ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aperture Testing

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Aperture Testing

Guys, to help illustrate Paul's point on "Photography for Dummies"...me being the dummy. I decided to step out of auto mode into aperture mode and found a video on youtube to assist me in understanding the basics. Here are the notes I took while watching the video.

Aperture
    Aperture is the opening and closing of the lens for the purpose of increasing or decreasing the amount of light entering the lens. The aperture is measured in the f-stop which is represented as a f/numeric where the smaller the numeric the larger the opening of the lens (lets in more light). So the larger the numeric the smaller the opening will be (lets in less light).

Suggest watching videos on shutter speed and ISO.

On a Nikon when placing the camera in Aperture mode, the camera will control shutter speed and ISO. Also in the window next to the on/off switch ensure the setting is AF-S which is AutoFocus – Single. F-stop is controlled by the red wheel on the front right side of the camera.
    I learned quite a bit tonight starting with learning my way around the camera a little. I also learned that f-stop above f1.8 does no good in a low lite aquarium.

This is the video I watched and I will post some of my example photo shortly.

Last edited by rickztahone; 01-16-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Aperture Testing

Lets just say the photos are no great. The first several I didn't even have the flash on. This is the best of the lot IMO. The angel on the left should be cropped as the flash washed the fish out.

DSC_6069 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

That is not a bad shot Pat, and looks to be very sharp. Flash allows you to stop down and in turn allows you to get sharper shots.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Flash complicates things as far as explaining the basics. For now, imo, it is better not to mention flash other than to say it is one way of adding extra light.

Also the aperture has no effect on the amount of light entering the lens, only on the amount of light that hits the sensor - I'm not being pedantic as there is an important point here and that is for any given lighting scenario, the amount of light entering the lens remains constant and the only way to reduce the amount of light entering the lens is to use filters of some sort. Filters are yet another topic btw.

If I get time I'll setup a simple demo to show the effects of aperture.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Pat

Well, I am not trying to jump start this but to show how introducing one subject at a time is a way to keep your audience engaged, get them thinking, motivated and curious about their camera. I also think using some of the videos on YouTube might be useful learning tool as you can stop the video to take notes, replay the video to enforce concepts and learn at your own pace.

While my little training exercise was not conducted under the best conditions I still got quite a bit out of it so was definitely not a waste of time.

Pat, I wasn't suggesting it was a waste of time so not sure why you mention that. What I was trying to point out was that getting the basics down gets complicated when bringing in other factors that affect it and that the aperture controls the light hitting the sensor and not entering the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    ... but to show how introducing one subject at a time is a way to keep your audience engaged, get them thinking, motivated and curious about their camera. ...
    I agree.

I also think using some of the videos on YouTube might be useful learning tool as you can stop the video to take notes, replay the video to enforce concepts and learn at your own pace.
    Again I agree - provided they look at the right youtube vids, there is some utter tosh on there!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Pat

Paul, I did not intent to suggest that you hinted it as a waste of time only the conditions under which I was playing do not allow to use the full range of f-stop.

Real Name
    Pat

OK, I need a EXIF viewer Recommendations?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    OK, I need a EXIF viewer Recommendations?
    It is difficult for me to tell you which I have from work because I have a bad memory. I googled it though and found This one which is fairly straight forward. This one of course you'd have to supply the code and then it will give you the exif data. The one I have at home allows you to right click and view the exif data of any photos that haven't had their exif stripped.

Are you trying to view exif data of your flickr photos by any chance?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Rick, I want to see the EXIF data of my pics on my laptop.

you should be able to right click the file and select properties. If you use chrome there is a plugin that will show the data if you hover your mouse over the photo as well if the exif is present.

Len

Real Name
    Pat

Firefox has a plugin also. Just not sure how to use it.

Real Name
    Pat

Got it. Just right click on the file and go to properties

Real Name
    Ricardo

What type of program did your camera come with? Typically, they have a sorting mechanism that helps assist keep files organized. This same system supports exif viewer one way or the other.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Think it's called Ex View.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast