ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aperture Testing

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Aperture Testing

something like this?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That's it but never used it. Guess it is time to shake that hand.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Well, yes and no.

Yes, this program might be a great way to start, but no because it is a bit limiting, at least from what I just read from it, and the reviews at the bottom.

It offers a converter which is a big plus. You can shoot in RAW mode and then it will convert it to another file format if you wish, jpeg being the most common.

Going solely off the pic I linked, I see it says filter on the top right. This may be a feature to filter by what lens you shot specific shots, or aperture/shutter speed/iso, but I really can't tell from just the pic.
    Typically, you can right click on these programs, or you can hover, or single click on them and they will give you the exif data somewhere in the interactive screen.

Give it a shot, it is free after all

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Ricardo, I already uploaded the pictures from today. Took a bunch of pics but all jpeg. Many of the shots seem a bit out of focus but in some shots I am sure I was asking the lens to do things it was not meant to do (like macro).

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, I already uploaded the pictures from today. Took a bunch of pics but all jpeg. Many of the shots seem a bit out of focus but in some shots I am sure I was asking the lens to do things it was not meant to do (like macro).
    Understandable. There is nothing wrong with shooting jpeg's, especially when you are delving in to the actual basics of photography. Later, it will be useful to have a RAW converter and work on the file on your own. Remember, shooting jpeg, you are allowing the camera to add certain things to the shot, like clarity, sharpness, noise reduction and things of that nature. Almost analagous to photobucket adding things to the uploaded pics we worked on last week?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Maybe that is why the photos are not sharp? or the lighting are a bit muted.

Real Name
    Matt

I've actually put my copyright into my EXIF data now, where ever the picture goes you should be able to see EXIF data and my name. Its an option through my camera and its settings. Something to keep in mind that others may want to do regarding EXIF data.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I've actually put my copyright into my EXIF data now, where ever the picture goes you should be able to see EXIF data and my name. Its an option through my camera and its settings. Something to keep in mind that others may want to do regarding EXIF data.
    That is a great idea Matt. I wonder if the Nikon has that feature. I will be developing my own little watermark also once I start taking some noteworthy pictures.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Great point. I add my copyright from upload through CS6 and it gets embedded in my EXIF data.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Here's a few of the fun pictures from today. This is Gypsy who is a little border terrier and is hunting in the oak branch.

DSC_6102 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6118 by plh, on Flickr

DSC_6106 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

DSC_6106 is the keeper here Pat . The others suffer from lack of sharpness because the focus is not actually on your pooch. There is something called spot center that will focus to that one point where you point it to. This allows you to tell the camera, "hey, it is THIS in particular I want in focus".

Additionally, I see other shots in your Flickr, 6053 is a rather nice one as well

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Ricardo, It seemed when there was something, like the branch in the foreground the camera would focus on that vs the pooch. So I wonder if AF-S should have been something else.

On 6053 the fstop was f4 so it seems like everything is in focus.

DSC_6053 by plh, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ricardo

AF-S (Auto focus single) means that the camera will make a beep sound when it finds its focus and will not budge again, unless you remove your finger from half press.

AF-C (Auto focus continuous) will allow the camera to keep looking for a subject no matter what. Typically, you use this setting when dealing with a moving subject, such as sports, or a small little pooch

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12