ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diana and Jake

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Diana and Jake

Thanks Julia, my daughter's first horse was a saddlebred. They are totally beautiful horses. You must miss having horses in your life?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    f/4 would have gotten you faster shutter speeds. Check your EXIF and I bet that is right
    Yup, you were correct. If I get another chance to with Diana and Jake I will stay with f4. Need the faster shutter speed for objects in motion.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Yup, you were correct. If I get another chance to with Diana and Jake I will stay with f4. Need the faster shutter speed for objects in motion.
    Yes, in most situations. f/4 is great to get faster shutter speeds, but being on a moving object makes it more difficult to nail focus. This is why, if I had been shooting it, I would have gone to f/8 and hoping that my shutter speed would be close to at least 1/200 of a second. If I can not get there on its own, I'd have to bump up the ISO to get to those settings.

Lastly, You don't always want faster shutter speed. In this particular instance, you have a technique called "panning" available to you. It means to track your subject while they are in motion.

For those settings, I would have gone to a shutter speed in the 1/40-1/60 area, and shot wherever the f/stop may have taken me. In this instance, it is typically better to switch to "Shutter priority" and have the settings land where they may.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Pat,
    Jake looks great for his age!

On the tech side of the pic... are you shooting manual or auto focus? Tripod or handheld?
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Al, handhold and manual focus. Aperture Priority and ISO 400.

Ricardo, I should mention I do the panning technique. Sort of have to do that with a moving horse to try and get the shot you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Al, handhold and manual focus. Aperture Priority and ISO 400.

Ricardo, I should mention I do the panning technique. Sort of have to do that with a moving horse to try and get the shot you want.
    Hand held, moving objects and relatively low light..Thats makes for a harder shot... only tip I can give you is can always bump up your iso a notch and drop down the lens like Ricardo suggested. It also helps to pick the point you are focusing on. Trying to track a moving target and focus is tricky as your eyes see the whole thing moving. Pick something like the horses face, or your daughters. depending on the goal of the pic. You can also sometimes cheat. Not sure how many frames per second your camera gets off but that may be useful on moving objects.

Either way...nice memories you captured there with both your daughter and Jake.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Al, I will play with your and Ricardo suggestions if I get another chance.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julia

Yes, I miss them VERY much.. I think if you are a horse person, you never stop loving them....We have a private stable close to here that I pass daily, I have been watching a young dun colored stud since the day he hit the ground. Even though I can only watch him, it helps a little. As I am older now, I would liketo look into boarding and acquiring one that needs a home. We had a horrible situation here in MS where approx. 100 horses were left to fend forthemselves...when found only 73 had survived....just barely. Eventually some of these will need homes...Arab rescue group is taking some. Don't think I can do without. Right now the best I can do is keep my great danes....closest I can get where I live now!

Real Name
    Pat

Julia, if you have some spare time you can volunteer at a horse rescue to get a horse fix and you are right, once a horse person always a horse person...kind of the same with fish.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julia

You are so right....Love these round babies. Interval of 30 plus years between our wild discus and these from Hans. You may have to give them up but you will always come back to them...horses and fish both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12