AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Mauro, I just sent you a PM, I am experiencing the same thing with little nitrates, so I don't know that Nitrates are the answer. I know exactly (and this time I do mean exactly) what you are going through and I know its hard to watch.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by 2013 View Post
    You may want to try using Japanese yellow power 5g per pack as 1g treat 100 litre of water together with salt as I using 3 to 4 tea spoon per 100 litres at 32 degC. Water change daily 20 percent and re dose the power you have replace. Treatment for 1 week.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I decided to do more frequent water changes and the results are positive. As I explain in the other thread in the disease section the fish is doing better and there was no darting today.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Mauro, I just sent you a PM, I am experiencing the same thing with little nitrates, so I don't know that Nitrates are the answer. I know exactly (and this time I do mean exactly) what you are going through and I know its hard to watch.
    I am sorry to learn you are going through a very similar problem. Yes, it is painful to see the fish darting, but wild discus keepers often have to deal with it. I wish you good luck with your group of greens.

Real Name
    Mauro

Bad turn of events The darting Cuipeua seemed to do better for a few days but started darting again yesterday. Today I decided to cull the fish. Sad day. It was a beautiful Cuipeua and one of the fish that was showing signs of pairing. Now I only hope the other 5 fish will be fine.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really sorry to hear Mauro
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Sad day Mauro

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Sorry to hear man, I feel like with wilds there always a risk with that whirling thing... I experienced the same thing you went thru so I know exactly how that feels, and it's always the nicest one that seem to get it to...

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Mauro im so sorry you had to cull the fish. Mine is going through a 3 day streak of no spazzing out. If I start seeing it again I will have to make the same decision you did. Good luck and I hope none of the others start showing it.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Sounds like "whirling" and I'm curious at your water change regime. Please dón't cull the fish,...you guy's seen my Lago Amana male right? It almost died 2 times becouse of freaking out/whirling. Later it spawned succesfully after I reduced the percentage of waterchanges to 30% to 40% 2 times a week. It doesn't cost a thing so please try this before culling the fish. Also make sure the water qualety is stable (conductivety between 200 and 300 mS) and please stop adding stuf to the water,...just a mix of tap and RO.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Really sorry to hear Mauro
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Sad day Mauro
    Quote Originally Posted by winn0923 View Post
    Sorry to hear man, I feel like with wilds there always a risk with that whirling thing... I experienced the same thing you went thru so I know exactly how that feels, and it's always the nicest one that seem to get it to...
    Thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Mauro im so sorry you had to cull the fish. Mine is going through a 3 day streak of no spazzing out. If I start seeing it again I will have to make the same decision you did. Good luck and I hope none of the others start showing it.
    Thank you, Jacklyn. It is so nice to learn that your fish is doing better. Good luck with your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    Sounds like "whirling" and I'm curious at your water change regime. Please dón't cull the fish,...you guy's seen my Lago Amana male right? It almost died 2 times becouse of freaking out/whirling. Later it spawned succesfully after I reduced the percentage of waterchanges to 30% to 40% 2 times a week. It doesn't cost a thing so please try this before culling the fish. Also make sure the water qualety is stable (conductivety between 200 and 300 mS) and please stop adding stuf to the water,...just a mix of tap and RO.
    I culled the fish already. It was in a very bad shape. As far as my water regime goes, I do two 60% WCs per week. I use a mix of 28% tap / 72% RO, which results in a TDS of 91 ppm. Before the fish started darting I did not add anything to the water. Only today I started a PP treatment.

Just started my first PP bath. I took the driftwood, the sponge filter and the corydoras out of the tank. So far so good. They look fine. I will keep everyone posted about the group is doing.

Real Name
    Mauro

Update on the PP treatment - Here is how it went: I did a 60% WC to take as much organic matter from the tank as possible and then added PP for a 2ppm solution. One hour and half later, the water started turning brown, suggesting that PP was not active anymore. Added the same dose of PP again. The treatment lasted 4 hours as recommended. I did another 60% WC, using Prime, which is supposed to neutralize PP. The water still looked light orange/yellowish, so I added 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, which neutralizes PP. The water looks almost clear now.

The fish look fine after treatment, although some of them lost some slime coat (normal, right? Did you notice the same Pat?).

And here is a dirty little secret: I am treating not only the 5 remaining Cuipeuas that I got from Mark, but also 2 new Uatuma blues I got from John. I know, I know, no quarentine and it is crazy to add fish in the middle of this mess. But 5 is not a good number and the 2 Cuipeuas at the bottom at the pecking order were not doing well. They were being constantly beaten and were not managing to eat. Moreover, Mark was not getting more red wilds from WB Sabby this season and John had only a few Uatumas left, so I decided I could not wait.

If things go wrong, I am the only one responsible...

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mauro, glad the fish seem fine after the PP treatment. During the treatment when my water went to brown I dosed enough to bring the water to a purple color which for me was about 25% of the full strength treatment or about 35 drops (140 drops for full treatment). My guys did not lose any slime coat.

BTW, one fish started darting last night so I will do a PP treatment today (which makes one every 48 hours) and begin the formalin tomorrow. Mauro, if you decide to use formalin make sure the water is free of any PP or Hydrogen Peroxide so a 90% WC prior to adding the formalin (directions from Al).

Real Name
    Mauro

Hi Mauro, glad the fish seem fine after the PP treatment. During the treatment when my water went to brown I dosed enough to bring the water to a purple color which for me was about 25% of the full strength treatment or about 35 drops (140 drops for full treatment). My guys did not lose any slime coat.

BTW, one fish started darting last night so I will do a PP treatment today (which makes one every 48 hours) and begin the formalin tomorrow. Mauro, if you decide to use formalin make sure the water is free of any PP or Hydrogen Peroxide so a 90% WC prior to adding the formalin (directions from Al).
    Thank you, Pat. The fish looked very well today in the morning, with good colors and appetite. I hope my relatively strong re-dose of PP will not have any negative effects. I am planning one more PP treatment and then formalin.

I am very sorry to hear that darting continues. Good luck with treatment. By the say, which formalin product will you be using?

Real Name
    Pat

That is great news Mauro I ordered mine here http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Extern...rmalin-MS.aspx and got the 16 oz size. Expedited shipping was only $3 extra.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

If your fish shed slime coat I'd say you overdid the PP a bit. If they're showing no ill effects now from it IME with domestics they're probably fine and you likely really knocked the $#$! out of any bacteria you had in the tank. Here's hoping the PP does the trick for you.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mauro

That is great news Mauro I ordered mine here http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Extern...rmalin-MS.aspx and got the 16 oz size. Expedited shipping was only $3 extra.
    Thank you, Pat. I have ordered it!

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    If your fish shed slime coat I'd say you overdid the PP a bit. If they're showing no ill effects now from it IME with domestics they're probably fine and you likely really knocked the $#$! out of any bacteria you had in the tank. Here's hoping the PP does the trick for you.
    Thank you, Keith. Let me be more precise with what happened. I actually could not see the fish very well after the PP treatment yesterday, since the tank light was off and only the room light was on. I noticed that one fish had shed some slime and when doing the WC I could see floating stuff that I assumed to be slime from the Cuipeua. However, it could have been other organic staff affected by the PP treatment. So I actually did not see much change in the fish. Anyway, they look good today, which is a relief.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast