ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing me, wishlist grows

Real Name
    Matt

Default Killing me, wishlist grows

This was just announced. Crazy!! Insane stills camera, plus full HD video, and timelapse INSIDE the camera. 50 mega pixels is like, amazing for print work. Its pretty revolutionary to be honest. If they have nailed high ISO and shadow noise then they might of hit a home run. I feel like its a sort of niche product but it sounds amazing. We're talking about printing billboards here. I still want one. And that lens....wooooo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...S-ReadMoreText

What I hope happens is this is such a niche product that they might have to make something inbetween the MK III and this in the meantime driving the prices of the current models down. Having another body is on my list. I still want this new one though.

This announcement is like Dodge announcing their Hellcat engine. Its going to start an arms race in the camera industry.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Killing me, wishlist grows

Wow, a nice 11-24. It isn't too fast but it is fast enough for wide angle photography. I would hate to deal with the file sizes of this beast though, unless I did large print jobs. It is more difficult to have great ISO management with such high count sensors. However, I have never judged a camera based on stats until I see it in a real world scenario. Thanks for sharing.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I tend to agree that's why I said its probably going to be more of a niche body. If they nailed the ISO at such high levels it will be pretty awesome, I think that's what most everyone I've seen is waiting on finding out. Can't wait to see some test shots and stuff from this.
    -Matt

From what I understand this is an upscale of the 7DII sensor, and if so that's a shame. There was a rumour that they were going to use a Sony made sensor which would really have made a massive improvement in DR. The biggest issues here will be lens resolving power and PC/Mac processing power. We started to see lenses hot their resolving power when the 16MP DX sensors came out, when Nikon brought out the 36MP sensor that showed many more lenses up. Now they have the 24MP DX sensor many DX lenses are rubbish on it and they need good (read expensive) glass.

Diffraction limits get hit very early too, somewhere between f5.6 and f6.3 I think. Canon are marketing this very much as a niche camera, mainly landscape and studio, but I'm not convinced it will be a great landscape camera simply because the majority are shot at high f numbers such as f8, f11 etc ... of course the DoF on the new 11-24mm lens @ 11mm will be pretty decent

I've been toying with getting a D810 (or maybe a D800 used) as I mainly shoot landscapes, but diffraction is a real issue with that. Nikon are rumoured to be bring out a 50MP+ DSLR but I just couldn't get excited over it, now if it was medium format ...

No doubt there will be resolution a plenty though.

Sorry, didn't want to put a dampener on it - I'd wait to see what the 5DMkIV brings, I suspect that could have some game changing attributes.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

MATT,
    Its pretty bad I know when we see this new technology...its jumping in leapsvand bounds...something is always there we want!

For me..Pentax Ricoh just announced they will have their first full frame Dslr ...and are still making it backwards compatible with all pentax lens...in the pentax world..this is huge...I want it badly...sigh...probably wont happen for me for a while...but its good to dream.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

While I do not really know enough to get really excited over this but can you image the storage needs of a camera like this. It will be massive.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    From what I understand this is an upscale of the 7DII sensor, and if so that's a shame. There was a rumour that they were going to use a Sony made sensor which would really have made a massive improvement in DR. The biggest issues here will be lens resolving power and PC/Mac processing power. We started to see lenses hot their resolving power when the 16MP DX sensors came out, when Nikon brought out the 36MP sensor that showed many more lenses up. Now they have the 24MP DX sensor many DX lenses are rubbish on it and they need good (read expensive) glass.

Diffraction limits get hit very early too, somewhere between f5.6 and f6.3 I think. Canon are marketing this very much as a niche camera, mainly landscape and studio, but I'm not convinced it will be a great landscape camera simply because the majority are shot at high f numbers such as f8, f11 etc ... of course the DoF on the new 11-24mm lens @ 11mm will be pretty decent

I've been toying with getting a D810 (or maybe a D800 used) as I mainly shoot landscapes, but diffraction is a real issue with that. Nikon are rumoured to be bring out a 50MP+ DSLR but I just couldn't get excited over it, now if it was medium format ...

No doubt there will be resolution a plenty though.

Sorry, didn't want to put a dampener on it - I'd wait to see what the 5DMkIV brings, I suspect that could have some game changing attributes.
    I've used the D800 and it was such a nice body to play with. I didn't use it on anything important, but the brief time that I handled it, it was really great. I wouldn't hesitate to get that body. I have not heard enough of the D810 though. I love how Nikon uses Sony sensors better than Sony! How is that possible? lol. Till this day, the DR that I get from my a99 is on a whole other level from any other body I have ever used before.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Oh I fully agree with this. I want to see what they do with an upgraded 5D Mk IV or an upgraded 7D. I also agree with the Sony sensor, that was the general hope among Canon users when this was hinted at.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I've used the D800 and it was such a nice body to play with. I didn't use it on anything important, but the brief time that I handled it, it was really great. I wouldn't hesitate to get that body. I have not heard enough of the D810 though. I love how Nikon uses Sony sensors better than Sony! How is that possible? lol. Till this day, the DR that I get from my a99 is on a whole other level from any other body I have ever used before.
    The D810 improves on every aspect of the D800 - I think one of the reasons Nikon get a bit more out of it is that Sony for some bizarre reason tamper with the raw file ...

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    While I do not really know enough to get really excited over this but can you image the storage needs of a camera like this. It will be massive.
    Typically the D8xx series produce around 45Mb files when shooting raw ... so that would be around 60 -65 mb for the Canon @ 14 bits

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    MATT,
    Its pretty bad I know when we see this new technology...its jumping in leapsvand bounds...something is always there we want!

For me..Pentax Ricoh just announced they will have their first full frame Dslr ...and are still making it backwards compatible with all pentax lens...in the pentax world..this is huge...I want it badly...sigh...probably wont happen for me for a while...but its good to dream.
    It is massive and it opens up a massive pool of options lens wise - my old SLR uses Pentax mount lenses, one of the reasons I bought it was to use Pentax glass, they were superb! Be great to see how they perform on digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Oh I fully agree with this. I want to see what they do with an upgraded 5D Mk IV or an upgraded 7D. I also agree with the Sony sensor, that was the general hope among Canon users when this was hinted at.
    Canon need to pull something out of the hat sensor wise - it would have made a whole heap of sense using Sony sensors. If the step from the 5DMkIII to 5DMkIV is as big as the MkII to MkIII was it could well be worth waiting for. Canon do have a massive advantage though, they have the ability to use dual processors, whereas the Nikon architecture currently restricts them to one - so Canon should be able to get ahead with on sensor phase detect AF and frame rates ... now that would be something.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Matt

I want them to put 4k video on it as well LOL. Hopefully by the time that happens the 4k monitors will be cheaper than what they are currently. And I'd rather not buy a 1DC and 100% NOT a Red, that's literally like buying a car.

My guess would be that Sony is willing to sell them sensors, but I'm not totally sure of that. Could be a reason why its not there?
    -Matt

I never thought about video, (I'm not much into video) but yeah it would make sense for Canon to do that. I don't think it will be too long before the 4K monitors are affordable, I think Dell already do one.

Sony seem to have the magic juice flowing with sensor tech, I can't believe for a minute that they wouldn't want to sell them to another large user - financially it would make massive sense to me. I guess Canon have their reasons, maybe it's pride, who knows ...
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Matt

Agreed, what I can't believe is why Canon is lagging so far behind both Sony and Nikon in sensor technology. I understand Sony, they sell their sensor products/technology to a wider market therefore need more incremental jumps in technology. What I hope this means is that Canon will make a giant leap forward once they do update if they don't start using Sony. They know theres more to a good camera but pair that good camera with a good sensor and the possibilities are endless.

Doesn't Nikon buy Sony sensors among others? I see two possibilities coming. Either Canon will make a leap in their own sensors or will be forced to buy from someone like Sony. The gap is increasing not closing so something will have to happen.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

There are so many features I like on this camera, that I want on a camera.....hoping they put them in on the 5D4. Motorized mirror, shutter release delay, timelapse in the camera output as a video file, crazy resolution, latest and greatest autofocus, the ability to shoot crazy large resolutions or more normal resolutions, etc.

Like other Canon users I'm concerned about the noise level at high ISOs. What I'm interested to see is if when scaled down to a more normal size will the 5DS's 50 megapixels look better. Aka taking a 50 megapixel image and scaling it down to a 20-21 size will it hold any advantage? This is what I am interested to see in test photos. Canon's DR still seems to lack as this new model has DR comparable to the 5D3.

Here are some sample photos from Japan already. There aren't to many high ISO shots yet though. We know the low ISO shots will be insane and good quality, its the other end we are worried about. The night time 800 ISO shot looks pretty good though. The detail in these photos is pretty crazy. And the videos look good.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=14453

Like I said, if anything maybe it will bring 5D3 prices down and I can upgrade to that while I wait on the 4. I still drool at shoot resolutions that large.
    -Matt

Agreed, what I can't believe is why Canon is lagging so far behind both Sony and Nikon in sensor technology. I understand Sony, they sell their sensor products/technology to a wider market therefore need more incremental jumps in technology. What I hope this means is that Canon will make a giant leap forward once they do update if they don't start using Sony. They know theres more to a good camera but pair that good camera with a good sensor and the possibilities are endless.
    Yep sure are.

Doesn't Nikon buy Sony sensors among others? I see two possibilities coming. Either Canon will make a leap in their own sensors or will be forced to buy from someone like Sony. The gap is increasing not closing so something will have to happen.
    Nikon use their own sensor in one of the DX bodies, the Toshiba in others and all of the full frame are Sony.

There are so many features I like on this camera, that I want on a camera.....hoping they put them in on the 5D4. Motorized mirror, shutter release delay, timelapse in the camera output as a video file, crazy resolution, latest and greatest autofocus, the ability to shoot crazy large resolutions or more normal resolutions, etc.

Like other Canon users I'm concerned about the noise level at high ISOs. What I'm interested to see is if when scaled down to a more normal size will the 5DS's 50 megapixels look better. Aka taking a 50 megapixel image and scaling it down to a 20-21 size will it hold any advantage? This is what I am interested to see in test photos. Canon's DR still seems to lack as this new model has DR comparable to the 5D3.

Here are some sample photos from Japan already. There aren't to many high ISO shots yet though. We know the low ISO shots will be insane and good quality, its the other end we are worried about. The night time 800 ISO shot looks pretty good though. The detail in these photos is pretty crazy. And the videos look good.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=14453

Like I said, if anything maybe it will bring 5D3 prices down and I can upgrade to that while I wait on the 4. I still drool at shoot resolutions that large.
    There are some images on the UK canon site and they do seem nice. To answer your question re downsizing, yes it will improve things in terms of noise. At 100% crops of the 24MP image from my camera compared to a 100% crop form a D810 at ISO 3200 there is more noise in the D810 image, down size to 24Mp and they are the same.

Of course if you really want the best body to shoot at stupid high ISO's (and I do sometimes) then it has to be the D4S or the 1DX - both are insane! Also noticed today the new D5 being rumoured with an AF system with 173 points ...
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Matt

So to add to this. Rumor today is that there will be an announcement from Canon in Q3 or Q4 of 2015 regarding what many think will be a new 5D (Could be called the 5DX but if its named that it tells me they might sneak in a 5DIV since the X would be yet another specialty camera). The test body specs out are a little disappointing overall for what most wanted in a 5D IV so some suspect the IV may still be lurking out there somewhere. The specs show it should be better for low light, but megapixels have dropped (probably because they think if you want more you can buy one of their new 50mp bodies listed above and they will be trying to put out a camera to compete with the Sony A7S.), 12fps, and 4k video has been added. It will also require the new Cfast memory cards....currently crazy expensive however that tells me they might be serious about 4k in the body. Lower megapixels for better low light capabilities and higher ISOs.....the thing will basically be able to see in the dark. To me this new rumor screams something to compete with the Sony A7s, though I think Canon is a bit late to the party.

I am a Canon nut, have been since I got into the hobby of photography however unless the sensors change or they come out with one heck of a 5DIV announcement I might just be looking around at the D810 type or Sony A7s. It just burns me so bad though, I have never enjoyed the feeling of a Nikon in my hands. I feel like they are blocky and the ergonomics on them are terrible to me personally. And I have my Canon lenses already. Sigh. I actually might rent them soon just to play with them, hold them, see what the fuss is about. My camera body is aging, been wanting to upgrade but was holding out hope for a 5DIV announcement. Even the 5D3 is aging these days. Come on Canon. It really does make me feel sick thinking about having to switch up the brands due to having to get all new equipment. We'll see I guess, frustrating.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast