ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Consevation of our wild fish

Default Consevation of our wild fish

I am wondering if this group supports any groups trying to ensure we can get wild stock and preserve them for the future. It has been brought to my attention that, and I quote one mans perspective, "the USA is not a signatory to the Convention on Biodiversity (CBD) and thereby we do not view that any international agreements with respect to biodiversity are binding on the us. The CBD calls for benefit sharing but this therefore does not apply to the USA. So the US tropical fish importers benefit but do not plow back any of their profits into local communities or research.

The importation of fishes will become more and more difficult as the regulations regarding the CBD kick in. In future CBD signatories will have to sign benefit sharing agreements with countries of origin and feed back some of their income and profits."

While this is probably going to be a very controversial subject we have to look to the future or our hobby will consist of only captive raised fish. I like my domestic discus, but am for having wild stock in my tanks, as I have come to appreciate the beauty of what has come from natures waters.

Aquarium, This site explains one group's efforts and I am helping in this project, and I hope others will also.

Dick Lambert
    Last edited by DLFL; 11-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Consevation of our wild fish

Moved here as it isn't feedback re SimplyDiscus.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Default Re: Consevation of our wild fish

The market for F1, F2, F3 is not that large. There are way more people that prefer the domesticated strains. This makes the demand smaller and also more challenging to sell offspring of wilds. The price of a wild discus is low in the US and in Europe the same as domestics. This makes a small demand for offspring of wilds and this also makes it less attractive for commercial breeders to set up a wild line.
    Another issue is the larger challenge on getting wilds to pair up and breed. Their parental skills are way better compared to domestic strains but it is more challenging to make them feel perfectly fine so they start breeding.
    I have a wild pair that breed for me but I don't intend on setting up a line because people don't want to pay a normal price and want to pay maximum of 50% of LFS price of domestics. This does not cover my expenses and I don't even count all the time spent on raising the fry.

I remember the same discussion on SD about this subject about 5 years or so ago. I expect nothing has changed and the demand for wilds and their offspring did not increased much. I guess all depends on demand and price.