AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 3 Month Update: Stendkers Grow Out of from 2.5"

Default 3 Month Update: Stendkers Grow Out of from 2.5"

A little late but it has been busy with the holidays. I was able to get the wife to help me today so I have ruler pics! It is amazing how much you can misjudge the size of a fish when it is in the water, behind the glass. Either my brain magnifies the size... or the glass and water do. I think it is a combo of both. I will say I am still learning quite a bit and will put everything to use when I pick up 15 more from Hans in 2 to 3 months.

So, I am looking for honest, and even brutal (John / Rick) input on these fish. Although I am proud I have kept these 8 alive after starting with ten, I am thinking I can do better the next time around.

I will start with my favorite. My novice eye thinks this one has the best shape and size of the bunch. He is also boss of the tank.
    current size is 4.5" (this one I could swear was at least 5 to 5.5 in the water)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    and in the tank
    [IMG][/IMG]

This one is a close second.
    current size 4.5"

and in the tank
    [IMG][/IMG]

My wife's favorite
    current size 4"
    [IMG][/IMG]
    and in the tank
    [IMG][/IMG]

the rest of the crew
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    My future hero fish. No idea why this little guy is so far behind but he is only 3". He and my Marlbor Red have become buddies. The red will chase every other fish away from FDBW cubes and lets this one hang out, munchnig away right beside him. Whenever there is trouble about, he hangs tight with the red. He has taken on the personality of big red as well. This little runt is a force to be reckoned with in the tank, chasing the other fish, twice as big, all over the tank.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And last but not least - a little video of the gang.

Let me know what you think. If you have criticism... don't hold back. I like people who shoot straight. I would rather hear it and use it to grow, so my next batch of 15 can benefit.

Likewise, if you have praise, I could use some of that too
    ​Greg

Default Re: 3 Month Update: Stednkers Grow Out of from 2.5"

Just wanted to say Greg, that I for one, like your style as a fairly new member of sd - I'm sure you'll be making a lot of friends among the membership as time goes on.
    As for your discus, while you likely know they're not show quality (mine aren't either), if you don't mind my putting it that way, nonetheless you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with the quality and shape of your fish.
    Good work - keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Just wanted to say Greg, that I for one, like your style as a fairly new member of sd - I'm sure you'll be making a lot of friends among the membership as time goes on.
    As for your discus, while you likely know they're not show quality (mine aren't either), if you don't mind my putting it that way, nonetheless you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with the quality and shape of your fish.
    Good work - keep it up.
    Paul, thank you. Really appreciate that. I am not offended at all. I think it would be miraculous for a first timer to produce a single show quality fish from such a small sample. As I understand, it is not just husbandry that will produce a show quality fish, but involves some luck of the draw as well. I would guess out of every 50 fry bred from award winning pairs, you might produce 1 or 2 potential show winners? (I am probably way off here)
    Not to say these won't be beautiful in my display tank once I decide to move them over, but show quality... nope

I also wanted to clarify something. In re-reading my post, it might appear I am zeroing on on John and Rick as being brutal... I should say, I respect both of these guys tremendously and they were the first that came to mind when thinking of people around here who do not pull punches and say it like it is. They are refreshingly, brutally honest... not brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
    So, I am looking for honest, and even brutal (John / Rick) input on these fish.
    Last edited by Tankster; 12-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    ​Greg

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Looks like you are doing a great job.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Looking good, Greg. Several years ago, I picked up three 3" ~ 3.5" juvies from Hans. Drop them in my 265G tank. One fish grew to be a stunning 6"+ fish and another one never made past 4" mark. Both were healthy and ate well. Not sure what happened to the third fish. Good luck with them.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Very nice Tankster, full-tank shots would be nice too. Great that your Wife in interested.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Looks like you are doing a great job.

-john
    Thanks John. I might reach out before I pick up the second batch to bounce some ideas off of you. Mostly around water quality and my well situation.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Looking good, Greg. Several years ago, I picked up three 3" ~ 3.5" juvies from Hans. Drop them in my 265G tank. One fish grew to be a stunning 6"+ fish and another one never made past 4" mark. Both were healthy and ate well. Not sure what happened to the third fish. Good luck with them.
    I would be more worried if they were all small but most are 4" to 4.5" with the exception being the two last fish in the post. I am still giving the second to the last a thumbs up as far as potential. It has good shape and reasonable fat stores in the forehead. If you look at the runt, you can see it has zero - the forehead pinches in at the eyes. I am going to use him as my hero fish when I introduce some Gold Laser Cory's I found from a local breeder on CCA (MAB), who travels to the Amazon to collect rare and new strains. Here is a pic of the Gold Laser - by far the nicest looking Cory I have seen.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
    Very nice Tankster, full-tank shots would be nice too. Great that your Wife in interested.
    Thanks Larry.
    Here are some full tank shots for you!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ​Greg

Default Re: 3 Month Update: Stendkers Grow Out of from 2.5"

I got gold laser corys from MAB a few years ago and I really liked them. Didn't know he still had more. Anyhow, they don't like high temps. Make sure your water in around 82 for those guys.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty