AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Segrest farms Discus

Registered Member

Default Segrest farms Discus

Hi new to the forum.

Anyone know what segrest Farms is feeding 2 1/2 Discus can't seem to get a reply email from there website.

Thanks for any knowledge of this post.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Segrestframs Discus

Hey Scott and welcome to Simply. If you are considering buying juvie discus from Segrest Farms there are better places from which to buy discus. Since Segrest is a whole seller guessing you are looking at discus from your LFS? You may find these threads useful for selecting, buying and sourcing discus.

What not to buy
    Selecting Discus
    Strain List for Beginners

If you are looking for quality discus please consider browsing our sponsors SimplyDiscus-Sponsors
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 02-02-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Segrestframs Discus

Thanks Pat I was helping a friend that purchased Discus from a Local Pet Store and they are from that supplier. Having a little eating issues and was looking for some Info before I had him work on the starve tactic on getting to eat about anything or when you are trying to get Discus to switch food types.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Segrest farms Discus

Scott, let him know that many who buy discus from the LFS end up with unhealthy fish. It may be to your friends benefit to have them signup here to ensure they understand the basics of discus keeping.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

theres a whole youtube video on how segrest set up an ro low ph section for their discus. I saw photos..i was not impressed. they get from many sources of importing. also I felt like telling them there is no reason to do ro water on them. they didn't look lively. regular tap would do better and they do send off to lfs all over north America so they are changing water many times . from asia to segrest with ro water to lfs then to your home.
    check out the sponsors of simply. they are all dedicated , educated conscienscious sellers who need to keep their customers happy and look after their customers or they will no longer be a sponsor. they are all screened carefully.
    they ship and help with support and guidelines and know their fish and all have been quarantined and acclimated carefully.
    segrest is an amazing wholesaler for most fish and quite the impressive operation. but..discus you can do better from a simply sponsor. the best experience with discus is to start with good healthy stock. otherwise problems to start and people get discouraged.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

You will never get an answer on what the fish were fed.....they have no way of knowing. The vast majority of large wholesalers never feed their fish anything. They get them in and get them out before the fish starve to death. If thery feed them they would have to change water. The cost of the water and the food is greater then the expense of the fish that they will lose but not feeding. Also since their fish can come from a lot of different sources they do not know where any 1 particular fish originated. All I can tell your friend is good luck and in the future start here first for a better source of fish.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas