ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: This Boards Purpose and Rules..Document Strain Names and their associated pictures

Default This Boards Purpose and Rules..Document Strain Names and their associated pictures

Hello all,
    Have you ever wondered what a certain name of Discus looked like? It seems every day new names, strains and crosses are being developed and marketed . Its confusing to novices and experienced keepers alike! So we decided to start trying to keep a listing of these names and what they look like. If you have a fish picture and want to share it and its name here we have a few guidelines.

1) The image must belong to you! No exceptions. The forum respects the rights of the owner of that picture and does not want any image here that the owner did not expressly want here.

2) By submitting images here you grant SimplyDiscus the right to use said images in perpetuity for the purposes of producing this record of Discus strains and Discus Names. This includes images that you host off site. The purpose of this section is to produce a permanent record. Photos hosted off site are not a permanent record so we encourage all members to use the Forum's photo upload system for this section. If you need help with using the upload system, please contact a moderator or admin for assistance.

3) If you post a photo in this section of an offline hosted image..you give us the right to upload to our server said photo and insert it into you post as a back up in case something happens to your off site hosted photo.

4) Videos are not allowed....images only

5) Images are not to be overly modified...but may contain watermarks with your name on them.

6) Any Strain name, cross, etc can be listed. If the name is already in a thread title, post there, if it is not, make a new thread following the established pattern. Threads and posts may be placed into moderation while we check and edit them according. If so, we will try and do so as quickly as possible.

7) We may move pictures or combine threads as we see fit. This includes reorganizing images into galleries. We may also without warning or explanation delete images. Particularly ones that we feel are not in keeping with our stated goals, or that have questionable ownership rights.

8) Copyright issues can be reported to any moderator, admin, or emailed to webmaster@simplydiscus.com You may also use the thread report feature.

9) If at some future point you decide that you do not wish to be part of this forum, the image will remain in this listing for the benefit of the forums membership and hobbyists everywhere.

10) You agree to all these stipulations, as well as the general forum rules and FAQs if you decide to participate in this section of the forum. (Discus Strain Catalogue ( member submitted-- Strains galore!))

What I envision are threads started by members for the common Ones...

Red Turquoise Discus
    Striated Blue Discus
    Alenquers
    San Merah etc..

and also the special ones, ones that a particular breeder has made a name for or a particular strain of wilds.

Lastly ones for crosses. No longer will you have to scrounge for info on what you get when you cross a redmellon with a BD.. its there.
    or a wild green with a Blue Snakeskin. It will all be documented.

The Format is important . If you see a thread started that already covers your fish, don't start a new one, just add your pics to the existing one. For instance right now there is a thread there for "Forrest Red Turquoise Discus. " If you have "Forrest Red Turquoise Discus" . " post pics there. If you have a "Domestic Red Turquoise Discus start a new thread if there isn't one already for that line.

Follow this format in Domestics. " Name +Discus " In wilds the format is the same but you will use the River Name if you know it... example " Tefe Wild Green Discus" and for crosses...

"F1 Wild Green X Domestic Blue Snakeskin Discus" where the pics are of the offspring of a wild green X blue snakeskin.

We will monitor, edit and move as necessary.

Please read the rules before posting.....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...iated-pictures

A note on names... The point of this isn't to argue over whether such and such a discus should be called this or that...Theres hundreds of names for various breeds of discus that are pretty similar if not identical. The purpose is to simply catalogue what these names are and what the fish looks like thats associated it with it. After a while it will be clear what the groups each strain or trade name belongs. I also think it will be really useful in documenting the crosses. How many times have you read "what will I get when I cross this with this.?

I personally think that SimplyDiscus is uniquely situated as being able to pull this off long term.

Thank you,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-22-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: sp.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: This Boards Purpose and Rules..Document Strain Names and their associated pictur

Do you want each photo in its own thread, or only a separate thread for each strain (ie: if I were to add a second forrest red turq, should post it in Pat's thread, or in a separate thread?). Are threads then open for commentary/remarks? I am assuming pictures of adult fish are the most preferred?

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: This Boards Purpose and Rules..Document Strain Names and their associated pictur

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Do you want each photo in its own thread, or only a separate thread for each strain (ie: if I were to add a second forrest red turq, should post it in Pat's thread, or in a separate thread?). Are threads then open for commentary/remarks? I am assuming pictures of adult fish are the most preferred?

-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The Format is important . If you see a thread started that already covers your fish, don't start a new one, just add your pics to the existing one. For instance right now there is a thread there for "Forrest Red Turquoise Discus. " If you have "Forrest Red Turquoise Discus" . " post pics there. If you have a "Domestic Red Turquoise Discus start a new thread if there isn't one already for that line.
    I think the first question is covered Rick. Interested to see the answer to the second one though.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    I think the first question is covered Rick. Interested to see the answer to the second one though.
    My bad, I missed that...and I read it too.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are threads then open for commentary/remarks? I am assuming pictures of adult fish are the most preferred?
    Ideally Adults would be great, but juveniles are also welcome as it gives more info.

At this point the threads are open for comments and discussions but will be actively monitored to minimize any distractions from this board's stated purpose... to document the names and associated pictures. There are so many trade name, breeder assigned names now that this should help hobbyists see whats in a name. As time goes by we can then lump these into categories....and possibly work on classifications discussions. I'd hate to make it no comments ,but if it starts turning into a battle ground I'll re-evaluate that.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan

What an excellent idea. there are so many crosses that my head begins to spin. Something like will help tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by WildJon View Post
    What an excellent idea. there are so many crosses that my head begins to spin. Something like will help tremendously
    Thank you!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Default Image upload from Off Site Hosts like Photobucket to Simply's Server

Hi all,
    I was recently asked how to best handle the images That are hosted offsite at places like Photobucket that the member may want to use for Simply's Strain Catalog and other sections where the intent is to take a picture that you have hosted offsite and upload it to Simply's server . One option is to copy them from photobucket back to your computer and upload them with the forum software while keeping a copy for yourselves. I highly suggest that you always maintain a copy or two for yourself..

Other options are as follows.. ( 2 mb file max per image, larger images won't upload)

Option 1 :Procedure for upload from photobucket to the forum....

1.Go to photobucket and open the image you are interested in.

2.Right click on the image,select copy image location,

rightclick.jpg

or Copy the direct link (on right)

direct link.jpg

(Both methods work , however see note at the bottom of the page on Direct link limitation and folder name format..)

3. Go to SD and start a post or thread. Click "Go Advanced" , Scroll down and see " Manage Attachments" and click "add files"...gives option to upload from your computer or from or a "website" select "website". Paste image location into the address bar for the url of the file.

manager website.jpg

4. Click upload

5. Then select "insert inline" ( For more info on basic photo uploading on SimplyDiscus see...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...osting-changes )

The above procedure will allow you upload the image from offsite host to the attachment manager here same as if you were uploading from your desktop computer.

Option 2:
    ***** See Note*****

1) Open photobucket select picture
    2) Copy the direct link (on right)

direct link.jpg

3) Start new thread on SD or post on SD
    4) Select the insert image icon

selectimage.jpg

5)Check the from url tab

fromUrl.jpg

6) Make sure the Retrieve remote file and reference locally tab is selected

7) Select ok

***********Direct link limitations, Please note ************** This method only works if your images on photobucket are in folders with one word names. If you have folders with spaces in the names you will get an "error invalid file" message when you try this. For example , you can upload from a photobucket folder name "discus".. You can not do so with this method if your folder is named "Discus in the BUFF". You would be best to use option 1 if you store your images in multiword folders. You can however upload fine if the words use old styleunder scores for folder format...such as Discus_in_the_Buff.

Special thanks to Rick aka nc0gnet0 for helping me work out the details to this second option and fine tuning the first.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-25-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Just as an update, please remember that this section is to "Document Strain Names and their associated pictures" ONLY

If you would like to know what a certain type of discus might be, there are other sections for that as well as any other questions. This section is strictly for specific strains and their associated pictures.

Thank you.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com