AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus N Sting Ray

Registered Member

Default Discus N Sting Ray

Presently I have a 6 foot planted tank with 17 medium size of assorted discus and two small Altum anglefishes.

I would like to add one sting ray to the tank.

Your advise/suggestion please.

Thank you

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: Discus N Sting Ray

I have seen these coexist in some tanks, but bottom line... don't do it.

If it is something like a motoro stingray from the amazon, it will not be happy in that tank and you simply will not be able to keep them long term as they get HUGE. Sure you see cute little rays in the store, I used to see them here until I think they became illegal to sell.

To keep a motoro ray or any other freshwater ray that i know of long term, you would need a system on the order of 2000-3000 gallons and a pure sand bottom. They get 4 feet in diameter about...

Real Name
    Michael

In your situation Ananthan, I will not recommend a stingray in your planted tank for many reasons. I have been raising and also breed wild stingrays for many years. A motoro stingray is one of the most hardiest stingray that you can keep but they do require a minimum 150 gallons tank at 6 inches, these stingrays in the wild they can grow up to 36 inches in disc size but in captivity they will grow up to 23 to 24 inches. Most stingray require the width of the tank and not the height and they do require a lot of water circulation with a very good filtration system, they do release a lot of bio-load and sand substrate. I have raised Wild tiger stingray along with Wild discus together for almost 5 yrs together. You can watch a short clip here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...00#post1125300
    Last edited by mikediscus; 11-14-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Very nice tank and fish, surprised to see a ray keeper around here. But there's the best answer for you Anathan!

The plants need to go if a ray is to be put in and you would need to consider tank width and filtration requirements. Boy, seeing those, I wish I got some before they went illegal here in California. But then again, the last time i saw them I was barely over 10.

Registered Member

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Yes, I have decided against the idea of having a sting ray with my discus.

Once again thany you.