ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Looks like HITH

Registered Member

Default Looks like HITH

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

One fish that is a little over a year old is developing pits on his head. I have noticed this problem developing for more than 2 weeks.

2. Symptoms (i.e. , excess slime, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Dark color, sometimes this fish develop a small white spot on the body that seems like a fungus.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I haven't done anything yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75g tank 20g sump. 7 discus 5-6.5 inch. 3 plec. 7 black neon. 1 Betta.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

40% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Running 14 months Bare Bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age water 24hrs. Ph swing is .5 or less.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82-84___

- ph __7___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __<5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water _100%___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Added the betta 8 days ago.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I feed twice a day with home made beef mix. Has beef/fish/peas/garlic/paprika/pellets/flakes/bananas/vitamins
    This particular fish has always been a slow eater so I feed him by hand often. He also gets beaten on constantly by the other fish.

Registered Member

Default Re: Looks like HITH

I did a search but I didn't find anything that was conclusive about this subject. Anyone have some advice?

Default Re: Looks like HITH

Fish looks stressed. It is showing signs of hith symptoms in as much I can see some pits around the face and gills. They will develop these symptoms when continually stressed. Need to resolve whatever is stressing it, be it tank mates (plecs etc) or water quality. There is always one fish that gets picked on.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.