AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Member from California

Registered Member

Default New Member from California

Hello All,

My name is Kris and I live in Tracy, CA. I moved and had to sell my 240 gallon freshwater community tank as I had no room for it at the new house. I do have room for a 150 gallon tank ( in the place that I want it located). So, I found a 150 on Craigslist and am water testing it now. I'm reading everything I can on this site to get myself up to date on current tech etc. I have not kept Discus before but have read quite a bit on it. My previous tank was hooked up to household plumbing to make water changes easier. That is the only reason I don't put this new tank in is because I'm going to have to steal some plumbing from and adjacent bathroom to make water changes easy. I'm going to enjoy taking my time with the project and making it exactly how I want it. My last tank was completely DIY so I am not to worried about building things. I am more worried about thinking everything through so I can try and get it mostly right the first time.

I'm keeping a notebook on all the good ideas to steal or research more on. Eventually, I hope to put out a decent build thread. I'll be quiet for a while, while I am researching and gathering parts and ideas.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: New Member from California

Again, welcome Kris. The best place to do more research is in our stickies section found: Here

Spend a good while reading there and then read some more ;-)

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks. I'm probably now spending too much time reading and my wishlist is getting longer and longer...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by KrisK View Post
    Thanks. I'm probably now spending too much time reading and my wishlist is getting longer and longer...
    We've all been there my friend

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Welcome to SD.

Welcome Kris, and best of luck to you.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

If I was in Tracy I'd be looking up Kenny in the sponsors section and picking his brain a bit. Great place for you to get your stock.

And welcome.
    President - North American Discus Association

Hey Kris, another Bay Area person good to see. Yeah check out Kenny he is in Daly City.
    Chris

Registered Member

Thanks all... I will look that guy up... Tank passed the initial water test with the exception of a pinhole leak from the tank into the overflow. As I will be reinforcing all the seams, it looks like this tank is a keeper...

Real Name
    Tuan

Quote Originally Posted by spiffyfish View Post
    Hey Kris, another Bay Area person good to see. Yeah check out Kenny he is in Daly City.
    +1 Oh yes, definitely Kenny's fish room is the one to check out. I am unsure, though, that living close to Kenny is good for your wallet's health hahaha.....

Registered Member

Welcome to sd