AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tortoise Tank Build out..

Default Re: Tortoise Tank Build out..

nothing here local on Craigs list but this stuff is not expensive at all..

http://www.justliners.com/45milrubberroofing.htm 15 feet X 5 Ft for $52... Thats doable...definetly worth thinking about it.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

I could maybe make a fastening system like they use on pick up truck covers.
    That gave me another idea. as long as your not using the product to actually hold water like a plywood tank, but rather just waterproof the bottom, truck bed liner paint should fit the bill.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rl...FWRp7Aod2hoANA

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...ing/98214_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...ing/69491_0_0/
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    That gave me another idea. as long as your not using the product to actually hold water like a plywood tank, but rather just waterproof the bottom, truck bed liner paint should fit the bill.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rl...FWRp7Aod2hoANA

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...ing/98214_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...ing/69491_0_0/
    well it definitely meets the budget amount. doesnt need to hold water... I just want to protect the wood from rotting.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    nothing here local on Craigs list but this stuff is not expensive at all..

http://www.justliners.com/45milrubberroofing.htm 15 feet X 5 Ft for $52... Thats doable...definetly worth thinking about it.

al
    That's the stuff ,Al.My pond was on a budget,so the pond was 60mil,butn the course way was 45mil.Stuff dosent get done during the winter,so if you need it now,not a lot of action,but if you can wait,might happen.Honesntlely.,figure out how much you might need,and if I can cram it into one of those "one -size-fits-all' post office boxes,Ive got some scraps laying around here .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Bill thats really generous thank you!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Maybe what I will do is use the epdm to make the soaking area, and then use the truck liner paint to water proof the hole bottom.

I will need to be able to easily clean the soaking are,but was thinking of just having s dedicated shop vac.
    Hmmm...looking like a plan more and more.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Hi Al
    I built a fish tank 50 years ago with marine plywood and coated 2x with marine epoxy paint. Over the years it has served as a fish tank, a toy chest, a rabbit cage and even a Christmas stand[ I kid you not]. It is now back to being a fish tank. I should add that I also used silicone to seal the seams, just in case. Also let it cure for a good week or so.
    So inclosing marine epoxy is the way to go.
    PS I will second "Second Hand Pats" observation on how big your children have gotten from the first time I met you. How come they are getting older and were not. LOL
    Jay

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I don't have any construction advice, but just wanted to say I think it's cool you guys can do that as a family project. Looks fun, and the torts are cool.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

with mine I just use a big dish about 1/2" deep on with some bluestone under it bigger than the dish. very rarely gets the rest of the plywood floor wet, when it does I just move it to another area and the uv light dries that area quickly. I use the dish over a big soaking are due to it has to be cleaned and water changed every morning. feces in the water and the moss they drag into it too becomes fouled too much not to be able to remove and clean it in the sink easily. I would worry about air circulation with something sealed too much
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    with mine I just use a big dish about 1/2" deep on with some bluestone under it bigger than the dish. very rarely gets the rest of the plywood floor wet, when it does I just move it to another area and the uv light dries that area quickly. I use the dish over a big soaking are due to it has to be cleaned and water changed every morning. feces in the water and the moss they drag into it too becomes fouled too much not to be able to remove and clean it in the sink easily. I would worry about air circulation with something sealed too much
    Good to hear from you Jim...Glad you still have your tort...it must be getting big.. 2 years now?
    If you have a chance post a pic of your setup and tort.
    would love seeing them.
    Best wishes..Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Dan

I've only had my redfoots for a few months but I just find it easiest to fill a plastic container with an inch or so of water and plop them in for 20-30 minutes a day. I tried the big dish that jimg suggested but I seemed to always spill a little filthy water every so often.

If they have defecated in the water I give them a quick rinse before they go back to their home.

Albeit mine look tiny compared to yours but they never seem dehydrated by the next morning or even close to it. Maybe a bathtub or utility sink soak?

Quote Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
    I've only had my redfoots for a few months but I just find it easiest to fill a plastic container with an inch or so of water and plop them in for 20-30 minutes a day. I tried the big dish that jimg suggested but I seemed to always spill a little filthy water every so often.

If they have defecated in the water I give them a quick rinse before they go back to their home.

Albeit mine look tiny compared to yours but they never seem dehydrated by the next morning or even close to it. Maybe a bathtub or utility sink soak?
    I've got to take a picture of the biggest in the group. Unfortunately they need a pretty big soaking area to accomodate the 5 of them...eventually they will be getting part of their own room to share with my snakes....this will get them by until then.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Hi Al
    I built a fish tank 50 years ago with marine plywood and coated 2x with marine epoxy paint. Over the years it has served as a fish tank, a toy chest, a rabbit cage and even a Christmas stand[ I kid you not]. It is now back to being a fish tank. I should add that I also used silicone to seal the seams, just in case. Also let it cure for a good week or so.
    So inclosing marine epoxy is the way to go.
    PS I will second "Second Hand Pats" observation on how big your children have gotten from the first time I met you. How come they are getting older and were not. LOL
    Jay
    lol... yep getting bigger Jay! thanks for the tip on the marine epoxy paint.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

So I just snapped a pics.. I think it will help to visualize just how big these tortoises are They run about 8-9 inches average for the the 5 of them and the biggest is currently 10 inches...

and they are pretty heavy critters...

So you see they are at the point where they needs a tad bit bigger soaking area...

I'm hoping that this new cage and soaking area will last them a bit, but I expect more growth still to come.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jim, your link is private.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast