ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eating and acting normal but clear and stringy feces

Registered Member

Default Re: eating and acting normal but clear and stringy feces

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Best wishes Wencui...I hope your Discus recovers quickly. I would have recommended a different treatment than you are choosing, but I can respect your decision as they are your fish.

al
    Thank you. I will let you know whether it is working or not at last.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post

In other words-Use with caution.

-Rick
    Agreed. I have lost fish treating with meds.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Al,
    Just out of curiosity, what would you recommend to treat the internal bacterial issues? I know most of internal bacterial infections are just beyond help or never recovering to the full health.
    Wencui,
    Do you understand that theres a potential issue with subjecting a fish to heat as a treatment? If this fishes problem is bacterial, It will potentially make its condition worse. Heat treatment is probably one of the most misused and miss understood things we subject our discus to. Its often recommended to treat a fish suffering from an internal parasite like hexamita... you've already tried metro flakes and metro in the water with no effect. If it was a protozoan like Hexamita I would think you would have seen an improvement.

I would lean towards persistent bacterial issues here.

I would advise against using heat.

I would also advise on stopping feeding the BH mix until the fishes health returns... feeding that when a fishes digestive system isnt well often makes a bacterial issue worse.

hth,
    al

I would have recommended letting the fish rest with no meds for at least a week in normal temperature water, and no Beefheart mix...small feedings offered of easy to digest foods..and removed if uneaten. If that did not allow the fish to recover on its own and the fish was important to you, I would have suggested using kanamycin and metronidazole in the water at the same time, or if kanamycin was not availible I would have suggested using oxytetracycline or minocycline(maracyn 2) and Metronidazole concurrently. Normal temperatures, large daily water changes before dosing. Both methods can be very effective at dealing with internal bacterial infections especially those of the digestive track and organs, IME.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Al,
    I admit I was wrong. Yesterday the fish was showing a little bloating in the high temp. I stopped heating and lowered the temp to 82 over the night. I did a large water change in the hospital tank this morning. The bloating has gone. I just fed a tiny pinch FDBW and it ate. There was still stringy clear feces in the tank this morning. I will get some antibiotic medication from Angelsplus. I don't think it will recover itself because it only ate FDBW recently.
    I will order some Kanamycin Sulfate. Is that the same as kanamycin?
    The price of kanamycin is a little bit high. I probably will get Neomycin Sulfate.
    Are these two meds harming bio filter?
    I would have recommended letting the fish rest with no meds for at least a week in normal temperature water, and no Beefheart mix...small feedings offered of easy to digest foods..and removed if uneaten. If that did not allow the fish to recover on its own and the fish was important to you, I would have suggested using kanamycin and metronidazole in the water at the same time, or if kanamycin was not availible I would have suggested using oxytetracycline or minocycline(maracyn 2) and Metronidazole concurrently. Normal temperatures, large daily water changes before dosing. Both methods can be very effective at dealing with internal bacterial infections especially those of the digestive track and organs, IME.
    Last edited by wencui; 12-04-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Hi Wencui,
    The Kanamycin sulfate and Kanamycin are the same, don't use Neomycin though...its not as well absorbed. Better to get oxytetracycline or minocycline (LFS sell as a maracyn2) if you can't get the Kana. Dose the metro at 400 mgs/10 gals water. Yes these med can affect biofilters temporarily which is why its critical to do huge water changes daily before dosing. The Dose for the Kana or oxy depends on what you get.

http://jehmco.com/html/medications.html is showing all of them, not sure if they are in stock

Be Patient with the fish.. eating is a good sign, the feces you see is not something to panic on... Stress alone will cause that, best to let the fish rest a bit, unless it starts bloating .. if it does, you can try epsom to relieve the bloat..

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by wencui View Post
    I stopped heating and lowered the temp to 82 over the night.
    Not sure what the tank temp was when you decided to stop the treatment, but as I stated earlier, gradual increase and decrease is very important according to my source. He recommended raising a couple of degrees a day until the temp reached 96. You can go up to 98 if fish can handle it. If you started the heat treatment two days ago and you lowered the temp to 82 over night, that's a lot of temp swing in two days. Patience is key when treating sick fish. Good luck with the treatment.

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Real Name
    Rick

Go with the kanamycin. Oxytet doesn't work well in alkaline water (ph above 7.0)

I would give the fish at least 7 days from the end of the metro treatment before you start it on an anti-biotic
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 12-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I just had to stop it because the bloating was not a good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Not sure what the tank temp was when you decided to stop the treatment, but as I stated earlier, gradual increase and decrease is very important according to my source. He recommended raising a couple of degrees a day until the temp reached 96. You can go up to 98 if fish can handle it. If you started the heat treatment two days ago and you lowered the temp to 82 over night, that's a lot of temp swing in two days. Patience is key when treating sick fish. Good luck with the treatment.

Registered Member

Will do. Place an order tonight. When the order comes in, it is about the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Go with the kanamycin. Oxytet doesn't work well in alkaline water (ph above 7.0)

I would give the fish at least 7 days from the end of the metro treatment before you start it on an anti-biotic

I just had to stop it because the bloating was not a good sign.
    Understood. Good luck with your next treatment.

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Give an update. The fish has almost recovered completely. After I stopped heat treatment, I couldn't watch so many white/clear feces. Ordering the medication on line needs a week. The fish seemed suffering. I went to Petsmart and bought T.C. Tetracycline. After one day bath, the fish increased its appetite and largely decreased white feces. Today is the second treatment. The feces has become normal and the fish has been eating veraciously
    She is such a beautiful brilliant turk.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Ya...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by wencui; 12-07-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Give an update. The fish has almost recovered completely. After I stopped heat treatment, I couldn't watch so many white/clear feces. Ordering the medication on line needs a week. The fish seemed suffering. I went to Petsmart and bought T.C. Tetracycline. After one day bath, the fish increased its appetite and largely decreased white feces. Today is the second treatment. The feces has become normal and the fish has been eating veraciously
    She is such a beautiful brilliant turk.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Ya...tml?sort=3&o=0
    First I am glad the fish is on the mend. However, to give credit to the anti-biotic is a bit misleading. They just don't work that fast I am afraid, pretty sure you would have seen the same results with just good clean water and a little patience. At any rate congrats!

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happy to Hear Wencui!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

An update.
    After 10 days Tetracycline bath treatment, the fish has fully recovered.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123