AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killing me, wishlist grows

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Killing me, wishlist grows

I just replied to you on another thread, but wanted to say that the 6D was very impressive to me wrt iso management. Of course it isn't a D4s or 1DX but still, a great low light body. The Sony A7s is one I have actually not shot with, but I did ponder getting it for a very long time. However, as it stands, I do not feel that my a99 is lacking in any way and the video capabilities aren't a huge concern to me. If I remember correctly though, the Sony A7s does not have internal HDMI output directly. I believe you need some kind of external device to be able to record in 4k. I really don't know much about video, but I believe that is what it was that made the Sony fall back in that category in comparison.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I've thought about the 5DIII, its basically very very close to the 6D. I could get the 5DIII body (greymarket) for an insane good price now, but again....with hope of something just a bit better floating around I keep wanting to wait. I probably will wait, but I still want to rent the 810, just heard to much about it I want to see what the fuss is about.

Ideally I'd like to be able to afford a new body while keeping this old one. Especially by the time a new model comes out an I don't know how much an "ancient" 5D2 will be worth. Currently I guess it could pay for a nice piece of glass if I had another body. Its still very young shutter actuation wise (if you can believe it) so that's a good thing.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I've thought about the 5DIII, its basically very very close to the 6D. I could get the 5DIII body (greymarket) for an insane good price now, but again....with hope of something just a bit better floating around I keep wanting to wait. I probably will wait, but I still want to rent the 810, just heard to much about it I want to see what the fuss is about.

Ideally I'd like to be able to afford a new body while keeping this old one. Especially by the time a new model comes out an I don't know how much an "ancient" 5D2 will be worth. Currently I guess it could pay for a nice piece of glass if I had another body. Its still very young shutter actuation wise (if you can believe it) so that's a good thing.
    5DIII is a great body as well. I have only shot with it briefly and it was a nice body. I found it difficult to handle because I was so use to my layout, so half the time was spent trying to find stuff. Other than that, it was a great body with beautiful files.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I shoot with a D800 and D3s and have been on a number of Landscape photo tours. Over the past 3 years, the number of canon shooters has rapidly diminished in favor of the D800/810. The primary reason given was dynamic range and low light performance and of course, mega pixels. With this new 5d, the megapixel issue is gone but I would pay very close attention to dynamic range and noise. The tours I've been on involved post processing and I can tell you that the few remaining Canon shooters were astonished at how much better the nikon dynamic range was and how superior the color noise (or lack thereof) was on the Nikon D800/810. The tour leader, Marc Adamus was an avid Canon shooter until the D800 came out. He sold everything Canon and switched after trying the D800. I have other friends that have done the same.

The good news is that their canon lenses sold quickly and at very high prices. So if this new mark IV doesn't live up to the hype, you can sell your stuff for good money and make the switch. I can confirm that the Nikon 14-24, 24-70 are fantastic lenses for Landscape photography.

Real Name
    Matt

That's why I'm considering it Steve, the DR on Nikon and Sony blows Canon out of the water sad to say. Even Canon's new bodies still lag behind because they refuse to put Sony sensors in their cameras in favor of their own. It really is a large problem and gripe among us Canon owners. I'm not sure if its Canon being stubborn or Sony/Nikon trying to keep Canon out of the game....which I doubt because Sony will sell to anyone. Its just frustrating that the cameras can be so much better with a simple sensor/DR upgrade. I'll see what the next few months bring, I can rent a D810 and a lens for around $300 for a week so I will do that in the next few months as well. Might check around and see if anyone local has one I can play with in the meantime.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

That's why I'm considering it Steve, the DR on Nikon and Sony blows Canon out of the water sad to say. Even Canon's new bodies still lag behind because they refuse to put Sony sensors in their cameras in favor of their own. It really is a large problem and gripe among us Canon owners. I'm not sure if its Canon being stubborn or Sony/Nikon trying to keep Canon out of the game....which I doubt because Sony will sell to anyone. Its just frustrating that the cameras can be so much better with a simple sensor/DR upgrade. I'll see what the next few months bring, I can rent a D810 and a lens for around $300 for a week so I will do that in the next few months as well. Might check around and see if anyone local has one I can play with in the meantime.
    Matt, if you ever want to play with a new toy, I can ship you out my body and 24-70 and get a feel for the Sony Sensor. Just pay the ship

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks! I'll let you know.

And for the record, for anyone wondering Canon 6D make excellent budget (compared to say the 5D3) astrophotography cameras.
    -Matt

Well this conversation is going on in two different photo threads.
    Matt, regarding your comment about ergonomics, I really like the feel of the D810. They have changed the grip a bit from the D800. I have biggish hands and have always shot with large "pro" bodies so this was quite a change for me, but the D810 was pleasantly comfortable to work with. Using custom settings I was able to get all critical functions in an easy workable configuration so that all key changes could be made without taking the camera away from ones eye.

The attached image is a JPEG from the RAW file with NO processing. ( I was playing with the D810 today at the Zoo.) I was just working with the limits of the camera, not trying to take perfectly composed pics.
    SS 1/125, f5.6, ISO 3200 and the camera in 1.5 crop mode using a 70-200mm 2.8 lens. Cloudy day lighting but inside. Bird was moving about. The highlights are well handled, amazingly little noise, the dark black rock vs the greens and the white on the feathers all well controlled by the camera. Pretty nice.

20150223_2015 Zoo_115222_3782.jpg
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Matt

I was about to say, wow...3200 and hardly any noise. Detail is excellent as well.

To be honest I haven't picked up a Nikon since....gosh....one of the early D70s I guess. The right grip just did not work with my hand at all, way to rigid. You can clearly see in pictures they've rounded that side of the camera out some so I'd be interested in seeing how it feels. A change would be a learning curve for sure, all of the buttons are in different spots! It'd be like moving to the UK and having to learn to drive the wrong way like Paul and company
    -Matt

If you are getting serious:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/40565049?w...620288&veh=sem
    There is an E version as well I think. Very nice explanation of all the functions. From what I've seen if you can handle a Canon menu, Nikon will be a breeze!
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Ricardo

There is nothing like actually going out and handling these bodies in real life Matt. Do you not have any large camera shops around you?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Apart from places like Best Buy I don't think so, not that I've found at least. Which might work if they have display models out but I don't go in there to often.
    -Matt

I know its difficult to get used to a new body from a different manufacturer but I can tell you that it is easier going from Canon to nikon versus the other way around. At least thatss what I've heard from y convert friends. With the Nikons, virtually everything is button accessible as opposed to needing to use the menu all the time. When it comes to dynamic range and noise, particularly at high ISO's, you will be blown away. Every Canon shooter I've been with on photo tours were muttering after comparing their shots with the D800 shots as we performed post processing.

One more little known point that I want to share is that for some very strange reason, the D800E has more high ISO noise than the D800. On a photo tour right after the D800 came out, I told Marc (Adamus) that I was going to order the D800E as soon as I got home. He told me to avoid it as it had more noise. Almost everyone in the group had the E version but Marc had both. He showed us the same shot (night time 6400ISO, perfect usable by the way) and man there was a big difference in noise. In fact, we were able to replicate those results with other D800 E's in the group. The very slight resolution gain is virtually imperceptible in prints, even very large ones but the noise difference is pretty dramatic. He had the D800E owners pretty bummed.

Here is a night shot with my D3s from that trip. I wish I had the D800 at that time but oh well:

Mono Lake Star reflections 1080 FB.jpg
    Last edited by SteveCA; 02-24-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Sorry for the dumb question but how do you post a photo that displays without clicking on the photo?

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Steve. You can either host it off of the site and wrap IMG tags around the URL like: [IMG]URL HERE[/IMG] or you can add it as an attachment in the post which you should see if you clicked Go Advanced when posting. I right clicked your image to view it. Very nice shot there none the less 800 or not. You've all convinced me to at least try the D810, I'll have to do some side by side comparisons to really make up my mind. Ideal world I'd have a D810 with glass AND a Canon 5D whatever is next with glass LOL....to bad its not an ideal world. Come on Powerball.
    -Matt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast