ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mean angels

Real Name
    Austin

Default Mean angels

Ever since I got my 2 large angles I've been losing 1 tetra a day. Is there any way to stop or lower the amount of tetra deaths due to these angles? Tank is 6 foot long with plants there's 1 cave with 2 pecies of driftwood and plenty of plants around it. More driftwood, caves and plants are comming.
    Thanks-Austin

Default Re: Mean angles

If your two large Angels are mature adults, or close to it, and your Tetras are small Neons, for example, or other small tetras of whatever strain, you will continue to lose some. The only solution is to get the tetras out of that tank into another. Either that, or re-home the Angels - there's really no other solutions.

Angels are cichlids. They will eat smaller fish. If they have a taste for them, the only thing you can do is separate them. Otherwise they'll hunt them until they're gone.

Real Name
    Austin

There going, angles anyone?

Registered Member

Default Re: Mean angels

try to give them to your LFS, I wish I lived close, I would take those angles in a heart beat, did you consider getting a small tank to keep your tetra's in, not too many fish prettier, imho, than some grown out angles, except maybe some grown out discus.

what strains are they? pics?

location helps too

Real Name
    Austin

20150207_174237.jpg there's 1 pic of the bigger one I don't have any on the smaller female but her primary colour is white she has vertical small black lines and when she's out I the light you can see her sparkle. she's just on the left behind the plant
    the pic was taking around when I got him he's a little stressed there
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Full grown Angels and Tetras. You're working against nature. They are food for the Angels.

Discus on the other hand generally don't go after them and leave my Cardinals and Black Tetras alone. They're not very good hunters.

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

My discus have lived peacefully with my cardinals for 7 months until the last 7 day vacation. I came home to one tetra without a tail. Thought he was a goner, but he seems to have adjusted. Anyway, I can't help with the angel problem, but I agree fish eat fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Full grown Angels and Tetras. You're working against nature. They are food for the Angels.

Discus on the other hand generally don't go after them and leave my Cardinals and Black Tetras alone. They're not very good hunters.
    My discus started hunting Neons and even a bit larger cardinals since they are about 3.5-4 inches size . One dead tetra hunted down by morning until I re homed them in to in my quarantine tank. Cichlids and too vicious and kill small fish even if they do not fit in to their mouths!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    My discus have lived peacefully with my cardinals for 7 months until the last 7 day vacation. I came home to one tetra without a tail. Thought he was a goner, but he seems to have adjusted. Anyway, I can't help with the angel problem, but I agree fish eat fish.
    Yes, due to the fact that the discus were fasting (I'm assuming) then ANY potential food is free game for discus that are accustomed to eating every day. Good thing to keep in mind when going on vacation.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Yes, due to the fact that the discus were fasting (I'm assuming) then ANY potential food is free game for discus that are accustomed to eating every day. Good thing to keep in mind when going on vacation.
    I have about 12-15 Cardinals and 4 Black Tetras in a 55 gal. w/4 medium sized, hopefully they're still growing, and one full grown Discus. No fatalities, but then again the Discus are well fed in a pretty heavily planted tank. It works when it works, but then again...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I have about 12-15 Cardinals and 4 Black Tetras in a 55 gal. w/4 medium sized, hopefully they're still growing, and one full grown Discus. No fatalities, but then again the Discus are well fed in a pretty heavily planted tank. It works when it works, but then again...
    Yup, keep feeding the discus and try not to break that cycle

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

I have one large angel in with about 50 assorted tetras without issues. Hopefully you find a good solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast