ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juvie running about real fast in circle running into glass?

Registered Member

Default Juvie running about real fast in circle running into glass?

Not sure what is going on. One of my five juvies is darting around in a large circle and running into the glass. The others seem fine almost seems as if he is freaking out on his own reflection im not sure. 55gallon tank just did a 90 percent water change. Nitrite 0.25 ammonia 0.50. I have had to seem to have a problem from day 1 with the water. All the fish swim around and have good color and eat well to. I know the ammonia is high but have been working on it. 2 large sponge filters and 2 aquaclear 50s. Temp 82 water from the tap. There is no background and the bottom is bare no covering on the bottom so they see their reflection. Also is a bb tank. Any help would be great Tom.

Registered Member

Default Re: Juvie running about real fast in circle running into glass?

Add prime or safe to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite but you need to get those levels down. Have you ever tested your tap. It may be something else but it could also be nitrite or ammonia poisoning. Fill out the questionnaire so we can have a better idea what's going on

Registered Member

+1 for ammonia poisoning, I've seen that same behavior when I had ammonia issues. You mentioned you had the problem from Day 1 - for how long did you cycle the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Have you tested your water source to see if it has ammonia and nitrates in it?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

How often and how much are you changing your water

Registered Member

Well down to three now. Slight learning curve here. Three in a 55 is not good im sure. Called Miranda she tried to fill me in. More fish, driftwood, age the water, no bare bottom. Among other things on here. Had one aquaclear that was rancid so guess that was the problem. Yanked it on the spot tho now but perhaps to late for some reason I was trying to follow things said on here but perhaps some advice was not right. Hope I don't kill them all. Might have to start all over. I thought bare bottom was the only way. Stupid discus owner here. She did say don't beat yourself up about it. Will never buy juvies from here on out. Peace Tom

Registered Member

Now one is flashing. Trying to scratch himself. The tank boss wont let the others come near the food. Before you know it the tank boss will have a whole 55 to his self.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-30-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed offensive word

Sounds like you have fish in an uncycled tank and may have toxic tap water. The disease questionnaire will give members a handle on how to help you. You need to get the water right before adding more fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I don't know where your getting your advice but bare bottom is the way to go with juvies. What do you mean by a filter going rancid? Has far as the ammonia and nitrites go are you sure you even have a working filter? If you do I can't understand where those readings are coming from. Many of the most knowledgeable discus raisers on this site keep their juvies in a bare tank and by bare I don't mean only the bottom. Way easier to keep clean while pouring the food to them.

Registered Member

Well the water is spot on now. 0 0 0 Toxins took over. To many filters going I guess. When you have them swimming upside down and sideways. Not a good thing. Cleaned one aqua clear and noticed the other was really dirty so turned it off. Next day pulled the other aqua clear and stunk like nasty from perhaps over feeding. I have put a prefilter on the one remaining aqua clear now the water is spot on. This is my first 55 had a 30 and 40 before but have never had fish running around in circles and running into the glass ever swimming upside down laying on the bottom. That one filter killed them an now I feel like a fool. Didn't mean to let that one filter get like that but it did. Have done water changes perhaps not as much as I should. Don't want to give up just yet but wow. I knew that they were hard to take care of but damn. Just so pissed I don't make a lot of money and I thought this would take my mind off things. Lesson learned don't let filter get to dirty and allways have a prefilter I guess. Your questionare I think I have answered all the questions. Just frustrated they are not cheap fish for this poor soul how many more shall I flush down the toilet.

There are still lots of questions, but that's up to you.

Registered Member

Thanks for the help but I am at my end. Its time for me to learn on my own. That's how we all learn is from our mistakes.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomasasalvatore View Post
    Thanks for the help but I am at my end. Its time for me to learn on my own. That's how we all learn is from our mistakes.
    that is one expensive way to learn, but its your dollars. There is very good advice here you would do well to get your learn on.

remember water changes are the juice of life for Discus IF you do not want to do them daily and do them large then you'd be better off with other fish to keep your stress down from fish loss.

Registered Member

Well did a couple water changes and the 3 left seem to be doing better. The large one is still kinda hiding in the corner a little. 3 in a 55 wonder how that will work.

Registered Member

Out of the tap nitrite 0 ammonia 1.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast