AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Joe Gargas ' Aqua Reserrch Center - DEAD fish!

Registered Member

Default Joe Gargas ' Aqua Reserrch Center - DEAD fish!

Been trying to find some German Rams for several months (healthy ones! ) I looked here, first - of course but didn't find any. I really only buy Discus from Kenny, Cardinal tetra from a local breeder LFS owner & I didn't have 'go-to' for ram.
    I found a seller on Aqua Bid who had a 90+ seller rating....not terrible but not stellar either. Had free shipping based on his use of a new 'breathe-able' bag the fish are shipped in with about 2 oz. of water each! I was Leary but seemed feasible and his price was $34 for 7 GBR. 3 - 4 months old. I happened to have a cycled 20 gallon Q/T tank available – so why not.
    Well, now i remember why I only buy from our vendors here!
    8 fish arrived - he threw in a freebie. Just in case! All 8 were dead!
    The box was small but well packed. Box w/in a box secured with a spray foam to prevent extra movement. There was a heat pad inside ($3) which wasn't warm but the interior box didn’t feel cold either. There was a distinct rotten fish odor without opening any of the plastic bags. His refund/replace instructions require they not be open. The first bag (of 4) was a disgusting brown color with feces floating everywhere. 2 dead disintegrating fish inside. The next 3 bags weren't as visibly dirty but all had feces, smelled and had a pair of dead fish. Picture attached.
    I emailed and called him. My first call he rudely said I'm making fish food call me back and hung up. I called back in an hour. He tried to blame me for not bringing the box inside soon enough. It was on my patio maybe 2 hours. (Incidentally, the fish were bought Feb 10th with a 10 day delivery schedule. I received them 02/26). I reminded him he selected the shipping option - I had no say.
    He offered to replace them if I pay an additional $10 shipping charge! Why would pay more for the same shipment i should have received weeks ago healthy and alive? He reminded me he even included 1 free fish! ....1 free dead fish isn't of much value. Anyway, I'm trying to get a refund or replacement but thought everyone should know. Maybe the next would be buyer will research S.D. better than I before buying from Joe Gargas and his Aquatic Research Center AKA his house. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Joe Gargas ' Aqua Reserrch Center - DEAD fish!

I also bought fish from Joe and had a little better luck than you but not enough to buy from him again.

The shipping should be overnight or 2 days is the most.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I made the mistake of buying levamisole powder from that guy one time. He charged me $50 for a few grams. Later I found out I could buy 52 grams at Jeffers for $22. Man, did I feel silly.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    The shipping should be overnight or 2 days is the most.
    I have always had good luck with overnight or 2 day max but this was to use the new bag technology. It's the only way he offered shipping. Really dont mind trying something new but if no alternative i s offered seems like the seller needs to correct the problem. Thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDiscus View Post
    I made the mistake of buying levamisole powder from that guy one time. He charged me $50 for a few grams. Later I found out I could buy 52 grams at Jeffers for $22. Man, did I feel silly.
    wish I had found this out before I ordered.

Shane I see you are in Carrollton - Frisco here! I thought I was the only fish lover north of Austin!

Where do u live?

I have bought lots of fish from never had doa. It was probably weather related
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

All, please read this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...READ-THIS!!!!! which is a sticky in this section of the forum.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I had a similar experience with Joe Gargas a few years ago when I purchased some of his electric blue rams off of aquabid. He wrapped a heat pack in the center of the package and place the bags (4 total) with the fish on either side and nothing between the bags and the pack. Got the package within 3 days (I lived in AZ at the time), but the fish in the bags on either side and in direct contact with the heat pack were literally cooked, the water was actually hot when I opened the bags to dump the dead fish out. He did pack extra and the survivors from the bags on either end of the package grew to be pretty fish, but I always thought the lack of care for the poor fish in the center bags was a little disconcerting. I didn't and wouldn't order from him again.

Registered Member

To all

There is a discrepancy on the time when the fish were actually delivered and when he received them. According to the USPS documentation they sat on the freezing porch for a number of hours before he took them in. However, I will not call him a liar.

I decided to attempt to make it right and re-send the shipment including an extra as long as he paid for shipping this time around which was only $9.55. He went ballistic when I told him that and has begun to “bad mouth” me on a number of forums all for $9.55.

joeGargas
    Last edited by pcsb23; 03-02-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: removed insult.

Folks no personal insults please. Ta muchly.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.