AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see those sumps

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Lets see those sumps

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    I've been researching the same thing and I am completely lost. Please keep the posts coming!
    What area are you getting lost in? I have a spreadsheet with sooo many entries on sumps/overflows/plumbing that my head spins, lol. I can probably try to answer your question though. I made this thread to get an idea for better media placement in FW setups since all the research I have done is geared more towards SW tanks and they tend to include a fuge and skimmer sections which I am not too interested in. I'm thinking more along the lines of poret foam, and a whole lot of ceramic rings and such. Trying to stay away from K1 just due to cost alone.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hi this is my built in 30 gallon sump, 1st compartment is sponge filters and biomedia, 2nd is biomedia including seachem matrix, 3rd is filter floss, the last compartment is the return which houses the pump with built in UV and the heaters image.jpgimage.jpg

Registered Member

Ricardo
    You mention having to WELD the acrylic. You don't have to, use silicone to hold the baffles in place. One of the pictures shows that. I do it all the time and believe me it works.
    Jay

Real Name
    Matt

Jay, I agree it can work but it may not always be the best option. Depends what you are going for. Will it work? Yes. Will it be structurally sound and water tight? No. The silicone more or less wedges the acrylic in place rather than sealing it or bonding to it like it would glass. It won't be a pressure holding load either, we probably don't have tons of pressure going through our sumps....but still just something to think about. Of course there is a full range of silicone products that bond to different materials, but then you get into is this safe for the aquarium discussion yada yada yada. Again, it will work but more or less as a wedge rather than a seal.....which in most cases would be fine for sump baffles just be aware of this going in.

Acrylic will expand slightly in water and especially in warm water so I'd shave down the sides just a hair to compensate. As long as they have some play and you don't have to use your full weight to force them down in the tank you should be fine.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I agree Matt. I plan on welding for POM. I'm not sure how to pin weld there and I'm assuming that no one does, but then again I've never welded acrylic. I'm planning on possibly getting some acrylic this upcoming week. Going with 1/4 with weld on 4

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Here's my simple guy. Water in on right, 2 poret dividers, plants to suck up some nitrates, 1 fine poret divider and then pump back up to the tank. The water flow is slow enough that it acts as a HamburgMatten filter but still turn over the tank 3 times an hour. Ignore the emeim I was using as a reactor, took that out, it wasn't needed.

By the way the flow rate is really simple if you use an overflow or drill near the top of the water line. What ever speed your return pump is sending water up, that will be the amount that spills over and comes back down.

aquarium 002.jpg
    Last edited by Loosir; 03-07-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Cool sump loosir. I'm planning on roughly 750gph in the 75g. This is accounting for head loss and bends. Pretty set on waveline dc4000. That's if I can find one not back stocked

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Cool sump loosir. I'm planning on roughly 750gph in the 75g. This is accounting for head loss and bends. Pretty set on waveline dc4000. That's if I can find one not back stocked
    Nice, but why turn the tank over 10 times an hour? I've read that 1 or 2 times is all that's needed to get the fresh waste out of the display, and the longer the water is in contact (slower movement) with the bacteria in your media the more of it is converted down to nitrate. That's only my thoughts, and my tanks only been up and running since july.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Because of the overflow I plan on doing I need a higher gph. If it is too low it messes with the dynamics of the bean animal system. Factor in baffles and bends and media, I'm probably looking at a lot less than the 750 target. Additionally, that pump allows me to dial it down since it is a dc pump and it has a feeding button mode where you push it and it turns back on by itself 30 minutes later which I will need due to the weir setup.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Here's a photo of my prefilter, I'm really proud of this little DIY 004.JPG
    I had some leftover babyfood mesh. It's those things you put fruit in and then you baby can suck the juice out. They fit perfectly on the pvc.

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Because of the overflow I plan on doing I need a higher gph. If it is too low it messes with the dynamics of the bean animal system. Factor in baffles and bends and media, I'm probably looking at a lot less than the 750 target. Additionally, that pump allows me to dial it down since it is a dc pump and it has a feeding button mode where you push it and it turns back on by itself 30 minutes later which I will need due to the weir setup.
    So cool!! Can't wait to see it.

Real Name
    Matt

Will you be using an ATO with this as well Ricardo?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Will you be using an ATO with this as well Ricardo?
    I'm thinking of leaving a large-ish area for the return pump but I think an ato would be a good addition

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

My 2 Versions
    Added a Herbie totally silent (didn't realize how much noise the durso was making)
    From this

To this
    Hygrophila difformis, Giant Hygro 'Narrow Leaf ', Riccia fluitans,
    Tradescantia zebrine, Variety of Mint plants

4 Vero 13’s, 9600 = lumens/Flux

Real Name
    Ricardo

cool Ken. I noticed in Loosir and your design that you guys didn't use traditional baffles. Is there a reason for that? Do you deal with spill over or over the "baffle" problems by not having a set water line?

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast