ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treating topically (Iodine, H2O2 etc)

Default Treating topically (Iodine, H2O2 etc)

There are many times when I have advised people to treat their discus (or any fish for that matter) topically, i.e. apply a treatment directly to the fish. On most occasions I have to advise them how to do it, and to many who have never done this before it can be daunting.

As I had need to treat one of my own discus I decided to get my lovely assistant (my daughter ) to photograph the process. I hope the following procedure and photographs allay any fears, it really is a lot easier than most people realise - until they have done it!!

As with any procedure preparation is key and understanding the process always helps.

The first step is to wash your hands, if you have an anti-bacterial soap or gel then use it, but don't get too hung up here. As long as your hands are clean it is fine.

The next step is to get all the materials ready and to hand that you will need. Note in the picture below I have chosen to use Iodine, this same procedure would apply to hydrogen peroxide or any other topical liquid medicine. You will need to make sure that wherever you choose to do this you have decent light available.

You will need to work smartly but you do not, and must not, rush. There really is no need to panic, the whole procedure here, even with taking photographs, took around 1 minute. Discus are perfectly fine being out of water for this relatively short length of time.

Materials needed, Iodine, cotton bud and a clean piece of kitchen roll.

The next thing to do is to net the fish. When I do this type of treatment I do it on the glass cover of the tank. It provides a nice flat surface and you do not have to move the fish far, also as mine have small florry lights above I have decent light to work by. Note how I have laid the net down with the fish in it, anything you can do to reduce handling is always a benefit, but again if you need to handle the fish do so!

Using the clean kitchen paper towel gently dab the affected area, use enough pressure to make good contact with the fish, you should see it's body deflect slightly under the pressure.

It is important that any dead skin or scales are removed and that the protective slime coat is also removed, we have to be able to apply the treatment to the affected area. You can just see a little blood on the kitchen paper towel.

Next dip the cotton bud into the Iodine, note how the cotton bud is wet with the liquid but that it is not dripping from it - we need to be in control of how much we apply and where we apply it! This is even more important if the wound is near the eyes or the gills.

Using gentle pressure apply the iodine directly to the affected area making sure that the edges of the affected area are also covered.

Take your time doing this, note in this picture that you can see just a little of the iodine on and around the wound.

This shows the extent of the treated area, and also shows that the surrounding area of the wound was in fact clear of slime coat.

A close up of the treated area.

Once the treatment has been applied wait for at least 20 seconds before returning the fish to the tank. In some cases it may be necessary to isolate the fish - I didn't on this occasion. With open wounds it is sometime necessary to add salt to the tank water, this is to avoid the fish from becoming dehydrated (yep I kid you not!).

Finally once the fish is safely back in the tank dispose of the used materials and wash your hands.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Default Re: Treating topically (Iodine, H2O2 etc)

Paul how often would you do this, daily until the fish heals or is this a one and done thing?

How effective is such treatment? I suppose you have no real way of knowing what could have happened to the fish if such treatment was not administered, but is treating the fish with iodine or H2O2 found to be effective?

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Quote Originally Posted by jsullins View Post
    Paul how often would you do this, daily until the fish heals or is this a one and done thing?
    Not something I'd do daily, but I would repeat if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    How effective is such treatment? I suppose you have no real way of knowing what could have happened to the fish if such treatment was not administered, but is treating the fish with iodine or H2O2 found to be effective?
    It is a fairly common treatment with koi that have ulcers so yes it is effective. The iodine/H2O2/PP etc kills any surface bacteria and mould/fungus spores and causes the wound to clog. I have also applied antibiotics the same way, just mixed the ab into a paste and applied. When using something like iodine or H2O2 on the fish, it cleans the wound just as it would on us.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Rick

Have you ever used a triple anti-biotic ointment?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Have you ever used a triple anti-biotic ointment?
    nope, but I don't see why it couldn't be used.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thank you!

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    nope, but I don't see why it couldn't be used.
    I have used it exactly in this way on several occasions with great success for superficial wounds.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I have used it exactly in this way on several occasions with great success for superficial wounds.......
    Just to make sure im understanding correctly we are talking about something along the lines of neosporin?

Real Name
    Rick

Just to make sure im understanding correctly we are talking about something along the lines of neosporin?
    yes, although I have never used that particular one. Usually just a rite-aid triple anti-biotic ointment or A & D ointment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

yes, although I have never used that particular one. Usually just a rite-aid triple anti-biotic ointment or A & D ointment.
    wow, ok I would have never really thought about using something like that or iodine for that matter to treat a wound. I guess my line of thinking would be that it would just come off in the water and not work. Good to know.

Real Name
    Rick

wow, ok I would have never really thought about using something like that or iodine for that matter to treat a wound. I guess my line of thinking would be that it would just come off in the water and not work. Good to know.
    eventually both do, although it does stay on longer than you might suspect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I used a similar method as you've shown Paul but I've always rinsed the area before return the fish back to the tank. Something about if affecting the fishes eyes/gills in a not so good way.

-Brandon
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Nice Write up Paul. Thats pretty much the same technique I use with both peroxide or Iodine. It works very well for cuts where there no established infection.. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

It can be intimidating the first time you do, but well worth it... You've actually got plenty of time to do this...people often worry that their fish will be out too long... I have had enough time to suture a fish! a dab of iodine or peroxide is easily doable.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice Write up Paul. Thats pretty much the same technique I use with both peroxide or Iodine. It works very well for cuts where there no established infection.. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

It can be intimidating the first time you do, but well worth it... You've actually got plenty of time to do this...people often worry that their fish will be out too long... I have had enough time to suture a fish! a dab of iodine or peroxide is easily doable.

hth,
    al
    Where is that "how to" with pics? . I kidd of course

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast