AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killing me, wishlist grows

Default Re: Killing me, wishlist grows

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks Steve. You can either host it off of the site and wrap IMG tags around the URL like: [IMG]URL HERE[/IMG] or you can add it as an attachment in the post which you should see if you clicked Go Advanced when posting. I right clicked your image to view it. Very nice shot there none the less 800 or not. You've all convinced me to at least try the D810, I'll have to do some side by side comparisons to really make up my mind. Ideal world I'd have a D810 with glass AND a Canon 5D whatever is next with glass LOL....to bad its not an ideal world. Come on Powerball.
    Got it, I will try that next time. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question but how do you post a photo that displays without clicking on the photo?
    Hi Steve, looks like your image is hosted on dropbox, most folk will either use Flickr, 500px or photobucket (yuk) or similar ... you can host on here too, and that way the forum never loses content. Have a look here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...23#post1142723 - but note that currently we are limited to 2Mb max files size.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Paul

Thanks. I learned to upload it to this site and attach the photo. 2MB is plenty as I downsize my photos for web purposes.

Steve

Real Name
    Matt

Sooooooo Sigma just released a 24 1.4 lens in it's "Art" collection. Costs $849. Canon's 24 1.4 II costs $1,649. Sigma's looks pretty good too. We have a candidate for what my next lens purchase will be. I also need to get a 200mm or more focal length lens at some point. Assuming I won't be switching brands that is. Which despite the Nikon looking very good is doubtful right now. We'll see.
    -Matt

Sooooooo Sigma just released a 24 1.4 lens in it's "Art" collection. Costs $849. Canon's 24 1.4 II costs $1,649. Sigma's looks pretty good too. We have a candidate for what my next lens purchase will be. I also need to get a 200mm or more focal length lens at some point. Assuming I won't be switching brands that is. Which despite the Nikon looking very good is doubtful right now. We'll see.

Sigma been making some very good lens Lately Matt.. I have been looking real hard at their 50-500 Bigma and his little brother the 150-500 for my birding.. If I had the funds I'd go with something else, but given the reviews and my lack of a budget.If I pull the trigger it will probably be on a sigma...they are often fair compromises to the financially compromised.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Matt, I've told you before, I really like sigma. It's too bad they don't pay the licensing with Sony but that is one of the reasons they are able to sell cheaper.

Al, I'd also look at the Tammy 150-600

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Matt, I've told you before, I really like sigma. It's too bad they don't pay the licensing with Sony but that is one of the reasons they are able to sell cheaper.

Al, I'd also look at the Tammy 150-600
    I have... Tamron has'nt made a lens with a pentax mount in a while and has no plans to.. The Tamron 150-600 is not available to us lowly Pentax users. Its tough being the little guy.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

I don't mind Sigmas either, they seem to actually be very good glass compared to the Canon red rings. Hard to beat for the money. There was a lot of reports of focus being off in the Sigmas, mainly the 35mm 1.4 that came earlier, but they offer a USB programmer of sorts that makes it easy to calibrate it and after doing that everyone's problems went away. Pics I've seen from them look good too.

Al they just dropped the price on a number of their lenses, the 105-500mm f5-6.3 is $799 now I think for all mounts. 50-500 dropped too. Actually making me look at those as well.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I have... Tamron has'nt made a lens with a pentax mount in a while and has no plans to.. The Tamron 150-600 is not available to us lowly Pentax users. Its tough being the little guy.

al
    Shucks, that is too bad. I didn't know that about Pentax and Tamron.

I don't mind Sigmas either, they seem to actually be very good glass compared to the Canon red rings. Hard to beat for the money. There was a lot of reports of focus being off in the Sigmas, mainly the 35mm 1.4 that came earlier, but they offer a USB programmer of sorts that makes it easy to calibrate it and after doing that everyone's problems went away. Pics I've seen from them look good too.

Al they just dropped the price on a number of their lenses, the 105-500mm f5-6.3 is $799 now I think for all mounts. 50-500 dropped too. Actually making me look at those as well.
    I'm assuming most Canon body come with self calibrating option? If so, why were so many complaining when they could have calibrated the lens? Especially a wide lens like that when dialing in shouldn't be a problem compared to a longer FL.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Yes the newer Canon bodies come with AF Microadjustment. I think the Sigma USB calibration came out as a result or after the problems, not sure. So once the fix was in everyone was happy. Here it is, has one for each mount that is compatible with the company's lenses. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Of course it probably won't work with a bunch of the older lenses.
    -Matt

Here is a link to dxomarjs lens reviews. I think they may have reviewed this lens

http://www.dxomark.com/content/searc...=Sigma&x=0&y=0

I would make sure that it performs well enough for your next body before plunking down the dough...

Most lenses will not be sufficient for your next 50mp body.

Edit:

Whoops, i clicked on the review and see that it hasnt been reviewed yet
    Last edited by SteveCA; 03-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Real Name
    Matt

I don't plan to go to the 50mp body, not at this point anyway. I think it'd be cool to have but its not really the camera I want for every day use. Unless they announce some splash 5D Mk IV in the next few months I'm going to pickup a cheaper 5D Mk III body I think. Still going to take the 810 on a test run though.

This looks like it says review and test coming in March. It was announced in Feb but just now went on sale so I'm sure we'll see some stuff soon. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sigma/...DG-HSM-A-Canon
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Matt, have you used any of the Art lenses? My recommendation was not based on using any Art lenses if that matters (which it probably should)

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I've never used their Art lenses no.
    -Matt

I don't plan to go to the 50mp body, not at this point anyway. I think it'd be cool to have but its not really the camera I want for every day use. Unless they announce some splash 5D Mk IV in the next few months I'm going to pickup a cheaper 5D Mk III body I think. Still going to take the 810 on a test run though.

This looks like it says review and test coming in March. It was announced in Feb but just now went on sale so I'm sure we'll see some stuff soon. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sigma/...DG-HSM-A-Canon
    Matt

Even if you dont go with a 50mp body soon, you will likely go with a 36mp body within the next few years. The 36mp bodies are becoming commonplace. One should be able to keep their lens collection for more than a few years (unlike camera bodies) but that wont be the case with lens that cant resolve higher resolutions. I have seen that with all of my older Nikon glass and have become wary of buying any more lenses that dont resolve well in the new high MP world that we live in. I was in the market for the new Nikon 80-400mm until I read the DXO Mark review. That lens is fine for 24MP but insufficient for the D800/810.

I think most of the lens currently available are good to 16-24mp but lacking with the higher MP bodies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast