ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: newbie from canada

Default newbie from canada

hi everyone new to the hobby..got into discus from there beauty and majestic look i will be setting up a 150G tank with driftwood and anubias plants, bare botton,
    two filster xp3, with turbo twist 9w uv sterilizers on each, 300w heater with controller, sponge filters with airstones. natural daylight led lights.there will be dark regions for shelter and shade.. any suggestions on this project is welcomed.. will also have a 50G food grade container for water changes..

Default Re: newbie from canada

Welcome to the forum - nice to hear from another new member from Canada.
    Don't know of any breeders in the immediate Toronto Area, but you might want to check out Upper Canada Discus (Bob Garside) in/near Barrie, Ont., who is a reputable breeder/importer of high quality discus, and who will likely have the size of discus you're looking for.
    In that regard, I had noticed you were looking for a breeder, and posted 2 inquiries in separate sections of the forum. No need to duplicate your request postings, - SD members will answer your queries, if they can, with just a single post in either the breeders' fry, or I am looking for, sections.
    Your intended set-up sounds good - sounds like you've done your homework.
    Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-08-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Real Name
    Ralph

Welcome to SD....
    As Paul mentioned Bob has Discus that will exceed your expectation and just that time of season as he also makes Maple Syrup. Rick Grange is a sponsor here from B.C who carries quality Discus and no Custom charges.
    Vern Archer has been quit lately but you can also try him. I suppose you've done your homework in selecting Discus. Being that you have a 150g indication that you are looking for Adults 5"-6" plus which can run you $100-$250 ea. Stay away from big-box or LFS unless you know the source of Discus are from a reputable one. Pay now for quality or pay 2-3 times more to replace poor quality later.
    I have ordered outside Canada in the past with good results which is an option.

Enjoy the addiction,
    ...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 12-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Check out Golden Ocean on Leslie and Highway 7. He's an importer and has some decent stock. I got my White Butterflies/LSS/SS from him.