AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with eye injury

Default Help with eye injury

My 5" blue turq has had, what I thought to be cloud eye. I removed him to hospital tank and treated with Maracyn2. It didn't react at all. Its been quite a few weeks now back in the DT and he has gotten worse. He eats and competes for food very well. He seems very healthy. His eye is protruding much more, though still eating. I do twice weekly water changes. I believe it to be an injury now. I would like to treat him again in a hospital tank, but would really like suggestions as to the proper medication. He's in a 125 with several other discus and juruparis. Is filtered by an FX5, rena xp4, and an AC110. Yep is at 85'. WC's every 3 days. Tank has been established with current livestock for several years. No other fish are showing any signs of illness. What do you suggest as treatment. He seems unaffected.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Help with eye injury

Quote Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
    My 5" blue turq has had, what I thought to be cloud eye. I removed him to hospital tank and treated with Maracyn2. It didn't react at all. Its been quite a few weeks now back in the DT and he has gotten worse. He eats and competes for food very well. He seems very healthy. His eye is protruding much more, though still eating. I do twice weekly water changes. I believe it to be an injury now. I would like to treat him again in a hospital tank, but would really like suggestions as to the proper medication. He's in a 125 with several other discus and juruparis. Is filtered by an FX5, rena xp4, and an AC110. Yep is at 85'. WC's every 3 days. Tank has been established with current livestock for several years. No other fish are showing any signs of illness. What do you suggest as treatment. He seems unaffected.
    pics might help, how much is the eye actually protruding?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfortunately, I'm at work. I will post pics tomorrow. Its protruding quite significantly.

Real Name
    Rick

I might opt for a combination of kanamycin and furan 2 in a sterile QT tank. Keep the water pristine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really need a picture..so please post one asap. Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thank you all for your quick replies. I'm in firehouse til 8am. I'll post pics when I get home in morning.

Any help would be appreciated. I will set up the HT tomorrow. Where do I get the suggested meds? Any more specifics would be greatly appreciated. temp, wc schedule, etc.

Any ideas?

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
    Any ideas?

I might opt for a combination of kanamycin and furan 2 in a sterile QT tank. Keep the water pristine.

Good chance the fish might lose the eye. 80% WC per day in QT tank. Eyes can take quite some time to mend, and it appears you put the fish back into the DT to soon. Healthy adults might squeak by with your WC schedule on your display tank, but not a sick or injured fish. What percent of water are you changing when you do WC's?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post

Good chance the fish might lose the eye. 80% WC per day in QT tank. Eyes can take quite some time to mend, and it appears you put the fish back into the DT to soon. Healthy adults might squeak by with your WC schedule on your display tank, but not a sick or injured fish. What percent of water are you changing when you do WC's?
    Approximately 50-60% WC. I believe I may have stopped treatment and placed back in DT too soon as well. I was afraid to continue with more than one treatment.

I am really sorry here, but that fishes eye is not going to be salvaged. Its too far gone. Theres too much fluid build up there. Ricks suggestion of kanamycin may help save fish from what looks like a bacterial infection, but I have to be honest with you, the long term prognosis for that fish is not very good. I'm sorry.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

How is the fish doing? Check your pm please.

So sorry for the fish. Being there and ended loosing the fish. Treated with cipro first for ten days, didn't get better. Later as Rick suggested with kana + furan2 and 90% WC every day, no filtration just an air stone, my fish didn't eat at all. Eye continued to get bigger and bigger and eventually exploded, yes it did. Oddly enough the fish looked almost relieved like if it released some pressure. Anyway at one point t it was so big that it popped out and it was dead in minutes.

See the tread here
    Last edited by 100fuegos; 01-10-2015 at 08:33 PM.

If it is as it seems, too far gone, what option do I have now? He eats, swims as if nothings wrong. It is progressively getting worse. Its not responding to anything I do. OK, this is getting a bit upsetting. I took out the driftwood with the many branches. ( believed to have caused the injury ) Ive had him for some time and really hate to have to think of this.

Real Name
    Rick

What have you tried so far?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast