AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discouraging young pairs

Real Name
    Steve

Default Discouraging young pairs

I've got a couple 4.5+" Neon Sapphires that are flirting. I bought them last summer from Kenny, I forget, but probably at 3.5 ". I've read it could stunt their growth if they start spawning too young. So, are they too young? If so, is there a way to discourage this behavior?

Registered Member

Default Re: Discouraging young pairs

IMO not a lot you can do to prevent it. A heavily stocked tank for me has worked in the past as the fish can't claim territories, but even that at times is not a 100% effective...Bill

Nothing to break the love unless you separate them
    Ryan

Real Name
    Steve

Ah! Teenagers. But that raises the question, would it be better to do so? Is the stunting real?

Registered Member

The stunting is real. Once a female starts to lay eggs, her growth stops. All energy is expended on spawning. Males will continue to grow...Bill

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Is it the egg laying that stops female growth or subsequent fry raising? I was under the impression it was the later.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Personally I think it slows the female down but in the long run I do not think affects them as long as they are cared for properly. I don't worry about when mine start to spawn. My females that I grow out normally hit 6 inches plus.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I wouldn't be concerned

Yes, it does in my opinion retard the growth of young females and invariably the males do continue to grow. That is my experience so far. I have four rose red females, all bought at the same time. One immediately started spawning and has continued with a San Merah that was also purchased at the same time. She is much smaller than the other three females who have not attempted continuous spawning. They have all spawned but she has continued to spawn almost weekly since she was just under a year old. She is perfectly formed but she is much smaller than her mates. She is in a community tank with ten other discus. She is the smallest one and she is now almost two years old.

Registered Member

It could be Rick the later. But for me a pair, tho at times lucky enough to get it right the first time, usually can raise fry successfully after a few times, so in reality how much time has elapsed from her first spawn to her first successful one? Not much time to put on any noticeable growth IME...Bill

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had a BD, er, NS successful pair before, so I think I'll let it happen. I'll just keep changing water.

it is quite natural for females to be a different size than males. our local populations of walleyes in the great lakes the females are actually the larger of the two usually. but you look at many species and this changes. its natural don't fight it. just make your fish happy.

if you were growing fish out for food or competition or to sell as adults than I would separate females as they show themselves but good luck stopping them from putting eggs down.