ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weeds

Default Re: Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Nice! I'm positive the end result will be a well planted aquarium. Will you go with Altums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I'm not sure yet, altums are probably my favourite species - and yep I know I shouldn't say that on a discus forum - but discus are such a close second ... also the season has passed for wild caught altums so if I went that way I may have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Paul,
    Looking Good my friend, I will be watching as you "grow" this project! I'm Jealous actually, my tank is months away from being started.

-al
    Thanks Al, I was getting itchy feet and needed a tank running
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Well not much to report after the first week. Added a couple of drop checkers, I'm using two to make sure I've got the right level of distribution. I've also added a koralia 1600 circulation pump.

Decide to go with a fairly standard EI dosing method which is macros day 1, 3 & 5, micros day 2 & 4. Water change on day 7 (Sunday). I'm using dry ferts.

No livestock yet and won't be for a few weeks.

Anyways, here's a quick snap
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Really nice, Are you getting anxious to get the fish in, or you more patient then me? The wood is nice... is it one you found?

Quote Originally Posted by Tictok View Post
    Really nice, Are you getting anxious to get the fish in, or you more patient then me? The wood is nice... is it one you found?
    Thanks. No, not anxious at all re livestock. The wood was given to me by a friend.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Nick Klimkowski

It looks great Paul, it is really filling in nicely. I love the simple clean cut aspect of the tank, every thing is organized and has its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klimkowski View Post
    It looks great Paul, it is really filling in nicely. I love the simple clean cut aspect of the tank, every thing is organized and has its place.
    Thanks Nick, I'm itching to trim a couple of the Pogostemon helferi but ideally need to wait a couple more weeks for them to properly establish.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Nice setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Suus View Post
    Nice setup!
    Thank you
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Just a little update. I've added a few shrimp as the lfs had some decent quality ones in at the right price! (and the gave me a discount too )

Maintenance has been pretty much the same, doing water changes twice a week at the moment until the tank settles - believe it or not it helps manage the algae risk There is always a little algae at startup and I'm seeing a small amount of brown algae which is typical in new tanks, it does mean I may need to maybe tweak the ferts some, but for now it isn't at all bad and a quick wipe down manages it. I'll give it a few more weeks before worrying though.

I'm running under 30ppm CO2, and may have to up it a bit as the HC isn't growing as fast as I'd like, though it still pearls, but as it pearls more after a water change that would support needing more CO2. The dry ferts are still going in on a macro day 1, trace day 2 basis.

Generally growth looks good, the swords are doing well, as is the Eleocharis acicularis (dwarf hair grass) is going mad and needs trimming, the Pogostermon helferi is also doing well and had a very minor trim. The Cyperus helferi looks to be doing ok too, just the HC is proving to be a challenge (as expected really - ideally needs high light and high CO2). I may move it around in a week or two if it doesn't get it's act together Might make some room for some e.tennellus or Lilaeopsis maybe.

Anyway, a few pics

Crystal Red Shrimp

Another crystal red

Pearling Hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears)

Full tank shot

Hope you enjoy
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Nice clean scape and perfect photography as well, will try similar in future!!!

Nick Klimkowski

The plants are filling in nicely. The shrimp are a nice addition to the tank. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    Nice clean scape and perfect photography as well, will try similar in future!!!
    Thanks on both counts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klimkowski View Post
    The plants are filling in nicely. The shrimp are a nice addition to the tank. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Nick, I'll definitely be trying to keep it going Just wish the HC would get a move on!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Nice tank. Planted tanks are my real passion. I feel a different more branchy piece of wood would compliment more so than a big clunky piece of wood but this does look very clean and healthy. Any reason why you did not slope your substrate at all from front to back nor left to right?? The white background looks very nice good choice. Are you planning on adding any red plants as the tank matures??
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Nice tank. Planted tanks are my real passion. I feel a different more branchy piece of wood would compliment more so than a big clunky piece of wood but this does look very clean and healthy. Any reason why you did not slope your substrate at all from front to back nor left to right?? The white background looks very nice good choice. Are you planning on adding any red plants as the tank matures??
    Hello Jack, thanks for the comments. As far as the wood goes, I used what I had available, having said that I prefer chunky wood. The substrate is sloped, it may not appear so in the photos but it slopes from front right to back left as you look at it.

As for additional plants, I may well add some later, but at the moment the only change I'm considering is to condense the planting of the HC and put some tenellus or Lilaeopsis in. Tropica do Lilaeopsis mauritana which requires less light than Lilaeopsis brasiliensis so that would be a good choice near the wood where there is less light!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

beautiful. Definitely needs some altums. BTW, what is a drop checker?
    Jay

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast