ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Practice

Ricardo, I will repeat the exercise when the weather improves. Have a misty rain here all day.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

No worries Pat. We need more rain here in Southern California

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Here is a series of picture where I wish I knew how to change the ISO and perhaps the shutter speed. It was late on a cloudy rainy day and just could not miss the opportunity. One of these pictures is in auto mode. The rest at AP. I have only cropped the pictures.

DSC_6253 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6252 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6251 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6250 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6249 by plh, on Flickr

In this picture I bumped the fstop to F2.8
    DSC_6248 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6244 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

If you notice, your ISO is bouncing back and forth in some of the shots. This is due to auto mode I am sure, because you say you are not adjusting it. Take a look at the previous page, and it shows you how to take it off auto iso and how to adjust it.

Notice that at f/1.8, it is very easy to miss your focus. This is because your DOF (depth of field) is very small at that apeture.

In shot 6248 you missed the focus. On the following shot, 6249, you got the subject in focus. This exercise was to show you the increments of stopping down.

So, say you starting shooting the butterflies at 1.8, your next shot would have been at 2.8, then at 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16. In this manner, you would have progressively noticed that more things were in focus as you stopped down.

On AP, you can not change the shutter speed directly, but inderictly you can by using your exposure compensation. If you increase (+) your exposure compensation, it will decrease (-) your shutter speed, and vice-versa.

My favorite shots are 6250 and 6251, although the latter is a bit underexposed.

Also, remember to set your WB to something specific like shade, or cloudy. In this case, your WB is changing from one pic to the other, and this makes it more difficult to be consistent.

If I were to have approached this shot, I would probably have gone with f/4-f/5.6, Shutter speed around 1/60 and ISO 1,600, wb shade.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

You are right, I did not step thru the fstop. Also I thought the WB was set to shape and it is ATM. I did not change it but the EXIF says it is set to manual except one pic was auto (when I changed to auto for one pic)?? Confused on the manual setting for the WB.

Pat, I know you are keen to learn but I get the feeling you are trying to run before you can walk. I hope that doesn't upset you.

If you remember previously I have suggested that you master one aspect of camera control at a time, only moving on to the next once that is down pat (pun intended).

There is a basic relationship between aperture and shutter speed. ISO complicates matters but is easily factored in once you grasp this basic principle. In order to maintain the same exposure each time you stop down a lens (i.e. go from f2 to f2.8 or f4 to f5.6) you have to correspondingly decrease the shutter speed. So if f2 gave you 1/500 the f2.8 will give 1/250 and f4 will give 1/125 and f5.6 will give 1/60.

Where ISO comes into play is when at say ISO 100 we get 1/8 sec at f5.6 and we wish to use f5.6 for the DoF. We have two choices here (excluding a tripod ) Add more light or increase the ISO (or both - but that complicates things some). If adding more light isn't feasible then we are left with increasing the ISO. Now here comes the interesting bit ... ISO can also be considered in stops, so if ISO 100 gives 1/8 sec then ISO200 will give 1/15, ISO 400 will give 1/30, ISO 800 will give 1/60 and ISO 1600 will give 1/125. So each doubling of the ISO halves the shutter speed.

We have exactly the same relationship between ISO and Shutter speed as we do between shutter speed and Aperture. We also have the same relationship between ISO and Aperture, i.e. double one, halve the other. As we have three settings we often refer to this as the exposure triangle. ISO should be the last setting to change btw as the higher the ISO the lower the image quality.

OK, so some suggested camera settings for you (D7000 specific) ...
    • Switch off Automatic ISO - Menu, Shooting Menu (Camera Icon), ISO Sensitivity, Auto ISO sensitivity control = Off
    • Mode = Aperture Priority (top left hand dial set to A)
    • WB set to Auto WB - the D7000 is remarkably good with WB and shooting raw it can be adjusted at no IQ cost - Menu, Shooting Menu (Camera Icon), White Balance = Auto (cannot remember if there are multiple Auto modes)

Ideally you will be saving in raw format, if not I strongly suggest you start and if you need a fallback set it to record in Raw and JPEG fine, remember you have two card slots! I wished I'd saved more in raw. It is likely that the metering mode will be set to matrix, that's fine and should generally be left there.

Now when you half press the shutter release to activate the meters and autofocus you can now change your aperture by using the front command wheel. Simply rotate it left and right to stop down (e.g. f4 to f4.5) and left to open up (e.g. f5.6 to f5). Looking through the viewfinder you will see the shutter speed shown in the bottom left of the screen, usually something like 125 or 60 - this represents 1/125 and 1/60 etc ... On the lower right hand side you will see the ISO setting, literally small lettered ISO followed by a number (usually, can be Lo or Hi but ...). If the shutter speed needs adjusting and you don't want to change aperture then press and hold the ISO button on the back of the camera and rotate the Rear command wheel. The ISO button is located on the back of the camera on the left hand side as you look at it, second button up from the bottom. It only changes the ISO when NOT viewing images on the rear lcd. Practice this, as believe me it is such a time saver. It is second nature to me, but has only become so because I have practised and practised it!

The above is a lot to take in, and could be argued running v walking. BUT you need to master the basic camera controls if you are to progress and get out of Auto.

As a very rough guide with your 35mm lens you want to aim for a shutter speed no lower than around 1/60, even perhaps 1/100. Some people are better at holding cameras than others, I used to coach people to shoot so the technique is transferable, needless to say I can get decent results at lower than average shutter speeds, but as I'm getting older I'm finding it more challenging! The longer the lens, the longer the minimum shutter speed needs to be too. Rule of thumb is 1 over effective focal length - note the use of the term effective focal length, on a D7000 the effective focal length of the 35mm lens is 50mm (actually 53mm but ...) - I won't explain this just now, just accept it as said, the explanation is confusing

So given the above if you are using a zoom at say 150mm the shutter speed needs to be 1 over (150 * 1.5) or 1/250 at the nearest whole number ...

ISO is your ally, use it when you have to, but understand the cost in doing so. The cost is a decrease in image quality (IQ).

A little exercise when you have good light and a spare 15 minutes. Set the camera up as above (the suggested setting will only need applying once). Pick and object, preferably stationary. Stick your 35mm lens on and start at f1.8 and ISO 100 and shoot, then without taking your eye from the viewfinder, set the aperture to f2 and shoot again, note the effect on shutter speed. Then set the aperture to f2.8 and repeat, then f4 and repeat, keep going until you hit the min aperture of the lens (not sure if it is f16 or f22). Repeat but this time change the ISO to say 400 and note the effect on shutter speed. DON'T take your eye from the viewfinder! That would be cheating

Remember half pressing the shutter activates af and meters, use the front command wheel to change aperture, press and hold second button up on the rear left hand side and use the rear command wheel to change ISO.

This type of practice gets you used to using the controls and builds an understanding of the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. This is the foundation for everything else.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Pat

Nope Paul, not upset that all. Tomorrow should be sunny and I am known to run prior to walking sometimes. After I beat my head against a wall a time or two I slow down and go back to see what I missed. Tomorrow is play time.

Remember to read that guide I gave you, Thom Hogan is one of the very best photography teachers out there, his guides are excellent.

Practice can be fun (and should be most times) but be disciplined. Honestly, being able to control aperture, shutter speed and ISO really is the building blocks for everything else. Stick to A mode, even when you get frustrated! In due course you will instinctively know if you need to be in Aperture priority, Shutter priority or full manual. My coaching experience tells me that by following a disciplined approach, which may seem slow and tedious at times, you actually get there much quicker than a hap hazard try and everything and forget approach.

We've all been guilty of running before walking though ...
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Pat

Paul, I should start with the full guide on the CD. I already got lost in the "to go" guide.

Real Name
    Pat

I started reading the complete guide tonight plus ordered "The Camera" to help with the basics.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Good stuff Pat. Let us know if you have any questions.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Will do Ricardo. Funny thing is my hubby just handed me volume one of a two volume set. The title on volume on is "Photograghy" under that is "U.S. Bureau of Naval Personnel". It is printed in 1953.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Will do Ricardo. Funny thing is my hubby just handed me volume one of a two volume set. The title on volume on is "Photograghy" under that is "U.S. Bureau of Naval Personnel". It is printed in 1953.
    well, you will get the principals of photography in such an older volume which there is nothing wrong with, but, you will miss out on newer tech stuff. However, a lot of the newer tech stuff is really just bells and whistles gimmicky stuff. Read those books because they have a much more practical approach to photography that is often not done in modern age.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    well, you will get the principals of photography in such an older volume which there is nothing wrong with, but, you will miss out on newer tech stuff. However, a lot of the newer tech stuff is really just bells and whistles gimmicky stuff. Read those books because they have a much more practical approach to photography that is often not done in modern age.
    It covers a lot in interesting stuff from to basics to developing film and even infrared photography.

Real Name
    Pat

I went out and played with my camera and basically did as you suggested Paul with the f stop and ISO. I took the berry series, two cat series, and the butterfly series. This is my favorite of the lot even thru it is a bit dark.

DSC_6312 - Copy by plh, on Flickr

I will be graphing the fstop, shutter speed and ISO to show the change across fstops. I also did all my own focusing.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-13-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast