AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Log - Discus Take 3 (Now THIS is a discus!)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Project Log - Discus Take 3 (Now THIS is a discus!)

Yesterday, I officially took delivery of Rick's 2 lovely Piwowarski Red Turquoise discus. After seeing this big guy, I am inspired to REALLY do more for my fish!

a nice 6 inch long red turquoise with nice build.

Now if only his tank mate wasnt so scrawny

But I will put a divider together and split them.

This makes 3 of my 4 tanks occupied... it is probably about time to consider proper quarantining to see which fish can be mixed together.
    Last edited by kris2341; 11-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Project Log - Discus Take 3 (Now THIS is a discus!)

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    Yesterday, I officially took delivery of Rick's 2 lovely Piwowarski Red Turquoise discus. After seeing this big guy, I am inspired to REALLY do more for my fish!

a nice 6 inch long red turquoise with nice build.

Now if only his tank mate wasnt so scrawny

But I will put a divider together and split them.

This makes 3 of my 4 tanks occupied... it is probably about time to consider proper quarantining to see which fish can be mixed together.
    yeah, get that other one fed. It struggled in my small footprint tank to get away from that large one! It chased him around every time during feeding. It still got a small share, but it is in definite need of some TLC. Good call with the divider, that should definitely help. Keep me updated.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

That big guy truly is an amazing specimen, though he really needs to be with fish of similar size and muscle... so I have to look into that.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

divider officially set between them.

These two aren't really active eaters and it bugs me a bit... the big guy only goes up to eat the FD blackworms when they have been sitting in the water for awhile, making the water smelly... rather annoying. Oh well, the end of the day is a 100% water change anyways so as long as they remain healthy then great!

On the other hand, my little potato chips on the left swarm their food and devour it instantly, so I am guessing If the big discus were in a larger group, the numbers would spur them to actually eat quickly? Looks like I need to acquire 3-4 more fish to stick in the tank. I think i can handle the bio load of 6 fish in a 40 gallon as long as I do no less than 100% water changes.

I ordered a Lee's off the shelf divider but when it came to me, it was the wrong size so i just gave up and decided to use some zip tied egg crate and some suction cups I had. MUCH better.
    Last edited by kris2341; 11-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

The reason they do not eat as much as your juvies and growouts is because they are almost adults, if not adults already. Adults do not require as much food as growouts would. The most I fed them at my house was 3x max. FDBW morning, Discus pellets and BH before water change.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

beautiful Kris !! can't wait till he grows out to full size !!!!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    beautiful Kris !! can't wait till he grows out to full size !!!!
    I can't wait either Marnie, hopefully my husbandry skills are up to growing them out nicely and that these two will eventually like my cooking....

So far ever since I got Al's FD Blackworms, my fish stopped going for my turkey mix, somewhat saddened by this... They pick at it, but with the enthusiasm of a 5 year old being forced to eat his veggies.

Guess I just have to get some better recipes in once the first sets of turkey mix are done.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I can't wait either Marnie, hopefully my husbandry skills are up to growing them out nicely and that these two will eventually like my cooking....

So far ever since I got Al's FD Blackworms, my fish stopped going for my turkey mix, somewhat saddened by this... They pick at it, but with the enthusiasm of a 5 year old being forced to eat his veggies.

Guess I just have to get some better recipes in once the first sets of turkey mix are done.
    Check out John's BH receipe

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

guess i'll start by spicing it up with shrimp!

Just a heads up. My adults eat only two times a day. They also tend to eat in spurts. I use a feeding cone upside down for FDBW because it holds the food in until actually picked at by the adult fish. Then the food doesn't stay loose at the top of the tank and you can leave the food in longer without it dropping to the bottom of the tank. Even my catfish including corys swim to the cones to eat. You might want to try that for the adults. I even use it on my smaller discus as well. Rufus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

good to know! I have several feeding cones here.

good to know! I have several feeding cones here.
    Be patient. It takes them a bit of time to figure it out but they do. You can position the feeding cone lower in the tank so they notice it more or you can put it at toward to the top of the tank. Just watch where they each prefer to eat and then position the cone at approximately the same height.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

I just noticed something... the big guy apparently is watching the scrawny guy eat, and if his cube gets close to the divider, the big guy quickly goes to it, grabs it through a hole in the egg crate, and pulls it through to his side and eats away at it quickly...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Do you have a feeding station? They are use to feeding from one. Also, if you have an top current, turn it off during feeding so it doesn't venture over to the other side.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

most I have are worm cones that I havent used in ages, will try and set something up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast