ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weeds

Default Re: Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    beautiful. Definitely needs some altums. BTW, what is a drop checker?
    Jay
    Thanks Jay And yes Altums are a possibility if I can get some (they are my favourite).

The drop checker are the clear glass devices you see on the front glass. They contain a 4DKH water solution with bromo blue in it - this is what is used in pH test kits for so called low value pH, i.e. under 7. Water with a hardness of 4DKH will go lime green at a pH of 6.6 which indicates that there is 30ppm CO2 present! The solution is separated from the tank water by an air gap. (I guess I could just of said it measure the CO2 present )
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice looking tank Paul. With regards to the shrimp, that is a red Cherry shrimp, or what some may call a fire red cherry shrimp, but it isn't a crystal red shrimp.

When I took a break from discus, I started quite a few planted tanks. I ended up with some really high grade shrimp. Higher end CRS was what I was breeding mainly but I did do some German-imported OEBT's and I remember those being a pretty penny. To the toon of $250 or so for 4 if I remember correctly. The shrimp hobby can become as expensive as the discus hobby I soon found out, lol. The planted tank hobby was just as expensive and as time-consuming as well.

Good luck with your tank, and please keep us updated.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hello Ricardo, thanks for correcting me on the shrimps - as you can probably guess they are not my strong point I was judging at the Belgian show last year and they had a heck of a display of shrimps, must have been 50+ tanks of them. Some were very expensive!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Hello Ricardo, thanks for correcting me on the shrimps - as you can probably guess they are not my strong point I was judging at the Belgian show last year and they had a heck of a display of shrimps, must have been 50+ tanks of them. Some were very expensive!
    Yes, they can get pricey. Shrimp breeding is very easy for the beginner, but when you get in to top grade stuff, you must know the lines, just as with discus. There are so many varieties out there now that it boggles the mind.

Anyways, do you plan on having a lot of shirmp in here? Will you leave them in permanently if you add the discus or anglefish? They tend to make a quick snack of them from my experience.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

No intention of removing them. As and when I add fish, if they eat them so be it (won't be the first time). No idea of these will breed or not, if they do then free food for the fish, if not, well no matter The plants will be much more grown in before any fish get added, that may give the shrimp extra hiding places

I view these as purely utility, albeit interesting.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Awesome looking setup Paul.

On your substrate, it did not look very deep. I was always under the impression you need at least 3" to 4" to give the roots a good foothold. Either way it is taking off nicely for sure. Can't wait to see it in 3 months or so.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Awesome looking setup Paul.

On your substrate, it did not look very deep. I was always under the impression you need at least 3" to 4" to give the roots a good foothold. Either way it is taking off nicely for sure. Can't wait to see it in 3 months or so.
    Thanks Jeff, the substrate is around 3" at the deepest part (back left as you look) but it needn't be quite that deep when using something like Tropica underneath, you can get away with 1 1/2".
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I like the tank Paul. As usual you frustrate me with your photos, but only because mine never turn out as nice.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I like the tank Paul. As usual you frustrate me with your photos, but only because mine never turn out as nice.
    Thanks Len, sorry about the photos I have had a bit pf practise over the years though
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Francis

Very nice planted tank.......what happened to the big project fish room that you built a few years back?.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Very nice planted tank.......what happened to the big project fish room that you built a few years back?.
    Thanks Francis. The rooms still there, the project has changed a little
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I haven't previously heard about the Tropica Plant Growth Substrate, but will look into that more.

Where in the UK did you manage to buy this pool filter sand by the way? All the ones I've seen look ridiculously bad, and I obtained sand samples from half a dozen sand suppliers trying to find something that looked decently light and neutral, without any luck!...

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I haven't previously heard about the Tropica Plant Growth Substrate, but will look into that more.

Where in the UK did you manage to buy this pool filter sand by the way? All the ones I've seen look ridiculously bad, and I obtained sand samples from half a dozen sand suppliers trying to find something that looked decently light and neutral, without any luck!...
    ukpoolstore.co.uk
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Looking great shrimps are fun! I found blue lobster babies too but I managed to kill all sbrimp and lobster too
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Just wondering how this tank is coming along now Paul? Any updated pics of it? Fish in it yet?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast