AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geophagus hybrids... Oops!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Geophagus hybrids... Oops!

I missed this post Ryan. What beautiful fish! I tend to never venture away from the fish I "know" and this is one of them. They do look great though. I'll sub and follow. Very interesting.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Enjoying your account of this, Ryan. Geos with Erik Satie, hey, can't lose.

It's been exactly six weeks since the pair spawned and I now have little miniature Geophagus juvies, complete with midlateral spots. There's not much color to speak of yet but they do have that shiny blue-purple iridescence that's common to little geos. Everyone is eating micropellets and freeze-dried blackworms exclusively. I'll try to make video later but here are some pictures:

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They have grown a lot Ryan and each seems perfectly formed. Love the fry of wild fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Seriously, that's how you document something!!! Well written and easy to read, detailed descriptions, videos, and follow ups!!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Ryan, fascinating project and well documented. Thanks for sharing and hope that you will continue to let us follow their development. Rufus

The Geo hybrids are now about five months old. They've only made it to 2" so far, but this is fairly typical I think. Orange heads are documented as being slow growers, and my original G. parnaibae were the same. We're dealing with fish that top out at 4 - 6" so I guess 2" is about right.

I still have all 13. One is being used as a guinea pig in my Heterochromis tank (he's been there for a few weeks and is gladly pushing them around, so I'll have to move him soon) but the other 12 are in a 55 with a couple angels and a pair of dwarf pike cichlids (Crenicichla notophthalmus).

In terms of color it's really hard to say which direction it's going. They definitely have orange/red dorsals which would come from the orange head parent because G. parnaibae are mostly steel grey/blue with some maroon in the caudal fin. Unfortunately most geos look the same until they hit sexual maturity and start to color up, so I'd say we're a few months away from seeing their mature coloration.

Apologies for the crappy quality. I'm just using an iPhone for video and a single fluorescent strip light over the tank. No fancy LED on grow-out tanks here.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-27-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

wow, those guys move super quick!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Geos are definitely pretty zippy. They tend to calm down a bit when they get older but they're still very fast, agile swimmers. You see this a lot during spawning.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

why is it that bloodworms are such a hit and aren't as great of a protein source as other foods? Its just not fair, like how I love snickers but they aren't good for me... good job Ryan these are coming along really well. Got any Laetacara left? I still have 4 and they are huge now.
    ~JACKLYN~

Bloodworms aren't a bad food. People look at things like protein content but they don't take into consideration how much water is in bloodworms. That brings the percentage of protein down. If you dried them like blackworms it would be higher. It's all in how you look at the numbers. I've raised some thick, large discus on bloodworms and beefheart alone.

I rarely give any of my cichlids bloodworms unless I'm conditioning them for spawning or trying to get new imports to eat. In this case I used them to get the geos to come out for a video. They make a mess of pellets so I didn't want to film them eating those.

I don't have Laetacara anymore. I'm trying to work with Ivanacara instead. I'm sure I'll have them again someday but I haven't seen good wild dorsigera in a few years now.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't have Laetacara anymore. I'm trying to work with Ivanacara instead. I'm sure I'll have them again someday but I haven't seen good wild dorsigera in a few years now.
    Ryan, I read that the ivanacara were really aggressive with eachother and require large footprint tanks or tons of physical divisions. I have 4 wild laetacara dorsigera from wetspottropical. I am trying to get 2 to breed, they've done it twice in the main tank but I haven't separated them as its been a while since they've spawned. I honestly think the temp is too high for their spawning needs. They spawned while in the tank with festivum cichlids which I kept the water under 80, now I keep it in the 82 range and they no longer spawn. here is my big male
    l. dorsigera big male 4-24-15.jpg
    ~JACKLYN~

I think these guys are going to favor the orangehead female. I am starting to see the neon orange sheen on their dorsals when sunlight hits them, and the pelvic fins are a dark yellow/orange. I'm also seeing the blue striping in the tail like orangeheads.

I used one of the 13 as a crash test dummy with some new arrivals that are coming out of quarantine, and I've learned that as solo fish, these are mean little brats. First the single geo was harassing similarly sized Heterochromis multidens, then I moved him into a QT tank with 12 Bujurquina that are 2 - 3" and he's chasing them all over the place. I'll be glad to return him to the group where he can settle back into the pecking order.

Last edited by Ryan; 06-24-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

These guys are growing nicely and they do look like little orange heads.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

Thumbs up Re: Geophagus hybrids... Oops!

Great Update !
    I am new to this forum and happened to visit you thread and found a greatdetail of documentation. Great to see that you are posting graphical contents on regular basis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast