AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trying a different type of Regenerable Nitrate-adsorption

Registered Member

Default Trying a different type of Regenerable Nitrate-adsorption

It appears that most of the post on Simply refer to using Purigen as a resin based filtration method, and many appear to be having good results using it. But, because I am a little paranoid to use it because you regenerate it using bleach. I saw a video on youtube from someone who had an awful experience regenerating using bleach. I found a product that uses salt, "Brightwell NitratR - Regenerable Nitrate-adsorption Resin." And I couldn't find any post about it on Simply. Just curious if anyone has ever tried this product?

Real Name
    Christopher G

Default Re: Trying a different type of Regenerable Nitrate-adsorption

Following. Can you post a link of where you saw this ?

Registered Member

Sorry blueluv I couldn't find that video on Youtube, it has been quite some time since I saw it. It appears that the few people that have trouble with the product used a dechlorinator that didn't do the job. Most people recommend using Prime, and that seems to work. I hate I saw that video, the guy had some mollies and sword tails and guppies all died. Of course Seachem also recommends using their product Prime. Seachem on their own web site cautions against using a dechlorinator that aids in putting a slime coat on your fish, that might have been the problem with they guy that posted the video. Seachem has this warning on their web site, "Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul PurigenŽ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit". Here is another post on the Seachem web-site:
    " Q: On some of the PurigenŽ documentation I have read it says that some slime coat products can contaminate PurigenŽ and render it toxic. Can you identify these products ?

A: Only certain slime coat products will cause PurigenŽ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. PrimeŽ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™Sorry if this is a long post, Of course, knowing this nformation gives me a little more courage. I am going to give this product a try, "Brightwell NitratR" I'll see if it helps with reducing my nitrates, I'll post the results, I will wait a while before posting. I may get the nerves to try Purigen, I also have a couple of bottles of Chemi-pure that I will use first before using Purigen.
    Last edited by RodneyL001; 01-15-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Registered Member

I would think the one you are using is similar to nitra-zorb by API, its recgarged with salt also if I remember correctly.