AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED lighting

Registered Member

Default Re: LED lighting

new tank 2.jpg
    Here is the updated tank, have almost rescaped the whole thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Braydon00; 03-17-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Registered Member

Hi Firebox (and everyone else)... after hearing so many rave reviews about Build My Led lights I've decided to go with them for lighting of my 125 aquarium. However, I've emailed them twice and have no response... once was to the contact email address listed on their website (support@buildmyled.com) and the second email was submitted via their 'contact us' web page (for that I filled in and clicked the submit button). I have not heard from them and am a bit frustrated... It's been 6 days from the first email. I would happily give them my money but this delay in a reply (even a reply telling me they are currently swamped but will get back with me as soon as they are able to) would be sufficient.... Just wondering if any of you happen to have personal contact with them and might have some insight for me..After all the reviews and positive feedback, I must say I'm disappointed thus far... :-(

Registered Member

At the other end of the price spectrum, I have been pleased with 'Beamworks' LED. It looks very similar to Marineland (probably a knock-off), but it's a lot cheaper. I bought a 48 inch version for my 75 gallon for about $45 on Ebay. You can also get a timer module that programs the blue / white lights separately. Light quality is great, especially compared to previous fluorescent tube. And so far no LEDs have failed.

Registered Member

When I ordered I called and got an answer right away.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

It's best to call them and be prepared for a wait to build your lights, overall it's worth the wait build time and price. If you get these lights you will be disappointed.

Registered Member

Thank you so much Farleys, Bradon00 and Farebox... I truly appreciate your responses! I will look in to the Beamworks for sure and see if I can reach out to BuildMyLed via phone (which is a challenge with my job...thus my attempts to reach them via email). Thank you all for your input and responses... I am very appreciative!!

Registered Member

Red face Re: LED lighting

Sorry, it's 'BeamsWork' (not BeamWorks).

Registered Member

any updates??

Registered Member

Hi tonydiscus.... I STILL have yet to hear from BML, quite disappointing I will be sure to give a heads up to folks who attempt to reach BML that they may end up never hearing back from them.. so unfortunate......BUT, it has all worked out because I ended up getting the Finnex 24/7 and they ROCK!! My Discus colors POP, the plants are super happy thus far and overall I'd give the Finnex 24/7 a 5 star rating! It was meant to be! Thanks for checking in tonysdiscus...I'll attempt to post photos as soon as I can figure out how to do it! :-)

Registered Member

I have the Finnex 24/7 as well! I have it on my dirted 46 bow with angels and its awesome! You're right the colors really pop with it. Do you use the 24/7 feature or use your own memory slots? I found that if I use the 24/7 I have algae problems and my plants don't seem to like it. I use the memory setting and have the lights on for 8 hours a day. I really like the customizable options for it!

Registered Member

I have 2 36 inch Finnex 24/7 and a 48 inch Finnex monster Ray, the lights are very nice. The fixtures r sleek and light. I live mine.

lighting is changing so fast and the availability of led bulbs is cheap. You can purchase one and pay a lot of money or go to your home depot type store and get 100watt Led in day light or warm light and create your own lights.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Second that Skip, you will not be disappointed with the light. It may take awhile to build, just wait. I am really digging my light, plus fish are cool and finally growing some plants. Excellent buy!
    How big of a light did you go for for your 125 I was thinking of upgrading in a few months. I haven't checked out BML yet but everything else I've seen only has up to 48" was thinking of getting two 36" lights

Registered Member

If you have a planted tank I would get more lighting or 2 strong 36" lights with strong reds. If its only for the discus youre ok with just about any led setup, mostly since discus like a dimmer setup. BML would be pretty expensive if you were to buy 2 36" lights.....most likely around $400+. If you go to BML website they sell LEDs for your 125, I would go that route. Be prepared to wait for a month after you order though, it takes awhile for them to build it. Its a great quality light though!

Silver Member

I chose another alternative.

I designed and built my own custom RGB LED remote control system. There are two remote controlled channels: one controls the lighting for the fish and the other lights up the background. Each independently controls intensity, color, and various programmed sequences. There are two holding fixtures, one for the LED strips and a second for the power supply and receiver/driver controls. The second is mounted in the cabinet below the tank.

This allows me to sit in my easy chair and change the lighting using the two remotes. Really quite stunning.

Here's where I got all the parts.

www.superbrightleds.com Then select "LED light strips & light bars"

They have lots of technical information at the website which is useful during the design process.

Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123