ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Update about the last 8 days. The Cuipeua that started darting only got worse. The following day it was laying on the bottom, barely breathing. I was forced to cull it. Very sad Here is an older pic of the fish I just lost:

Only this year I lost 4 wilds for the whirling disease. Not a got come back to the hobby, I should say. I had thoughts of giving up, but decided to keep going.

On a brighter note: the pair spawned again today. They had done it last week, but ate the eggs again. So this time I am using a mesh over the cone. Here is the pair today after the spawn:

And here is mom attending to the eggs:

Then I put the mesh over the cone:

No, they are not drinking while breeding. The goal of the glass on the top of the mesh is to keep it in place. The only mesh I found at Home Depot floats, so this was my solution.

The other two Cuipeuas in the other side of the tank are doing well:

In my 48g quarantine tank, the situation with the two Laranjal discus I bought from John continues basically the same. One is doing well and coloring up nicely:

The other one often has clamped fins and is more lethargic:

I might need to treat this tank soon.

So these are the news. I have a question: When should I remove the mesh? Right after I get wigglers?

Registered Member

My two cents ...

This is my experience while treating the Whirling disease. I had wild fishes in two tanks showing the symptoms. The interesting thing i noted is that at a time only one fish was showing the symptom. The first tank i lost two of them and then on checking with lot of folks I got the following suggestion. This was from a reputed breeder in Asia (I was told not to put his name anywhere ). He asked me to use tetracycline and Metronidazole. The dosage for both is 750 mg per 100 liters of water. In case the fishes still show the symptoms after 24 hrs of treatment increase the dosage to 1gm per 100 liters. As a last resort i tried it in both my tanks and since then for the last one month the fishes have not shown the symptoms. He specifically told me not to use light during the treatment. Also keep the temperature at 31 degrees. The treatment was suggested for 6 days and after 24 hrs do 25% water and dose the medicines appropriately. It worked for me. So in the worst case you may want to give it a try. Also he was suggesting that I should be treating all the fishes in the tank and not only the fish that was showing the symptoms.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
    My two cents ...

This is my experience while treating the Whirling disease. I had wild fishes in two tanks showing the symptoms. The interesting thing i noted is that at a time only one fish was showing the symptom. The first tank i lost two of them and then on checking with lot of folks I got the following suggestion. This was from a reputed breeder in Asia (I was told not to put his name anywhere ). He asked me to use tetracycline and Metronidazole. The dosage for both is 750 mg per 100 liters of water. In case the fishes still show the symptoms after 24 hrs of treatment increase the dosage to 1gm per 100 liters. As a last resort i tried it in both my tanks and since then for the last one month the fishes have not shown the symptoms. He specifically told me not to use light during the treatment. Also keep the temperature at 31 degrees. The treatment was suggested for 6 days and after 24 hrs do 25% water and dose the medicines appropriately. It worked for me. So in the worst case you may want to give it a try. Also he was suggesting that I should be treating all the fishes in the tank and not only the fish that was showing the symptoms.
    Thanks a lot for sharing the details of this treatment. Sounds good. I might try it soon in my QT tank, as soon as I get some extra time with family and work.

So, folks, when do I take the mesh out of the tank? As soon as I get wigglers?

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Mauro, as soon as the fry attach to the parents you can take the mesh out. That will no longer be necessary. If parents eat the fry then you may want to try artificially raising the next spawn.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Mauro, as soon as the fry attach to the parents you can take the mesh out. That will no longer be necessary. If parents eat the fry then you may want to try artificially raising the next spawn.
    Thank you, Mark. I was thinking that the parents would not be able to "spit" the wigglers back to the cone if there is a mesh. Nice to know that I can leave the mesh there until attachment.

Real Name
    Fred

Sorry to hear about your lose again Mauro. The remaining Cuipeua, look good.

I hope you keep going, that pair laying eggs for you is really nice... Yes they will spit them back through the mesh, its almost as if there were no mesh. I remove the mesh when they are free swimming.

Cheers,

Fred

Real Name
    Ricardo

Man Mauro, you have not had great luck lately with the whirling disease. I hope you are a "cub half full" type of guy and hopefully these pairs can be successful for you and soon you will be swimming in discus

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    Sorry to hear about your lose again Mauro. The remaining Cuipeua, look good.
    Thank you.

I hope you keep going, that pair laying eggs for you is really nice...
    Yes, I love the pair. I am not going to give up, but I am considering keeping the pair and selling the other discus. The setbacks have been kind of overwhelming ...

Yes they will spit them back through the mesh, its almost as if there were no mesh. I remove the mesh when they are free swimming.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Man Mauro, you have not had great luck lately with the whirling disease. I hope you are a "cub half full" type of guy and hopefully these pairs can be successful for you and soon you will be swimming in discus
    Thank you, I do see breeding as "making up" for the fish I lost. But as I said, I am now considering keeping only the pair. I am currently having more success and fun raising my batch of wild Imbellis betta fry than with the wilds

By the way, I never got wiggles from the last spawn, which is weird. May be the male did not fertilize the eggs. I will try again.

Real Name
    Mauro

Speaking of trying again, the pair is spawning right at this minute. I never get tired of watching these beautiful and elegant movements. Hopefully things will work this time. I will let them finish the job. Last time i think I put the mesh too early because I was afraid they would eat the eggs. This time I will make sure the male will make all the runs he needs before putting the mesh in place Wish me good luck.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Speaking of trying again, the pair is spawning right at this minute. I never get tired of watching these beautiful and elegant movements. Hopefully things will work this time. I will let them finish the job. Last time i think I put the mesh too early because I was afraid they would eat the eggs. This time I will make sure the male will make all the runs he needs before putting the mesh in place Wish me good luck.
    Good luck Mauro! Record the wonderful grace of these creatures during thier "dance"

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Fred

Good Luck Mauro... Will keep our fingers crossed !!!

Real Name
    Mauro

Good luck Mauro! Record the wonderful grace of these creatures during thier "dance"
    Thank you, Rick. I did not record them this time, but in case you missed, here is a previous video of them in the act:

I have the impression that the male lost interest in spawning. He did several runs, but then abandoned the action near the cone. The female then started to approach him as if trying to lure him back to the cone. Has anyone seen this?

Anyway, the eggs might not have been fertilized. Will see...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Absolutely stunning

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Crossing fingers for you Mauro
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mauro

Good Luck Mauro... Will keep our fingers crossed !!!
    Absolutely stunning
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Crossing fingers for you Mauro
    Pat
    Thank you, everyone.

Mesh in place. Let's see if I get wigglers this time.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast