ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Wild Discus in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area?

Default Recommendations for Wild Discus in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area?

Hey,

I'm going to be in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area in late Feb., early March. It's a perfect time to be there as it's FRE-E-E-ZING here in Jersey right now.

Can anyone recommend a good seller in the general area to check out for wild fish? I generally can fit a few in my suitcase to bring back home. I've done this numerous times before. A few hours in a suitcase. It works. Cash and carry.

Regards,

Stu

Default Re: Recommendations for Wild Discus in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area?

Gabe is selling wilds now. Heckles, green, and red (I think). You can check with him.

He also has wild altums for $25 each. Fully acclimated to tap water.

Other than Gabe, I don't think there is anyone else in Miami selling wilds.

Thanks I know Gabe and will of course check him out when I go down as I do every year.

Make the drive over to the SW coast to Fort Myers and see John (snookn21). Call him and schedule an appointment, and maybe double-check that he has discus in stock then. It's a little late in the season for wilds by March.

Stu,
    I always recommend Sponsors here of the forum for your Discus needs. These sellers support the forum and commit to trying to provide healthy and quality stock to its members. Purchasing from a sponsor supports those that supports you in the Hobby.

Not sure your driving limitations but we have 2 sponsors in Florida that sell Wilds..Theres Snookn21 and Mark Chen. I'd get in touch with them and see what they have and arrange a visit if possible.

Have fun!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

While I appreciate and prefer to patronize sponsors on the site, Snookn21 in Fort Myers is 4-5 hours round trip while Mark Chen is a whopping 8-9 hours round trip. So Mark is not do-able. Snookn21 also isn't very practical as my time in Florida is limited. From what I have seen on their links they seem to have grade A wild Discus and I only wish I could see them, they must be truly awesome to view in person.

I hope someone on the forum can still recommend a source a little closer to Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Miami being a major importation center for Latin America should have a few. I have two sources myself that I visit when I go down every year, and I'm really looking forward to getting out of this cold for a while, but still would like to check out some others.

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I have two sources myself that I visit when I go down every year, and I'm really looking forward to getting out of this cold for a while, but still would like to check out some others.
    If you already have two sources for wilds your not going to find another one with different wild fish.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

While I appreciate and prefer to patronize sponsors on the site, Snookn21 in Fort Myers is 4-5 hours round trip while Mark Chen is a whopping 8-9 hours round trip. So Mark is not do-able. Snookn21 also isn't very practical as my time in Florida is limited. From what I have seen on their links they seem to have grade A wild Discus and I only wish I could see them, they must be truly awesome to view in person.

I hope someone on the forum can still recommend a source a little closer to Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Miami being a major importation center for Latin America should have a few. I have two sources myself that I visit when I go down every year, and I'm really looking forward to getting out of this cold for a while, but still would like to check out some others.
    I can understand that Stu, which is why I mentioned not knowing your driving limitations. I am 5 hours from Hans, and have made the trip a couple of TImes...it was well worth the time spent to visit someone with quality stock and hatchery. You can always find people selling fish, but that doesn't mean that you will be getting good healthy stock at a fair price. Just something to consider. Theres a benefit to dealing with a known and proven entity rather than an unknown and unproven one,. In any case enjoy your trip and remember to Quarantine the heck out of your fish for a minimum of 6 weeks should you bring anything back.

I'm jealous, Florida is where I wish I was all winter!
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-30-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    If you already have two sources for wilds your not going to find another one with different wild fish.
    They're sources but may or may not have Wilds when I'm down there. They don't focus on wilds exclusively.

As far as not finding another one with different wild fish. My only response is, "?".

Again, if someone knows a source in the Miami area I'd like to check it out and would appreciate any information. Driving 5 and 8 hours round trip isn't practical.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They're sources but may or may not have Wilds when I'm down there. They don't focus on wilds exclusively.

As far as not finding another one with different wild fish. My only response is, "?".

Again, if someone knows a source in the Miami area I'd like to check it out and would appreciate any information. Driving 5 and 8 hours round trip isn't practical.
    I believe what Jerry means so all the sources in south Florida get their wild fish from the same source unless they import the wild fish directly.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I live in Miami Beach. To my knowledge their is no one that I know of that has wilds. Good luck Stu. Enjoy our weather. It has been a gorgeous winter here. Rufus

Quote Originally Posted by Rudustin View Post
    ... It has been a gorgeous winter here. Rufus
    Sure Rub it in Rufus!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sure Rub it in Rufus!!
    Well it has been Al but a bit cooler here in Orlando
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sure Rub it in Rufus!!
    Hello Al, When I figure out how to post pictures I will post a few pics from my balcony over Biscayne Bay. It's been lovely here. Pat lives much further north but I live in sub tropical Miami Beach. Come on down anytime. Rufus

Al, I also have all the doors and windows open and have not had to use heat or air conditioner for months!!! Just to rub it in a little more. LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast