AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Problems of line breeding on Dogs.. What about discus ?

Registered Member

Default Problems of line breeding on Dogs.. What about discus ?

Hi People
    I was reading this article about the problems of limited genetic pools on dogs breeding and i wonder if this is also happening with our Discus.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...ushpmg00000063

What do you guys thing about it ? There are any specific health problems on our domestic discus strains?

Best,

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Problems of line breeding on Dogs.. What about discus ?

Before you start reading please keep in mind that every single breed of animal has become a breed because of line breeding. Either because of man or some other reason. Line breeding itself is not really a bad thing. Bad line breeding is bad, but not all of it.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Ricardo

irresponsible breeding is bad. Line breeding (as opposed to inbreeding) is the safe approach to garnashing qualities and attributes you like, and breeding them in to a breeding program. I bred a lot of dogs many years ago and got out of it because so many people show complete disregard on breeding dogs. It is sad.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Another sensational piece on dogs, good job they dont do these silly articles on HomoSapiens lol... Yes of course any animal that is closely bred has a much better chance to have two copies of the bad genes than two animals that are less closely related.
    The idea is you select the very best and only ever breed from them. In the case of dogs or cats or anything mankind can turn a fast buck over the wrong people do just that ... "Rare" Harlequin Poodles ,Chocolate Chows, .... List is endless.

I belive you must breed only from the best , when some one tried this with humans I belive it was eugenics and we had a bit of an argument with the chap and his friends.

I am by the way a dog breeder, and might point out the KC does not allow a registered breeder to register inbred pups. I must point out that the average mongrel is the most inbred "breed" going as "Rover" has generaly sired all the pups in a village or town ,thier daughters and grandaughters ,all served by Rover..he just hasnt got the paperwork to prove it.

I only came on here to read about water changes....lmao

Real Name
    Shari

I don’t know how far back some Discus lines go back...if breeders even keep pedigrees on the fish they breed. Our linebred pedigreed dogs only go back to the nineteenth centuries. Although,some breeds go back even further like Salukis for example.
    Fish, mmmmm they’ve been around for hundreds of millions of years and us humans like to tinker with our domestic animals and now we have colorful fish with attributes we want or are striving for for our tanks. I’ve never bred fish well...not other than cichlids or guppies. I’ve never thought of having a registered fish or wanting to register the lines. Do Discus breeders even keep paperwork on the young that they produce?

Do Discus breeders even keep paperwork on the young that they produce?
    not as a standard though many of us to keep notes on this and that cross or stock.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I bought some of Dirk Schlingerman Reds that were
    F7's.
    Cliff