ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see those sumps

Registered Member

Default Re: Lets see those sumps

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    cool Ken. I noticed in Loosir and your design that you guys didn't use traditional baffles. Is there a reason for that? Do you deal with spill over or over the "baffle" problems by not having a set water line?
    Baffles in a SW setup are for catching micro bubbles and maintaining a set water depth for protein skimmers, they are tuned to a certain water depth. Usually a SW sump will have a small area to add make up water with a ATO also, In a SW setup they would stay away from foam, the term is nitrate factory.

In a FW sump foam is not a problem, part of filtration, catches bubbles, and a greater volume for water reserve/ Water Level

This is another topic but if you are going to use s sump you have to choose which overflow you will use, My tank came drilled for durso style, I just changed from durso to a herbie style, I didn't know how much noise the durso made, the herbie is totally quite.

Drilling a tank your self is easy, so choose a overflow that works out best for you.

Good Luck

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Baffles in a SW setup are for catching micro bubbles and maintaining a set water depth for protein skimmers, they are tuned to a certain water depth. Usually a SW sump will have a small area to add make up water with a ATO also, In a SW setup they would stay away from foam, the term is nitrate factory.

In a FW sump foam is not a problem, part of filtration, catches bubbles, and a greater volume for water reserve/ Water Level

This is another topic but if you are going to use s sump you have to choose which overflow you will use, My tank came drilled for durso style, I just changed from durso to a herbie style, I didn't know how much noise the durso made, the herbie is totally quite.

Drilling a tank your self is easy, so choose a overflow that works out best for you.

Good Luck
    thanks. I am set on an overflow setup. I do plan on going with baffles though because I need to account for spill back from an overflow box and I'd rather not run the risk of flooding. I like the poret foam idea but it just seems like build up would cause the water to just raise after a while and might make the whole sump area messy which I want to avoid.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Hey Ricardo,
    To answer your question, I was not sure what baffles were for, I just bought a 20gal tank and filled it with poret. I basically modeled my sump off the wet sump filter setup the image on the poret sump page. I'm pretty sure its identical to dprais1's in the #9 post

http://poretfoam.com/sump-filter-media.php

My water line is pretty steady. As long as I pump up less water than the max that can drain back down it hits an equilibrium. Mine is silent and does not have a suction effect so no gurgling, it's just a drilled hole in the back of the aquarium and pvc down. Also like dprais1's if the pump fails, it drains only a certain amount till the water line of the display is below the drain. I've had two power failures so far and the display does not drain more than the sump can hold.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Loosir; 03-08-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    Hey Ricardo,
    To answer your question, I was not sure what baffles were for, I just bought a 20gal tank and filled it with poret. I basically modeled my sump off the wet sump filter setup the image on the poret sump page. I'm pretty sure its identical to dprais1's in the #9 post

http://poretfoam.com/sump-filter-media.php

My water line is pretty steady. As long as I pump up less water than the max that can drain back down it hits an equilibrium. Mine is silent and does not have a suction effect so no gurgling, it's just a drilled hole in the back of the aquarium and pvc down. Also like dprais1's if the pump fails, it drains only a certain amount till the water line of the display is below the drain. I've had two power failures so far and the display does not drain more than the sump can hold.

Hope that helps
    I like the vertical idea with egg crate as a barrier for each. It would be a mechanical trickle down of sorts I suppose. With this setup however, I can pretty certainly say that my setup may just overflow the poret sheets. Are the poret sheets the only structural barrier, or do you have something to keep it in place?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

I like the vertical idea with egg crate as a barrier for each. It would be a mechanical trickle down of sorts I suppose. With this setup however, I can pretty certainly say that my setup may just overflow the poret sheets. Are the poret sheets the only structural barrier, or do you have something to keep it in place?
    Just wedged in place and they do not move. BTW the wet/dry vertical setup is what Discus Hans set up is, (I believe).

Real Name
    Ricardo

Lets see if I can get a little more traffic here on my possible sump setup. I am worried that C & D baffles may be incorrectly oriented. Please let me know if this design would work or not. I am planning on putting ceramic media in panty hose in the middle chamber.

Attachment 85352
    Attachment 85354

Edit: I didn't draw it in, but in the side view shot, right in the middle of B baffle and B-2 Baffle, there will be a black sponge there as well.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Ricardo, that is about the same baffle set up that I came up with. I've seen a few videos of sumps set up that way. Mine is gonna be a bit smaller I'm going with a 20 long that I had lying around. Looks like you'll have plenty of room for extra water in there in case of power outage. I'm going to do bio media in the first chamber refugium in the second pump in the last. How big and what kind of heaters are you going with?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Mgus View Post
    Ricardo, that is about the same baffle set up that I came up with. I've seen a few videos of sumps set up that way. Mine is gonna be a bit smaller I'm going with a 20 long that I had lying around. Looks like you'll have plenty of room for extra water in there in case of power outage. I'm going to do bio media in the first chamber refugium in the second pump in the last. How big and what kind of heaters are you going with?
    2x 200w Jager heaters which are roughly 16.5" long each.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dan

thanks. I am set on an overflow setup. I do plan on going with baffles though because I need to account for spill back from an overflow box and I'd rather not run the risk of flooding. I like the poret foam idea but it just seems like build up would cause the water to just raise after a while and might make the whole sump area messy which I want to avoid.
    I'm not sure what you mean...but with a 2" piece of the finest poret foam and a shhet of 'filter sock material' in front of it, when the filter sock material was really dirty the water level would raise maybe an inch in that section. I could not foresee any responsible discus keeper allowing as much junk to collect on a filter sock sheet as I did with a tank dedicated to rainbowfish. So I can't see how water raising would ever be an issue.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean...but with a 2" piece of the finest poret foam and a shhet of 'filter sock material' in front of it, when the filter sock material was really dirty the water level would raise maybe an inch in that section. I could not foresee any responsible discus keeper allowing as much junk to collect on a filter sock sheet as I did with a tank dedicated to rainbowfish. So I can't see how water raising would ever be an issue.
    true, but you should keep in mind that if I were to do a no baffle setup, then I'd have to maintain the water level very low because I have an internal AND external overflow box that has drain back close to 10gallons. That would drastically reduce my working height. I see how poret foam is a great option though. What media do you use in your filter currently?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dan

true, but you should keep in mind that if I were to do a no baffle setup, then I'd have to maintain the water level very low because I have an internal AND external overflow box that has drain back close to 10gallons. That would drastically reduce my working height. I see how poret foam is a great option though. What media do you use in your filter currently?
    I'm not sure it is relevant.

For my discus grow out tanks 1 sponge filter IV and one dual sponge filter.
    For my angels I use an Eheim 2217 with marine pure balls and a AC50 with filter floss

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm not sure it is relevant.

For my discus grow out tanks 1 sponge filter IV and one dual sponge filter.
    For my angels I use an Eheim 2217 with marine pure balls and a AC50 with filter floss
    Do you happen to know how a Bean Animal Overflow operates? There is a lot of drain back in to the sump. If I have the sump set up in the manner that you currently have it, I would overflow my sump when I turn off the power. I believe that is relevent.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dan

sure you would overflow the poret foam when you turned off the power. but when power is on it would return to normal.

IMHO, IMO, IME the simplicity of a poret foam only, or mainly, far outweighs the benefits of any other type of sump.

Real Name
    Ricardo

sure you would overflow the poret foam when you turned off the power. but when power is on it would return to normal.

IMHO, IMO, IME the simplicity of a poret foam only, or mainly, far outweighs the benefits of any other type of sump.
    I appreciate your opinion

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tristan

I'm a newbie to this forum and Discus keeping, so please forgive my ignorance/stupidity.

I have 20 yrs with reef keeping/salt water. My understanding was that a sump not only increased the total volume to dilute waste and equalize the specific gravity, but also to remove nutrients which would otherwise create algae, etc problems. Essentially SW is "nutrient free" as compared with FW. With fresh water and discus systems, water quality is high, but there is need for a nutrient rich system to feed your planted aquarium.

Are those of you running a sump with protein skimmer bare-bottom tanks, where the excess nutrient load causes poorer water quality?

I am in the planning stages of a 125 gal planted discus tank, after dismantling my reef system (and cleaning/sterilizing it). In my reef system NO3 was kept at zero. My understanding is that I want around 3-5 NO3 in my new set-up. Thanks

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast