ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I went out and Froze today with the camera

Default So I went out and Froze today with the camera

I've had a busy few months, working several jobs and lots of stuff going on. My New Years resolution is to take more pics... and play around with the camera like I Used to. So I dusted it off, and took advantage of a beautiful clear and sunny Morning in New England today. Cold and Crisp. Threw on the thermals, and loaded the gear up. I decided to pic a lens.. just one to work with and decided this time would be an old school photo trip with a digital flavor to it. I'm a pentax Geek and as such have many old cameras and lenses. I still will pick up old M42 mount lens when I see them at a fair price. The Glass is still great and they feel so solid. Harder to work with, not automatic....forces you to think and experiment.

The Lens I chose is a M42 mount Pentax super takumar SMC 3.5/135 mm. Its your classic portrait lens. Its not a fast lens, but is a really nice one with a strong following of fans in the pentax world. I collect the takumars as part of my hobby, They are generally very reasonably had. I think I paid about $50 on ebay for this one.

you can read some reviews of the lens here.... Please note the Lens was made in 1973...40 plus years old.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...35mm-F3.5.html

To use the lens I make use of PK adapter...it fits in the camera, and allows the lens to be threaded on.

The camera is not my standard camera...I usually use a pentax K20D.. but I have a couple of smaller Km/k2000 digital SLR.. a basic beginner digital that currently sells on ebay for about $140- 200. This DSLR is 10.6 mp , small by today's standards... but still a very useful camera. Review here..http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk2000/

I even went old on the tripod.. I have a pretty sturdy aluminum "Brilliant Professional tripod..doesn't have any bells and whistles, doesn't even have a removable camera mounting plate...I like it because the camera will never fall off, and its incredibly stout for its weight. I have other tripods, but this one seemed to fit the theme,
    The gear...

Some pics...

Did I mention it was cold... leaves in ice:

and one back home of my cat... hand held camera, 1600 IS0...so its very soft..which fits pics of Whiskers nicely.

These are just pics of random objects, but theres something fun and relaxing about taking a day off and just going out with the camera. Its funny I have gear that costs alot more, but this simple combo of old gear and a beginners DSLR made for a really great morning out.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-31-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: So I went out and Froze today with the camera

What beautiful shots Al, my favorites are the leaves in ice. Cold here too, it was 72 just the other day, 20's tonight.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Nice.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Christopher G

Very nice Al. My fave is the picture with branch half way out the water and reflecting of the water surface.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Nice work Al. Oh, and we watched "Christmas in Connecticut" last night :-)

Thanks guys...

This set up isn't what I would want to use for fish tank pics, as its slow.. but its not too bad... no flash, and hand held under dim tank lights.

Lots of tannins in then water.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

"Gimped"... ready for the old black and white print newspaper

and "Gimped" again..ready for psychedelic 60s

Playing around with the editting tools is almost as fun as taking pics...maybe more so.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-31-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al,

My wife and I lived in New England from winter 1989 to spring 1994. The first heavy snow was always amazing as it hung from all the trees. The leaves in October could also make me stop the car and look in amazement. The last winter there, 93-94 was the blizzard. The ice didn't melt on Canobie Lake in Salem, NH until mid to late May.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I can't view the pictures right now Al because I'm stuck at work but I know the takumar lenses well. I have adapted plenty of them on my Sony Nex6 and the do such a great job. In all honesty, I prefer the build of older manual lenses because they are built like tanks.

The one Pentax lens I have had a lot of fun with is the 55 f/1.8. Very nice lens. Of all the manual lenses I own, my favorite is still my converted 58 1.2 Minolta. That thing renders like no tomorrow. I look forward to getting home and viewing your photos.

Happy New year.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I can't view the pictures right now Al because I'm stuck at work but I know the takumar lenses well. I have adapted plenty of them on my Sony Nex6 and the do such a great job. In all honesty, I prefer the build of older manual lenses because they are built like tanks.

The one Pentax lens I have had a lot of fun with is the 55 f/1.8. Very nice lens. Of all the manual lenses I own, my favorite is still my converted 58 1.2 Minolta. That thing renders like no tomorrow. I look forward to getting home and viewing your photos.

Happy New year.
    Hi Ricardo, You mean something like this...

Its great seeing another takumar Fan.

I love my Takumars! all inthe pic above are except for one 70-210 vivitar series one M42(an absolutely awesome lens BTW)

All...My point in this thread was to demonstrate how you don't need the top of the line most current system to have some fun with photography as a hobby and to show that even an inexpensive old lens can make a decent picture. All of these pics are totally unedited, no post processing except for the "Gimped" Ones. Its a great hobby for people to pick up. Its also a great hobby to take up with your kids. My and Son and I are photo partners...More fun taking pics with someone else. Almost all the techniques you need can be easily had at your local library in any old 35 mm SLR book.. The Core techniques on photography have not changed much...just what the picture is recorded on (film vs digital) and how its recorded. We have another thread going on in the forum about The state of the hobby and fishkeeping. I see alot of parallels between Keeping Discus as a Hobby and Photography and both offer an excellent opportunity to bond better with your kids.

I hope to get out in the next day or two with my son for some pics and will probably go with another M42 mount.. maybe this time a 300 mm lens and focus on birds, my favorite subject.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    Al,

My wife and I lived in New England from winter 1989 to spring 1994. The first heavy snow was always amazing as it hung from all the trees. The leaves in October could also make me stop the car and look in amazement. The last winter there, 93-94 was the blizzard. The ice didn't melt on Canobie Lake in Salem, NH until mid to late May.
    New England can be a beautiful place in the fall. I am not fond of it in the winter at all! Snow can be so beautiful, until you have to shovel or plow it! I'd much rather live in a warmer climate and visit New England in the fall/winter..lol But for the time being, this is my home .

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I also should add that most brands of digital SLR's make an adapter like the PK one I used here so these M42 thread mount lens can be used on pretty much all slrs...of course theres no autofocus, its all manual. But thats not really a bad thing...you appreciate something alittle more when you work for it!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, I have an old 35 mm Minolta camera with a couple of lens. Wonder if I can find uses for them on the Nikon. Love your pics. The one of Whiskers is special.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, I have an old 35 mm Minolta camera with a couple of lens. Wonder if I can find uses for them on the Nikon. Love your pics. The one of Whiskers is special.
    Pat I have seen minolta lens with pentax mount...it may take some customizing but its probably doable. What sizes are the lens, I have a few suggestions for their use

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, one of the lens is "cokinlight 67mm U.V. FRANCE" and the other is "USP 4.256.381 USP 4.299.454". Both lens are made in Japan. The camera is a Minolta X-700. Both camera and lens are 80s vintage.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast