ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New but not really.

Real Name
    Ramon

Cool New but not really.

Hello Guys,
    Name is Ramon from Toronto Canada. New but not really. Been in the hobby since I can remember, had a total of 7 aquariums back then (3-75 gal. 2-60 gal and 2-40 gal.) Had 10 blue turq 8 flower horns and a lot of american and african chiclids. Have to give it all up when we migrated here. 3 years ago I started the hobby again with a pair of PB but have to give it up again 'cause my electric bill went so high. Pump light and heater being part of it but majority was still my electric range, aircons and electronics hence the need to cut back and the fish were the first to go. I recently moved to a new apartment and all being inclusive in my rent, I am now in the process of bringing my tanks back into life. I have 8 discus juvies at present that my kids gave me as Christmas present temporarily housed in a 10 gal. tank and will transfer them in a 30 gal. Grow out tank ASAP. Happy days are here again whahhooo...😄

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: New but not really.

Welcome back to the hobby . How small are these discus? I ask because a 10g tank is extremely small for a group of discus, even with daily massive 100% wc's. You run the risk of a crash in your tank. Just FYI. I know you said you will upgrade soon, but sooner will be much better than later.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ramon

Hi Ricardo,
    The story was it's kinda surprise as I saw it as soon as I walk in my room from work. Like I've said they are Christmas gift from my lovely kids. There it is sitting on a desk beside my bed. I was frantic as I know that the aquarium kit where they're in was not cycled and my kids know nothing about discus. They're okay now and growing fast. I got them Dec. 6 about 2-2.5 inch in diameter. I have a 30 gal. being prepared and cycled as of the moment. I do 80% WC daily on the 10 gal. They're all happy and eating voraciously and growing fast. They're starting the pecking order thing and the 3 2.5 inch are on top and the 5 remaining smaller ones are fighting it out on top of the food chain. Thanks for the concern Bro. much appreciated. Feeding them tetra bits and freeze dried blood worms for now and soon BH mix. Will transfer them on my 30 ASAP.
    Last edited by monching; 12-18-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Real Name
    Ramon

Will post a pic of them as soon as I figure out how to. hehehe...not a comp savvy sorry

Real Name
    Ramon

Day 1

Day 7

Real Name
    Ramon

Day 1

Day 7

Real Name
    Ricardo

No need to cycle the 30g if you do daily 100% water changes.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ramon

Thanks Ricardo or should I just call you rick, they are now in my 30 gal. tank and in the process of bringing my 60 gal. back to life but I don't like the look that my wife is throwing at me hehehe...just solved the problem by buying her a MK bag. They are doing good and about 80% WC every night at the same exact time. My problem now is where to put my 60 gal.
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."