ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gill flukes treatment for fry

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: gill flukes treatment for fry

I know your convinced this was flukes, but in my experience everything you described is much more likely to be a protozoan infection.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have to add some comments to this thread. Potassium Permanganate can be a very useful chemical when used correctly for the right things. It can also easily kill your fish. You need to be mindful of many factors like Organic loads, water conditioning chemicals etc all can interact with PP. Dosage and duration are important.

I've used it many times and many others do as well. I have saved fish and I killed fish with it, and anyone that tells you they haven't killed fish by accident with it probably blocked the memory because its not something we like to remember, or they used so little it probably couldn't cure anything.

But what is Potassium Permanganate.? Its not a medicine. Its a chemical oxidizer. It literally destroys organics and other things.. What are Organics? Bacteria, virus, protozoans, worms,flukes etc are all organic which is great right? Sure, but the fishes Gills are also. They are the site of most gas exchange and much other uptake into the fish. They are sensitive to irritants which is why they are irritated by flukes and parasites feeding on them .. They are also irritated by chemical burns from oxidizers. Theres also alot of work that shows that these oxidizers like PP can cause long term damage... we've seen many adult discus here with thickened protruding gills..no proof but I bet its from too much PP as a frys and juveniles. Somewhere on this forum we had a discussion once and there were pictures of gill filaments and deformities in them from chemical oxidizers called Clubbed Lamellae. I can't find that one now, but see this...

http://link.springer.com/article/10....639-014-0625-1

Also, the histological investigation showed a range of histopathological alternations in gills tissue including lamellar necrosis, hyperplasia, lamellar adhesion, haemorrhage, clubbing of gill lamellae. The severity of these alternations increased with increasing of the doses of the copper sulfate and potassium permanganate. In this regard, the highest histological damages were observed in 15 mg/l copper sulfate and 5 mg/l potassium permanganate respectively. Our results showed that low dosage of potassium permanganate has best effect on reducing of bacterial load of skin with lowest adverse effects on gill tissue.
    translated into simple english.. PP damages gills... so use it wisely and I wouldn't recommend it on fry, Their gills are developing rapidly and any damage is sure to have long term consequences.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I know your convinced this was flukes, but in my experience everything you described is much more likely to be a protozoan infection.
    i took a simple under microscope from dead fish gill .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I have to add some comments to this thread. Potassium Permanganate can be a very useful chemical when used correctly for the right things. It can also easily kill your fish. You need to be mindful of many factors like Organic loads, water conditioning chemicals etc all can interact with PP. Dosage and duration are important.

I've used it many times and many others do as well. I have saved fish and I killed fish with it, and anyone that tells you they haven't killed fish by accident with it probably blocked the memory because its not something we like to remember, or they used so little it probably couldn't cure anything.

But what is Potassium Permanganate.? Its not a medicine. Its a chemical oxidizer. It literally destroys organics and other things.. What are Organics? Bacteria, virus, protozoans, worms,flukes etc are all organic which is great right? Sure, but the fishes Gills are also. They are the site of most gas exchange and much other uptake into the fish. They are sensitive to irritants which is why they are irritated by flukes and parasites feeding on them .. They are also irritated by chemical burns from oxidizers. Theres also alot of work that shows that these oxidizers like PP can cause long term damage... we've seen many adult discus here with thickened protruding gills..no proof but I bet its from too much PP as a frys and juveniles. Somewhere on this forum we had a discussion once and there were pictures of gill filaments and deformities in them from chemical oxidizers called Clubbed Lamellae. I can't find that one now, but see this...

http://link.springer.com/article/10....639-014-0625-1

translated into simple english.. PP damages gills... so use it wisely and I wouldn't recommend it on fry, Their gills are developing rapidly and any damage is sure to have long term consequences.

al
    thanks for greet information . i used to do 100% water change with 50 ppm before treatment under all time absorption ........ pp like other treatment has side effect . but until now its a magical treatment with few side effects . one of the Famous discus breeder told to me that he add pp to his fry weekly from 10 day after swimming until reach 2 month ....... and he never have a problem with fry or adult that raising from these fry .

Real Name
    Rick

i used to do 100% water change with 50 ppm before treatment under all time absorption
    50 ppm?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    50 ppm?
    water is 50 ppm not pp

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

The dissolved solids in the water? Like TDS? You had us very confused with your terminology.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

piranha fry 40 day

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

50ppm of Potasium permanganate would wipe everything out in the tank 100% in about ⅛ of a second, I don't think a Discus would get a second breath in it, before its gills would be so burnt it would absorb oxygen anymore, anyways not to beat anyone up, because I didn't know either till I read some articles regarding pp treatment with Kio. 4-5ppm can be lethal at any length, I believe when the water is pink your probably close to 1-2ppm, I believe dark purple water from pp would be about 4-5ppm, which is in the deadly zone for sure. I've seen wholesalers giving kio a bath in purple pp water for about 10-15 seconds as they wipe the fish down with gloves on.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123