ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Practice

OK, took all the pictures. The camera was indicating Lo in the main window so think the pics will be underexposed. Will upload those shortly.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Well, these are not worth uploading. They are overexposed. Too much light, here's the pic at F1.8 but they are all similar to f22. I think the WB is incorrect.

DSC_6225 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Pat

OK, went back out and placed the WB on shady. Same result and then normal, also same result. Guessing that the ISO needs to be dialed down a bit or perhaps I am just lost. I also note that my AF-S went to A. Not sure how that happened.

Real Name
    Pat

Ok, after talking to my hubby who knows a bit about photography the way I composed the picture are wrong as I was looking edge on at the table and the Frisbee was only slightly elevated. I used a mango instead and got a much better result.

Real Name
    Pat

A better result

DSC_6236 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

Pat do you see the scale at the bottom of this picture? In your viewfinder, you should see that scale. I tried googling your bodies viewfinder and this is what I came back with:

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ok Pat, I just saw your EXIF data, and your problem for sure is your ISO. You need to dial that down to your base ISO, that should be either 100 or 200, you are currently at 2000. You have to be able to adjust the ISO manually, the camera shouldn't do that for you on aperture priority.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

The mango shot is much better. If you notice, the tree in the background is nice and blurry. On the frisbee shot, the tree isn't as blurry, which means, you focused somewhere closer to the tree.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Here you go Pat, I believe this is your problem:
    Adjusting ISO

You need to hold the ISO button and then scroll wheel down to adjust ISO. That is if I read that correctly.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Yea, I am not multitasking well yet with the camera. I have to think about where my fingers are to change the f-stop, then remember where I should be focusing and then adjusting the focus...can we say overload I will research the ISO later. Brain is too full ATM. lol

Real Name
    Ricardo

Here's the thing Pat, I could have easily told you to worry about 3 things, apeture, shutter speed and ISO in manual mode. However, I also want you to know what the other buttons do, so that when you have to employ them, you can.

So, in manual mode, you would set apeture and shutter speed individually. This gives you a lot more freedom to be creative, but it also makes it so that you have more work to do, but again, you could have tackled just those three things.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Understand Ricardo. I did note that at f-stop 16 and 22 the shutter speed seemed slower...or the camera took longer to take the picture.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Understand Ricardo. I did note that at f-stop 16 and 22 the shutter speed seemed slower...or the camera took longer to take the picture.
    indeed. they have an inverse effect. If the f/stop gets wider, then the shutter speed increases for the added light. If the f/stop gets narrower, the shutter speed decreases to compensate for the lack of light. This extends your exposure, which is why I mentioned early on that if your shutter speed got too low to increase your ISO to compensate for the slower shutter speed.

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    indeed. they have an inverse effect. If the f/stop gets wider, then the shutter speed increases for the added light. If the f/stop gets narrower, the shutter speed decreases to compensate for the lack of light. This extends your exposure, which is why I mentioned early on that if your shutter speed got too low to increase your ISO to compensate for the slower shutter speed.
    Hopefully not hi jacking this thread, but wanted to add something .

Theres also a depth of field relationship here Pat..

The smaller the aperture (ei..the larger the f stop number), The greater the depth of field...meaning the more distance in front of the object and behind the object will be in focus. To put it in perspective,.. if you focus on a person with the aperature openned wide to let maximum light in, the person may be in focus, but the background is out of focus... If you close the aperature down ( and have enough light) you get more infocus in front of an behind the person.

Pat, a trip to the library and pick up any old book on 35 mm SLR photography will really help you understand the relationships between light, aperature, and shutter speed.

Coming from the dinosaur age of print film, These are ingrained in my head, but can be difficult to understand when new to photography and used to the camera thinking.
    One thing that not mentioned much these days, is a rule we use alot in old school as a s starting point.. Its called the Sunny F16 rule....

I believe this article is along the lines of what Ricardo is trying to accomplish here...
    http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...sunny-16-rule/

HTH,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hopefully not hi jacking this thread, but wanted to add something .

Theres also a depth of field relationship here Pat..

The smaller the aperture (ei..the larger the f stop number), The greater the depth of field...meaning the more distance in front of the object and behind the object will be in focus. To put it in perspective,.. if you focus on a person with the aperature openned wide to let maximum light in, the person may be in focus, but the background is out of focus... If you close the aperature down ( and have enough light) you get more infocus in front of an behind the person.

Pat, a trip to the library and pick up any old book on 35 mm SLR photography will really help you understand the relationships between light, aperature, and shutter speed.

Coming from the dinosaur age of print film, These are ingrained in my head, but can be difficult to understand when new to photography and used to the camera thinking.
    One thing that not mentioned much these days, is a rule we use alot in old school as a s starting point.. Its called the Sunny F16 rule....

I believe this article is along the lines of what Ricardo is trying to accomplish here...
    http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...sunny-16-rule/

HTH,
    al
    Good article Al. I believe one of the main reasons we never hear of that rule anymore is because we have in theory an onboard light meter which is pretty accurate now-a-days. Additionally, many also have liveview histograms that help analyze and adjust accordingly.

When I go out with my film Minolta x-700, it is a good rule to follow though and one in which I see a great importance for.

The digital age has spoiled us significantly though, and many rules have gone by the wayside due to it.

My goal for Pat was simply to observe the difference betweena a wide open shot in relation to the background, and a very stopped down shot, also in relation to the background. In this manner, she would see how it is much more easy to keep things in focus to stop down, but also to show that there is a time and a place to open a lens up all the way. I hope that translated in to Pat's exercise

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast