ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus setup, help for former discus keeper.

Default New Discus setup, help for former discus keeper.

To make a long story short I had discus several years back, but lost them all due to chloramines in my water and my ignorance of it and buying discus from multiple unreliable sources. Life threw me for a loop and now that I'm back on my feet, I'd like to try discus again.

Looking at buying a 40 gal breeder tank to grow some juveniles out in. Looking at 5-7 2.5in discus. I know that this tank is not optimal due to gal/per discus, but will it work? The surface area of this tank is decent, but I don't know if that plays into anything. My plan is to run an over sized canister filter to keep up on filtration along with at least every other day water changes.
    >>>> What Discus do when we're not looking.

Real Name
    Wes

Default Re: New Discus setup, help for former discus keeper.

Welcome back, Make it easy. A sponge filter, heater and power feed them. Change some water every day especially if you feed beef heart. Save the canister filter for when they are 6+ inches in your display tank.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Welcome back, Make it easy. A sponge filter, heater and power feed them. Change some water every day especially if you feed beef heart. Save the canister filter for when they are 6+ inches in your display tank.
    Well that saves some money. I have well water. I have a gold and red spotted severum that have grown huge and are extremely happy. Do you think if my water is good for them that the discus will do the same? I know I need to test my ph/kh.

Real Name
    Jordan

That will be just fine for size until bigger. I started by 5-6 in a 6 gallon cube. I just slowly move them. They are currently in my 20 gallon and i have 4 that are bigger then 3 inches each (Other then the runt) I move them to my 48 gallon soon.
    <º)))><
    ><)))º>

Real Name
    Jordan

Yes, Keep water quality up and make sure they are still eating. I was the same as you i had angel fish that got huge! Now to get my Discus that big!
    <º)))><
    ><)))º>

Real Name
    Wes

Just test ph then throw a air stone in for 24 hrs, check ph again. If there is not much of a change in your ph reading you can refill tank straight from the tap (82 degree water).
    Last edited by Wes; 12-15-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Just test ph then throw a air stone in for 24 hrs, check ph again. If there is not much of a change in your ph reading you can refill tank straight from the tap (82 degree water).
    That's my plan. My hope is that there isn't much of a ph change. lol How much is too much of a ph change?

Real Name
    Wes

I would age the water if there is more than .5 difference.

Registered Member

Hi please help me i have had a pair of discus just one week my tank is 180 l all as going fine once he had set his domain then my heater went i got a new one and the temp went up to much 30 i changed water and stadled at 26 now but fish are lifles and dark (she is he is a red so not so dark) what can i do

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by johnfanning21 View Post
    Hi please help me i have had a pair of discus just one week my tank is 180 l all as going fine once he had set his domain then my heater went i got a new one and the temp went up to much 30 i changed water and stadled at 26 now but fish are lifles and dark (she is he is a red so not so dark) what can i do
    26 is too cool. Ease it up to 28.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

welcome back on your feet

Quote Originally Posted by johnfanning21 View Post
    Make your own thread?