AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g Acrylic tank w/ 40g sump (Journal build thread)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default 75g Acrylic tank w/ 40g sump (Journal build thread)

I've had my 56g white bowfront for sale locally, and before I even sold that one, I already bought another one, lol. The 56 just wasn't big enough for discus. So, I ended up going with a 75g 4ft. It is as big as I can go in that space (my only space according to my wife). I got it from a member on Scape and it is in great condition. Came with a stand. I may reinforce the stand as I am not that sure how good I feel about how it currently stands.

So, my goal is to do my first sumped tank. I have a 40g breeder lying around that will become my sump. I plan on going coast to coast with an overflow and doing a Bean animal setup. I bought some wood from the member as well and it looks pretty good in there. Tank isn't necessarily slated for a discus tank, but it is always difficult for me to venture away from discus. I give myself a time line of about 3-6 months to have this up and running. I am taking my time with this one. I may just make another DIY stand for this one as well.

So, if you liked my last journal, stick around for this one

Last edited by rickztahone; 05-06-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Yet another Journal? :)

You have a nice start to this Ricardo. How did you get the sump in the stand? Thru the top?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

No, through the back. I had to remove a reinforcement plank. I'm not sure how this stand was holding up this 75, there are no 2x4's anywhere on it! lol. My stand on the 56g is WAY, WAY over built compared to this. My stand weighs about 6 times more, seriously.

So, I will eventually stick a reinforcement frame in there for peace of mind.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Finally, is always great to start a new project, may i sugest small fish and grow them out. good luck bud, i am tired of cleaning my garage for my project hope to be done cleaning tomorrow.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Finally, is always great to start a new project, may i sugest small fish and grow them out. good luck bud, i am tired of cleaning my garage for my project hope to be done cleaning tomorrow.
    lol, just barely? Are you suggesting small fish period, or small discus fish? I am thinking of some kind of schooling fish, but man I love growing out discus. May try angels? Hard to not like them after seeing Pat's gorgeous angles.

Cafepress.com

Personaly i like how discus change as they grow, when you get tired of them start over, although all types of rams would be nice plus cheaper lol,

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Personaly i like how discus change as they grow, when you get tired of them start over, although all types of rams would be nice plus cheaper lol,
    I've been tainted with the Ram purchasing at the moment, and would like to avoid rams, lol.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Love acrylic tanks! Nice driftwood. What light is that?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
    Love acrylic tanks! Nice driftwood. What light is that?
    it is an Aquatic life edge 24". I actually did an informal review on it Here if you'd like to check it out.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Christopher G

Definitely like your acrylic aquarium. If you go with angelfish, what strain do you like ? I like blues, koi and pinoy leopards.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post
    Definitely like your acrylic aquarium. If you go with angelfish, what strain do you like ? I like blues, koi and pinoy leopards.
    I really like the pinoy smokey pearlscale sold by Carol

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Wow! That is a gorgeous angelfish. If I had room for both a discus and angelfish tank. I would do an angelfish tank with a mix of pinoy smokey and platinum snakeskin.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Wow! That is a gorgeous angelfish. If I had room for both a discus and angelfish tank. I would do an angelfish tank with a mix of pinoy smokey and platinum snakeskin.
    Yeah, with the last tank, I almost pulled the trigger on those, but Carol advised me against it. That is how I knew she was a great breeder. A breeder who doesn't care what people do with their stock would have sold them to me.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Yeah, with the last tank, I almost pulled the trigger on those, but Carol advised me against it. That is how I knew she was a great breeder. A breeder who doesn't care what people do with their stock would have sold them to me.
    Why did she advise you against it ?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Why did she advise you against it ?
    My tank was too small. The tank I have currently is only 36" wide. She informed me that as angels grow they need their own space and they wouldn't do well in the long run. I hadn't told her I grow out discus, but what she said makes sound advice. It is the reason I have to currently sell that tank, because the discus could not thrive in such a small footprint.

Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast