AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros vs Cons of beefheart

Default Re: Pros vs Cons of beefheart

daily water changes.. is probably more important that the actual food you feed them.. *genetics helps too*..

but good food WITH Daily water changes is Optimal..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Justin

JMHO
    Pros:
    Promotes fast growth
    High in protein
    Low In Fat
    Cheap
    Easily Accessible (US at least)

Cons:
    Messy
    Fowls water quickly

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Boyer

Where do you get cheap beefheart? I'm getting back into fish (and discus) after a 10 year break... 10-15 years ago when I had discus I made my own food, but I remember even then that BH was nearly impossible to find. I would like to start making my food again (if my wife will let me... last time I made it, my finger got caught in the grinder and we had to go to the ER... she will not let me live that one down), but I dread driving all over town trying to find a source of BH.
    Please point us in the US to these "Easily Accessible" and "Cheap" sources of BH.

Quote Originally Posted by dpboyer View Post
    Where do you get cheap beefheart? I'm getting back into fish (and discus) after a 10 year break... 10-15 years ago when I had discus I made my own food, but I remember even then that BH was nearly impossible to find. I would like to start making my food again (if my wife will let me... last time I made it, my finger got caught in the grinder and we had to go to the ER... she will not let me live that one down), but I dread driving all over town trying to find a source of BH.
    Please point us in the US to these "Easily Accessible" and "Cheap" sources of BH.
    Where in planet Earth are you located?
    Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance.

Real Name
    Matt

I also had a pretty hard time finding it in my area. I eventually found it at 2 places. 1 a local high-end butcher shop but it was pretty expensive. And the 2nd place was an Argentinian Market where it was very cheap. I have heard many people buy it at Fiesta supermarket, which is like a Mexican supermarket. I have also heard you can order it at some local supermakets (like wholefoods) meat department. So check any ethnic food places in your area and/or try a good butcher.

Real Name
    Christopher G

I've bought beef heart from Albertsons. The manager from the meat department would order it and they would also clean it and ground it up for me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Downey, California. You should have no problem finding it at a Mexican market. I get it at a Mexican market in northern California.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I just buy it from Josie! It's alot easier and I get to visit her and Miranda for a while!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by dpboyer View Post
    Maybe I am just lucky but I have a butcher shop about a mile from my home that happens to slaughter. I spoke to the owner and I buy it in 20lb lots, he cleans it very well and grinds it for me. Last time I was through I paid 95.00 for 20 lbs processed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Boyer

Quote Originally Posted by Luis138 View Post
    Where in planet Earth are you located?
    10-15 years ago I was in Madison, WI... Now I live near Atlanta, GA.

Registered Member

If you have a Winn Dixie or Publics they can order it.
    Ron

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

After reading all the comments decided to watch the video and it does come across as an infomercial. Was there anything ingredient wise that might be beneficial to add to one's mix to improve on it?

Registered Member

Most of the time when people talk about feeding beef heart to other types of fish everyone goes on about how bad it is for them. What is different about discus that makes them an exception?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

It is a fine food for most fish. I have raised lots of different types of cichlids on it. Malawi's cannot handle the protein level though.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I know guys that swear by beefheart and have since before the dinosaurs..okay exaggerating. These breeders and hobbyists raise great fish on it. Massive Hatcheries use it...or some other heart meat. I used to make it by the hundreds of pounds..I used it and I sold It to others that still ask me for it!

I also know many that dont use it and either never have or have but moved away from it. Some of these guys raise some darn fine fish as well. I use it to a very small degree these days...but I am not currently running a hatchery.

If you take those 2 facts at face value... my take home is this..yes you can feed it..yes it works...but its not necessary as a discus food. ...add to that I would never feed it in a tank with substrate or plants...its too messy.You also need to do large and frequent water changes.

Discus do well on quite a few different kinds of food ...some work better for one hobbyist than the other..not sure thats the fault of the fish though ...more likely the fish keepers husbandry and preferences.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast