ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The fish look great Mauro and that red is really popping. Like you the camera doesn't do the fish justice.
    Yes, Pat, the camera does not show the actual color of this fish. It looks amazing in person. Here is another pic taken today:

Hope the increased WCs do the trick.
    Will see. Started doing daily WCs. But there are signs of trouble. I lost a corydora today. And one of the Cuipeuas is more lethargic than the others. Hopefully these are not signs of problems to come

Quote Originally Posted by 2013 View Post
    Welcome back to the hobby. Love your wild discus
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Mauro, You don't know me but I followed your past threads faithfully. Congrats on your return and great wilds. Keep us updated please.. Thanks.. David
    Thank you. Nice to know some people follow and enjoy the Cuipeuas.

And now a bit of good news. Some of the Cuipeuas went from being skittish to being lustful A pair is forming! These two guys are staring at the outake of the canister filter and keeping all other Cuipeuas away in the other side of the tank:

No quivering or shimming yet, but it looks promising.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Lucky dog Mauro. I am trying to trigger mine. Lots of pushing and some nice halos but nothing firm. I spoke to Mark about the age of these fish and he thinks it is possible that the males are young yet. Perhaps you will prove otherwise.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Mauro I have a marineland singlebright 36" fixture on my 75 gal 48" tank just like you. I too have new wild fish and I agree that your fixture is not too bright at all. the singlebright is a perfect low light for the wild tank. I agree that you should try some tannins. it will help with the natural antioxidants that your fish need to fight off infection/disease. I use the Rooibos tea with my wild greens that was recommended to me by Pat.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Yes, Pat, the camera does not show the actual color of this fish. It looks amazing in person. Here is another pic taken today:

Will see. Started doing daily WCs. But there are signs of trouble. I lost a corydora today. And one of the Cuipeuas is more lethargic than the others. Hopefully these are not signs of problems to come

Mauro,

What are the tank parameters and how about quality of water in terms of nitrates? I never like to hear anything going on negatively with the fish so definitely want to stay on top of things and make sure to resolve any small issues before they become problems. Is the lethargic discus the lowest one on the totem pole? Has it been an aggressive eater and all of a sudden off its food?

Any details on the corydora? Was it bloated or any damage to the body/fins? Any aggression from discus towards them?
    Mark

Real Name
    Mauro

Lucky dog Mauro. I am trying to trigger mine. Lots of pushing and some nice halos but nothing firm. I spoke to Mark about the age of these fish and he thinks it is possible that the males are young yet. Perhaps you will prove otherwise.
    Pat
    It is just the beginning, Pat. My other Cuipeuas took months after these first signs of pairing before they actually started to breed. But it is a relief to see them settling.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Mauro I have a marineland singlebright 36" fixture on my 75 gal 48" tank just like you. I too have new wild fish and I agree that your fixture is not too bright at all. the singlebright is a perfect low light for the wild tank. I agree that you should try some tannins. it will help with the natural antioxidants that your fish need to fight off infection/disease. I use the Rooibos tea with my wild greens that was recommended to me by Pat.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice to know you have a similar setup. I might try tannis, but I don't want to add another factor to the mix right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Mauro,

What are the tank parameters and how about quality of water in terms of nitrates? I never like to hear anything going on negatively with the fish so definitely want to stay on top of things and make sure to resolve any small issues before they become problems. Is the lethargic discus the lowest one on the totem pole? Has it been an aggressive eater and all of a sudden off its food?
    I will test for nitrates tomorrow and will let you know about the results. The lethargic fish is eating, but contrary to the others he expends most of the time in a corner. He is not at the bottom of the pecking order and there isn't too much harassment towards him/her.

Any details on the corydora? Was it bloated or any damage to the body/fins? Any aggression from discus towards them?
    No sign of problem at all with the corydora. It looked normal.

As long as it's eating like normal I wouldn't worry too much at this point, when fish are off the food is when red flags go up. It could just be the shy or cautious one of the group.
    Mark

Oh my... they are so gorgeous. You always have the luck with wilds, already have a pair forming! congrats!

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by XAnhLe View Post
    Oh my... they are so gorgeous. You always have the luck with wilds, already have a pair forming! congrats!
    Thank you.

As long as it's eating like normal I wouldn't worry too much at this point, when fish are off the food is when red flags go up. It could just be the shy or cautious one of the group.
    I don' have good news. The fish that was lethargic just started to dart all around the tank. It did it twice and has some bad scratches on the side. It seems I will end up in the disease section again

uh oh .. darting is not good, my suggestion is to turn off the light for now

Real Name
    Pat

Darn Mauro, turn off the tank lights for a couple days and feed lightly. Do small WCs. Jacklyn who has some new Tefe is experiencing this also.
    Pat

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by winn0923 View Post
    uh oh .. darting is not good, my suggestion is to turn off the light for now
    Darn Mauro, turn off the tank lights for a couple days and feed lightly. Do small WCs. Jacklyn who has some new Tefe is experiencing this also.
    Pat
    Thank you both. I have switched the lights off. And I have opened a thread in the disease section:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...23#post1143623

One problem is that I have high levels of nitrate but I am not supposed to do large WCs. It seems I am in conundrum... Please go the other other thread to provide advice if you can.

Thank you both. I have switched the lights off. And I have opened a thread in the disease section:

One problem is that I have high levels of nitrate but I am not supposed to do large WCs. It seems I am in conundrum... Please go the other other thread to provide advice if you can.
    Mauro,

Nitrates are definitely too high especially for wilds. Any reason you're not suppose to do large WCs?
    Mark

Real Name
    Mauro

Mauro,

Nitrates are definitely too high especially for wilds. Any reason you're not suppose to do large WCs?
    I am going to do the WC now. About large WC x darting, see Pat's post #55 above.

Real Name
    Pat

Mauro, if I recall correctly high nitrates can be a cause for darting.

Registered Member

You may want to try using Japanese yellow power 5g per pack as 1g treat 100 litre of water together with salt as I using 3 to 4 tea spoon per 100 litres at 32 degC. Water change daily 20 percent and re dose the power you have replace. Treatment for 1 week.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast