ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Photo editting software

Default Photo editting software

Many photographers use photoshop for their work. Theres nothing inherently wrong with that except that cost can be a big deterent. Many cameras come with various versions as well, which is good, but they often are not full feature. The problem arises though when you try and walk someone thru an edit and you all have different software!

I've use photoshop years ago before the CS series, I used it in the lab and in my hobby. I loved it. Since then I have switched my computers to non-windows/ non macs.. I use Linux as an operating system so photoshop was not an option. I'm a Gimp user now... Its availible as free open source download for windows and is standard in linux. Its not as flashy as photoshop, lacks some of the features, but I have always found it had enough bells and whistles to get the job done with room to spare. You can even do animation in it, and the filters are similar to windows. Raw is no problem either and it has a wide range of file format support. Once you start playing with it and get the additional user generated (open source) add ons, its a really strong software package

I've nothing against photoshop, if someone gave me a copy I'd put it on my computer if I could, but there are alternatives that would probably meet most needs. Every photo I have posted here last few years has been GIMPed.

If you get a chance, play around with it... download here..

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    (might have to click " show other downloads")

There are help guides as well.

The nice thing about GIMP is its free and very functional.. When I made the jump to it from photoshop it was not too difficult an adjustment. It may be something we can use here as a recommended stock download for members. Something we can walk members thru in a consistent fashion.

If you do a search on the net of GIMP vs photoshop cs you'll find some good info...
    http://dl.meetthegimp.org/GIMP_vs_PS_r2.pdf very good comparison PDF

Theres always your stalwart supporters in each group. I'm not anti-photoshop, but I am pro-gimp from a functional and practicality point of view its a no brainer for me.

I think a discussion of the various editting softwares , their pros and cons will be useful.

al
    Last edited by rickztahone; 01-18-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Photo editting software

Great post Al. Why did you switch to Linux if I may ask? Do you find there is a lot of compatible software out there to support it?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Great post Al. Why did you switch to Linux if I may ask? Do you find there is a lot of compatible software out there to support it?
    Honestly Jeff its because I find it more reliable, safer to use( very very few viruses, malware, spyware target linux unlike microsoft), its not bloated with junk you didn't want, and it is open source supported which is where innovation starts. Its free to download, can be easily installed along side windows, so you can use either, or install stand alone as I do on most boxes.

Linux is time tested and used in all sorts of areas, including servers.. we run on a linux os here.

The other thing about Linux is there are so many os branches being developed that its easy to find one perfect for your need.. Some Linux Os are designed to work well on older systems, others easily handle the newest computers..

If I want a particular software, I just go into my software manager and download....easy peasy.

I've used it on many pcs and laptops and converted alot of friends and family to it. Its come a long way the last decade as far as user friendliness.Its no where near as popular as windows but growing.

The Android Operating system is based on linux and is open source which is why there are so many apps for it and it works so well on smart phones.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Thank you Al. I am going to look into it. Maybe I will start slow on a laptop before adding it to my main computer. Time to do some research.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Thank you Al. I am going to look into it. Maybe I will start slow on a laptop before adding it to my main computer. Time to do some research.
    Hi Jeff,
    If you give me the specs of the laptop I can recommend the software.. also do you you know how to download software and burn it as an ISO disc? many linux os systems make "live" versions that run off the disk and and the pc's Ram memory..so you can try it without installing .

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    If you give me the specs of the laptop I can recommend the software.. also do you you know how to download software and burn it as an ISO disc? many linux os systems make "live" versions that run off the disk and and the pc's Ram memory..so you can try it without installing .

-al
    Some also do versions you can run off a usb stick too - useful for recovery and such, or if you just want to take a looksee.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

As for photo editing software I think the intended use is important before choosing which to get.

Some folk just want to resize and/or crop, in fact I'd argue many if not most do. For that even gimp is too much, they would be better off with any of the free utilities or things like Picassa. Some want to do very fine retouching, for those nothing else but photoshop or gimp is the tool, but I'd argue that for the majority both have way more functionality than they actually need.

If they photograph in raw then they need a good raw converter, this is where sometimes the product that comes with the camera can win, but not always. Of the free converters Raw Therapee is probably the best http://www.rawtherapee.com/ and is cross platform, even Linux so Al will be happy Of the paid for ones then there is more choice such as Adobe ACR (in lightroom, bridge and ps), Aperture (mac only and soon to be replaced with iPhoto), Capture One by PhaseOne and DxO Optics are all good. If they are Canon shooters then ACR is as good a choice as any, in fact probably better than most - but I've not tried Canon's own s/w. With Nikon things are a bit different, ACR is good, but usually needs a bit extra work, I just think the ACR developers all shoot Canon . DxO is magnificent, it also has the very bets noise reduction tech I've used, and I've used many of them.

If they mainly shoot in JPEG then DxO Optics is the best enhancer out there, by a mile too, it just seems to have a touch of magic - and boy was that hard to say as they are a French company

But having said all of that, editing photos is all well and good, but if you can't find them again later, what use is it? That is why products such as Lightroom or Aperture should be on every ones PC, these products catalogue your photos as well as providing editing and conversion features that are, for the main, all one needs. Needless to say I do 90+% of my editing in Lightroom, including raw conversion, yes I can squeeze a tad more IQ from other converters but the difference is minimal. I use PS for the remainder, but do own DxO Optics Pro. For Linux you are quite spoiled in many ways as there are many decent managers from Shotwell, F-Spot to digiKam with the latter probably being the best, even Picassa has a Linux version now.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

For Linux you are quite spoiled in many ways as there are many decent managers from Shotwell, F-Spot to digiKam with the latter probably being the best, even Picassa has a Linux version now.
    yep.. and all easily availble at the touch of a down load button.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com