AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mean angels

Real Name
    Mat

Default Re: Mean angels

I have had one angel fish with my 5 discus for a few months but the past week or two I've noticed a severe increase in the Angels aggression towards one of my discus. I came in the room the other day and the angel actually had the discus pinned in the corner of the tank and kept nipping the side of the discus. Any reason for the dramatic aggressive behavior all of a sudden? And is there anything I can do to eliminate this, short of moving the angel fish out of the tank?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter420 View Post
    I have had one angel fish with my 5 discus for a few months but the past week or two I've noticed a severe increase in the Angels aggression towards one of my discus. I came in the room the other day and the angel actually had the discus pinned in the corner of the tank and kept nipping the side of the discus. Any reason for the dramatic aggressive behavior all of a sudden? And is there anything I can do to eliminate this, short of moving the angel fish out of the tank?
    Angels are simply more aggressive than discus. The angel may just be reaching maturity and will more than likely continue to exhibit this kind of behavior. Rehoming may be the best course of action here.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Angels are simply more aggressive than discus. The angel may just be reaching maturity and will more than likely continue to exhibit this kind of behavior. Rehoming may be the best course of action here.
    That's what I thought, also what I was hoping to avoid having to do. But if it's what's best for the fish, than that's what will be done.

As Ricardo mentioned, the angels may be reaching maturity and since he does not have any mates of his own kind, he will seek out the weakest of your discus as his challenge. I've never kept just one angel in a tank with others, unless I know the specific angel temperament. I've kept angels with discus for many years and they never mingled with each other. Then again I always kept 4 or 5 angels in each tank with about as many discus. If your tank is big enough you might be able to add more angels, that is if you want to try and keep them together, if not you can take out angel and start just an angel tank and enjoy both species..
    Jorge Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12