AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Astrophotography

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: More Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Yeah 24 1.4 is the top on my wish list right now, has been since I started Astrophotography haha. Funny thing, what got me into this corner of the hobby was pictures of the milky way shot with the 24 1.4, insane detail. Been waiting to grab one off of Canon's refurb site for cheap. Might rent it from Borrowlenses first just to make sure as I do want a 200 or 300mm and a nice landscape lens like the 17-40 or 16-35, but atm the 24 1.4 will most likely be my next big lens purchase.
    Seems like a great lens. Do you know if Sigma made any in their new "ART" lineup? or, am I being a total noob, and that 24 1.4 IS from Sigma? I havn't looked for it because it isn't a lens that I would need in my shooting style.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

The 24 1.4 (The one mainly talked about at least) is from Canon, its actually II now as its the second generation. Its one of those fancy red ring primes. Sigma makes a 30, 25, 50 1.4 ART. They also make a few non ART lenses close. 24 1.8 (and a few 30 or 35mm 1.4), as well as a 20mm 1.8. I might do some reading up on it. Usually Sigma is fairly close to the others quality wise just cheaper. The Sigma 1.8 is actually about $1000 cheaper MSRP. I'm not very close to buying right now so I have some time to shop around and compare.

The "offbrand" Samyang 24mm 1.4 is supposedly VERY impressive and very close to the Canon. Like the Sigma, about $1000 cheaper too. Samyang, Rokinon, and Pro-Optic are all basically the same brand, I own their 14mm 2.8 and really like it.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

The 24 1.4 (The one mainly talked about at least) is from Canon, its actually II now as its the second generation. Its one of those fancy red ring primes. Sigma makes a 30, 25, 50 1.4 ART. They also make a few non ART lenses close. 24 1.8 (and a few 30 or 35mm 1.4), as well as a 20mm 1.8. I might do some reading up on it. Usually Sigma is fairly close to the others quality wise just cheaper. The Sigma 1.8 is actually about $1000 cheaper MSRP. I'm not very close to buying right now so I have some time to shop around and compare.

The "offbrand" Samyang 24mm 1.4 is supposedly VERY impressive and very close to the Canon. Like the Sigma, about $1000 cheaper too. Samyang, Rokinon, and Pro-Optic are all basically the same brand, I own their 14mm 2.8 and really like it.
    yeah, I've shot with a few Samyang (Rokinon) lenses and have been very impressed. The lens that surprized me the most was a 14 2.8 Tokina lens. That thing was a tank of a lens, but was so nice, and rendered great.

I have the Sigma 50 1.4 and in all honesty is one of the best lenses I've shot with to date. It was my go to lens always before the 24-70 2.8. That lens is also a Sig, and I'm very impressed by them. I have compared both to their native brand brethren, and the 50 beats out every single one. I have compared it to my friends red ring prime and if it didn't beat it, it was at the same level. Haven't tried the Nikon varient though. I'd put my faith in that Sigma lens, but I can not speak for the new Art lineup. I know they had a 1.8 zoom but I believe it was for cropped sensor so I wasn't interested.

Anyhoo, I hope you do get one of those badboys and share your shots with us

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Matt,

I want to add a lens to your wish list, The Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8. Obviously not as fast as the 24mm 1.4 but way wider and phenomenal optics. Plus, it attaches to the best astro photography body out there, the D800/810. If Astro photography is your thing, the ultra low noise, high ISO performance is untouchable by anything canon makes. Of course, the 14-24mm 2.8 is the ultimate landscape lens. I have one (still) stuborn Canon shooter buddy that uses that lens on his Canons with a adapter. He constantly complains about noise and cannot use anything higher than 3200....

Real Name
    Matt

I actually have a 14mm 2.8 lens in my collection, Canon of course. Its the Rokinon/Samyang/ProOptic (basically all the same 3rd party and make decent lenses for the price). I don't find myself using it unless I really have an open area to work with. In the front yard or backyard it would just capture to many trees and to much of the house/yard. If I went west it would 100% be in my bag though for this. I definitely want to advance and try some new gear for astrophotography though. My MkII was great when it came out, but its been passed and there are better low light options out there.

The good thing is I now have a star tracker mount to balance out the noise issue. With the tracker I don't have to shoot at such a high ridiculous ISO to get the shots which reduces me noise. Its a compromise, can't imagine what I could get with the tracker and some up to date gear.
    -Matt

I actually have a 14mm 2.8 lens in my collection, Canon of course. Its the Rokinon/Samyang/ProOptic (basically all the same 3rd party and make decent lenses for the price). I don't find myself using it unless I really have an open area to work with. In the front yard or backyard it would just capture to many trees and to much of the house/yard. If I went west it would 100% be in my bag though for this. I definitely want to advance and try some new gear for astrophotography though. My MkII was great when it came out, but its been passed and there are better low light options out there.

The good thing is I now have a star tracker mount to balance out the noise issue. With the tracker I don't have to shoot at such a high ridiculous ISO to get the shots which reduces me noise. Its a compromise, can't imagine what I could get with the tracker and some up to date gear.
    You are right, with a star tracker you can do much longer exposures. I tend to shoot stars with foreground objects so I am limited to 25 seconds or so. I am in the West and the 14-24 is on the camera 75% of the time for landscapes and almost all night photography.

Matt, looks like a Kindred spirit here with Steve!

Steve, would love to see some of your pics on the forums new media Center....hint hint
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...6-Photo-Centre
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    You are right, with a star tracker you can do much longer exposures. I tend to shoot stars with foreground objects so I am limited to 25 seconds or so. I am in the West and the 14-24 is on the camera 75% of the time for landscapes and almost all night photography.
    I'd rather be the guy that takes multiple exposures. Some of the sky and one of the foreground and then just stack them in post LOL. Ah the digital age.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

Steve, would love to see some of your pics on the forums new media Center....hint hint

Haha! I like anyone who shares my passion for photography! And a few who don't And yes everyone should jump into that section! Not just for fish either!
    -Matt

I'll Put up some recent photos soon. BTW, you have an awesome forum! I don't think I could tackle this new hobby without it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    I'll Put up some recent photos soon. BTW, you have an awesome forum! I don't think I could tackle this new hobby without it!
    I will never get tired of hearing that! Thanks!!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Your wish is my command.Milky Way Joshua trees 1200.jpg
    Last edited by SteveCA; 02-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12