AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Practice

This is one from the cat series. Focusing is getting better.

DSC_6300 - Copy (2) by plh, on Flickr
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Ok, went out and played with the cat again. This is the best one.

DSC_6386 by phusband56, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

Good shot Pat. Let me give you some advice that got me ahead in my photography quickly.

-Try to shoot subjects on their level, in this case, it would have required you to lay down on the grass with Kitty and take the shot. This allows for a more pleasing background.
    -Always(well almost always) try to focus on the nearest eye of a subject. Remember that you always get more DOF [I]behindi[/url] a subject than in front of it, so it is always good to keep the closest eye to you tack sharp and have the DOF do its thing.
    -Amputated limbs are a tricky subject. In most cases, you do not want to cut off a subject where a limb looks like it was cut off. If you absolutely have to, then try to crop in between a joint. For example, if you take a shot of a person, and you need to cut them off for some reason, do it in between wrist and elbow, or elbow and shoulder, knee and foot, etc.

Lovely kitty though, and a great subject. If your cat is a cooperative one, then it is the perfect subject for you to practice on. Their eyes are very photogenic.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Ricardo, on this particular shot it was taken quickly do to getting that look in the cat's face and yea, I hate amputated limbs but took advantage of the moment.

Good points BTW.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-14-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

It happens to all of us. It still happens to me regularly, because you try to juggle a million "rules" in your head and one is bound to slip, lol. Photography rules can always be broken, and I often do, but it is good to know the rule and know when you are actually breaking one intentionally.

Keep 'em coming.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Here's the best one Ricardo but was a little closer to the cat then I wanted to be hence missing parts. I do feel I got the focus on the foreground eye.

DSC_6417 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Pat

I kind of like this one too.

DSC_6419 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Here's the best one Ricardo but was a little closer to the cat then I wanted to be hence missing parts. I do feel I got the focus on the foreground eye.

DSC_6417 by plh, on Flickr
    I typically do not advocate "pixel peeping" (enlarging a photo to see fine detail), but I wanted to pixel peep this photo to make sure you are getting focus correct. Unfortunately, you did not. One way to pixel peep in Flickr is by clicking on your photo, then click on the 3 dots on the bottom right corner of the picture. Select view all sizes, and view the photo in a large format, in my case, I went with 2048. At this size, you will notice that your focus as actually not on the foreground eye, but rather the patch of grass in the foreground. I only bring this up so that you are aware that somewhere along the line, you are missing focus. This may be due to your focus spread. If you are shooting in wide, the camera will decide where it will focus.

I typically shoot in spot focus, because I can tell the camera exactly what I want in focus. In your case, you would have acquired focus on the foreground eye by half pressing shutter, then, when focus on eye and still holding the focus, you recompose your shot (make it a good format shot) and take the photo. I hope this makes sense.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

It does Ricardo...more practice.

Real Name
    Ricardo

It does Ricardo...more practice.
    See, that is why I like interacting with you. Many would have taken offense to being told they didn't do something to the best of their ability. You take it in stride, and strive to get better. Those are the qualities of a person eager to learn

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    See, that is why I like interacting with you. Many would have taken offense to being told they didn't do something to the best of their ability. You take it in stride, and strive to get better. Those are the qualities of a person eager to learn
    I'm here to learn Ricardo. If I got all bent out of shape then I do us both a disfavor. Also if you compare the two pictures from today. I think the focus is more spot on in the second picture as the grass acts as more of a blurred frame in front of the cat. In the first picture the glass is nice and sharp.

Real Name
    Ricardo

You are correct. On the second one, the focus is spot on. The thing that hinders this photo is the underexposure due to the sun casting a shadow. This is unavoidable of course, but sometimes, shadows can be brought up and still keep a natural looking photo.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

I seem to like taking awkward pictures. Overall I do feel my pictures are getting better.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I seem to like taking awkward pictures. Overall I do feel my pictures are getting better.
    Noticing the growth is key here because ultimately it will be you who will be the judge of what you like and what you don't like. So long as you notice a sense of progression, you are on the right path. Keep sharing

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Noticing the growth is key here because ultimately it will be you who will be the judge of what you like and what you don't like. So long as you notice a sense of progression, you are on the right path. Keep sharing
    I think the best part is I am enjoying messing with the camera

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast