ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Warehouse Fish Room

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

Default Warehouse Fish Room

Just finished up this project this weekend. My first time building anything other than a double 55 gallon stand. Learned a lot and know what I would do differently next time!

All of the wood came from my aunts old deck that she tore down. I got about 25 15 foot 2x6s. The insulation was a bunch of leftovers we had laying around from other projects. The nails were leftover from my parents when they built their deck. Only thing I had to buy was the 6 mil plastic sheeting that I used to wrap the fish room. So I have $50 into this whole project. That will probably double as I have to get some electric run for lights and outlets on the wall I built, but a $100 fish room is pretty cheap.

Here are some pics. Its messy right now, but it works!

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Warehouse Fish Room

Very interesting, is this warehouse heated? In hudsonville Mi? Do you rent space

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

My dad rents the warehouse and adjacent office for his business. This space was mainly unused and he likes what I am doing with Tilapia, so he let me build this little area.

The warehouse is heated, however its not insulated that well, so its not cheap to do so. That why I did the room.It's in Jenison. Behind the marathon station on port sheldon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    paul

Great work, saw you on MFK too. I think you win the award for most bang for the buck. I'm sure it will be a lot more economical to keep them heated with this room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

Quote Originally Posted by paulW View Post
    Great work, saw you on MFK too. I think you win the award for most bang for the buck. I'm sure it will be a lot more economical to keep them heated with this room.
    i was amazed at how cheap I was able to do it. I was planning on spending $300-$400.

I eventually want to find a more efficient way to heat it, but for now I just have a 1500 watt space heater. Gotta get a thermometer to get an exact temp in there, but I'm guessing its low to mid 70s

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

You now your blessed when you can build a fish room in a warehouse

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Jbell View Post
    You now your blessed when you can build a fish room in a warehouse
    I was/am very fortunate. I don't expect it to last very long, probably till begging of summer. One of the reasons why I wanted to build it on the cheap side.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

Mini Update with no pictures.

I have some insulation on the roof and blocking up all the little holes. Built myself a rack thatll hold six 20 gallon tanks on the bottom, and nine 10 gallons up top.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

So obviously, I am horrible at keeping my threads updated. Room is setup very different now, and I am in the process of redoing half of it yet again.

Question for ya'll, I am working on getting my air pump piped around the whole fish room so all I have to do drill and tap a valve into the PVC pipe for air access. It'll be neater and more space and cost efficient. My question is, what size PVC pipe should I use? 1 inch? 3/4 inch?

Real Name
    Tony

It depends how many tanks and what's size of air pump or blower. Im using 1/2" for my diagram 45 pump. Check out and call jehmco. He will tell what size of air pump fit your needs.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"