AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding electric blue rams

Default Breeding electric blue rams

Since I don't have enough room to breed discus for now, I have attempted to breed EBRs instead, and have been quite successful.

I separated all the eggs a few hours after the parent lay them into a white container or a 1G plastic jar. Since my rams breed on small rocks that I alternatively switch out, this is very convenience. The first few batches, I used methylene blue for antifungal, but that was proven to be ineffective with the hatch rate somewhere around 50-70%. Then, the later batches I used hydrogen peroxide instead, and it worked like a charm! After spending about a week or two in the white container, they are transferred into a 10G tank with a heater set at 82F and a sponge filter.

I have 3 batch of EBR growing out and another batch of wigglers. I would estimate the population somewhere in the 200-300 range. About 30 of them (my first batch) will be ready for sell in a couple week, and I don't know the price point for these fish. I'm thinking of calling up some LFS and craiglist, but that's all I have for now. Unfortunately, I wont be able to ship, so that is out of the question.

Here are some pictures:

Wigglers in white 11.4L Sterilite container:

3-4 weeks:

5-6 weeks:

51 days old (Almost 2 months)

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Breeding electric blue rams

Nice job. I used to raise GBR until we decided to build a house. They are fun to raise and grow quickly. Your babies look to have bellies full of baby brine shrimp. Good luck with their progress.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Nice.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    Nice job. I used to raise GBR until we decided to build a house. They are fun to raise and grow quickly. Your babies look to have bellies full of baby brine shrimp. Good luck with their progress.
    Thank you! It can be overwhelming for sure! especially when my pairs keep breeding and I have to look away because I don't have tanks for more frys

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Nice.

-john

Thank you John!