AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Practice

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Practice

My goals today was to work on composition and getting the focus where I wanted it which was on the face of the cat.

DSC_7135 by plh, on Flickr
    DSC_7145 by plh, on Flickr
    DSC_7149 by plh, on Flickr

I lighten this one up a bit.
    DSC_7166 by plh, on Flickr
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 01-25-2015 at 06:22 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Not to sure about these. The green weed in the foreground distracts.

DSC_7175 by plh, on Flickr
    DSC_7176 by plh, on Flickr

Cat looks annoyed in this one
    DSC_7178 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

Bring 'em

edit: I need to stop replying without checking page numbers! lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

You are correct, the green weed is a distraction, but like I mentioned to you in the tortoise shots, sometimes you can't account for the environment, and it is better to shoot as is, then not at all.

With that being said, there are 2 that I like more than the others. 7176 because of the format that you chose to display it at. The angle, the subjects gaze and the composition of its head is good. My other pic would have to be 7145. Harsh sun, but nothing blown out in the highlights. The white area behind the subject is a bit distracting and I'm glad you didn't go for the lower vantage point, because it would have been a lot more distracting. I like that this almost feels like a candid.

With that in mind, I am a fan of candid shots, I am also a fan of subject connection with the photographer, but, with candids, there is a fine line between an interesting candid, and a shot that should have been binned. Within your series, not just this one, I would encourage you to be more selective of your shots. You are getting more comfortable with the camera now, and you need to start developing your photographic eye. In order to do this, you need to have forethought when you photograph, and if you have similar shots, chose one to display. This will save you a ton of time later in your photography career by training early on. Do not get me wrong though, the "non-displayable" shots still need to be taken, because without them, you won't know what makes one a keeper, and what doesn't. However, you have been on a fast pace in your training, and you are progressing nicely, and I want you to have that in the back of your head when you are shooting.

For instance, 7175 could have been scrapped because it is so similar with 7176. 7176 is clearly the winner here for the reasons I described above. Same goes for 7178. You could have kept 7178 and simply cropped off like you did with 7176 and it would look like exactly the same shot. So, in the future, try to move around more, and offer different perspective. Try something you've never tried before, say like, pushing your camera so close to the cat, and having the sky as the background. Think outside of the box, and see what shots you like. Soon, you will start developing a style all of your own and you can start molding your craft.

Once again, I tell you all of these things to encourage you because I see so much potential in you

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Ricardo, I went to take pictures of something else and the cat decided it was his turn. I sort of take advantage of opportunities so this was one of them. I did "sort of" try and plan the shots as much at the cat would cooperate. It become a little difficult to move when you are flat on your tummy.

Also what I am seeing with each of these little photo opts is your comments seem to be getting more "big picture" which is pretty cool I think.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm glad you see it that way Pat. I will take you on a journey through our Assignments agenda over at Dyxum. This will cover:

Basic Assignments:
    Rule of Thirds and Golden Mean
    Leading Lines
    Foreground Interest
    Perspective
    Shape/outline Silhouette
    Use of Fill-in Flash

Intermediate Assignments:
    High Key
    Low Key
    Softness
    Primary Colour
    Symmetry
    Pattern
    Texture

We go on to more advanced assignments as well. On Dyxum, you can not progress to the next stage unless your assignment submission is approved by one of us mods. We will focus on the Rule of thirds first

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Ricardo, check your inbox.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, check your inbox.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

A rough application of the rules of thirds.

Real Name
    Pat

Ricardo, a few from tonight. Focusing is becoming second nature. Trick tonight was speed light position.

DSC_7654 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_7648 by plh, on Flickr

The white dots are bubbles from the HOB filter
    DSC_7642 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_7629 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_7611 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Matt

Looking good Pat. I personally find the first most pleasing as far as balanced light goes, however if you've ever seen my photos I'm a big fan of that dramatic sharper light like your third pic. Washes out the color just a bit, but I "cheat" in post processing (again a bit more advanced and further on past basic technique) and add a bit of the color back in as well as hide all of the bubbles (talk about a tedious task), definitely not a throw away image there. The others are decent but some are dark, shadows, light shows through the fish, etc. This is where another light source/flash might come in to be used as a fill off to the side. Not one to illuminate the fish or stop the motion like the one above might do per say (though it does this to an extent), but take out that translucence or the shadows on the body. Discus are a funky fish, they either need to be turned perfectly or you start getting shadows or that translucence.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

These are good Pat, but I would like for you to invest in a cheap modifier for your flash. You are almost clipping on the shots where the light source is good. Some are dark as Matt suggests, but 1 and 3 are spot on. Too bad about the bubbles. I could take care of that, but it would take a while, lol.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Looking good Pat. I personally find the first most pleasing as far as balanced light goes, however if you've ever seen my photos I'm a big fan of that dramatic sharper light like your third pic. Washes out the color just a bit, but I "cheat" in post processing (again a bit more advanced and further on past basic technique) and add a bit of the color back in as well as hide all of the bubbles (talk about a tedious task), definitely not a throw away image there. The others are decent but some are dark, shadows, light shows through the fish, etc. This is where another light source/flash might come in to be used as a fill off to the side. Not one to illuminate the fish or stop the motion like the one above might do per say (though it does this to an extent), but take out that translucence or the shadows on the body. Discus are a funky fish, they either need to be turned perfectly or you start getting shadows or that translucence.
    Thanks Matt, of the five pictures the third is my favorite also. I am finding it hard to find a good position with the speed light with this group of fish. Not sure why. Sounds like another speed light maybe useful or bouncing the speed light off a bit of gutter mounted slightly above the speed light to provide more even illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    These are good Pat, but I would like for you to invest in a cheap modifier for your flash. You are almost clipping on the shots where the light source is good. Some are dark as Matt suggests, but 1 and 3 are spot on. Too bad about the bubbles. I could take care of that, but it would take a while, lol.
    No worries about the bubbles Ricardo. Can you go into more detail about the modifier you mention?

Thanks guys for the assist. Appreciate it.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Think I need a macro lens

DSC_7681 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Matt

I actually really like that Pat. Love being able to see another in the background and the tree roots. My only complaint would be that tree root in the upper right, probably unavoidable in the moment but once you see it its hard to un-see it kind of thing. A macro would be nice, but I get a sense of its world here. Not bad for such a small fish, wish the fish were just a bit sharper but its not to bad at a smaller resolution like that. If you went to crop it or view original size that's where you would really see it. Lighting on the fish looks excellent to me.

Beautiful fish btw, always wanted some of those.
    -Matt

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast